The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A & B pedal adjustment
Jeffrey McFadden

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 2:30 pm    

Do you set your A & B pedal height parallel to the floor, or do you offset it to match your resting foot angle?

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 3:28 pm    

Ok, I'll go first. I set mine slightly higher than parallel to the floor.

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 4:32 pm    

I think what matters the most is the level the pedals reach when they are depressed. About 3/4 or 1 inch from the floor is about right. And I like then to be at the same level when depressed. Usually, that means that the A pedal will be higher than the B pedal when they are not depressed.

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 6:31 pm    

I set mine so I can push A or B without pressing the 'other' one! Smile

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 7:05 pm    

What Dave said.

Almost all players end up with the B-pedal lower than the A-pedal. But in the end, it's an ergonomic thing, so everybody is a little different in terms of degree.

Start by setting the B-pedal. I like my pedals as low as possible, but it's important to leave a little clearance for those odd times you'll be playing in god-knows-what: tall carpet or (gulp) grass. So I start by setting the B-pedal so that there's an inch clearance from the floor when it's down. It then becomes the standard for setting the other two pedals.

Some people like to have the pedals bottom out parallel to the floor... but here's the important calculation: you need to be able to comfortably rock your foot either way (stay on B, while rocking off of A... and vice versa). So, compare the two positions, and set A so that there is about the same clearance from the bottom of your shoe to whichever pedal you're currently hovering over.

Specifically, to test out the height of the A-pedal, you will slightly drop your hovering foot a half-inch or whatever until you feel it hit... to feel how far above it you are. And then do the same thing, but twisting your foot the other way, with A-pedal now down, to see how far above B you are.

In the end, it will be equally comfortable to twist your foot and make either move because you have equal clearance over both pedals when hovering. In all probability, your A-pedal will end up a half-inch or so higher than your B.

I do the same measurement for the C-pedal, but it's not as critical since, if doing a pedal rock, it's usually only one way (i.e. staying on B and rocking on and off of C. But not often the other way due to lack of musical need). C ends up higher than B, but maybe not as high as A.

Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 9:38 pm    

Tucker - that was a great explanation! Smile