The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  2018 Rick Alexander Room debrief
Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2018 8:14 am    

Wow... still coming down from the experience... a lot of work by a lot of people has brought a lot of fun and love.

I'd like to start by thanking people... first and foremost are the artists, without them there would be no show, these artists are not compensated in any way, it's a special gift they give to us. I'd have to say foremost among them is Carco Clave, not only for the two sets he gave us but for the hours and hours of guitar work backing up the rest of them. Ask the artists, they'll tell you... Carco helps them shine.

I think it's appropriate now to mention Albert and Debbie Talley... they sweat blood every year bringing this event off, they have taken the RANP room under their wing and we literally couldn't do it without their financial support... the room itself costs more than everything else combined (pizza too), so looking at the bottom line... they love the steel guitar as much or more than we do. Thank them when you see them, try to support the TSGA every chance you get.

Next I'd like to thank my emcees... they take the burden off me and allow me to get on with the nuts and bolts behind the curtain (know what PA stands for? The two middle initials are IT!). Bob Blair, Rose Sinclair, and Jana and James Lockaby make the show go and are the public face of the RANP room, thanks very much to these dedicated folks for their enduring efforts.

Last but not least are the sponsors... those that gave money or otherwise volunteered (my grandpa used to say that money is just concentrated effort). In no particular order, I'd like to acknowledge these folks for making this event possible:

Mark Roeder
Mark Moseley
Ben Price
Dwayne Solley
HowardR
Jeff Strouse
Bob Blair
Rose Sinclair
Jana and James Lockaby
Larry and Phyllis Tresnicky
Ivan and Dee Reddington
Michael Greer
Manny's Millinery
DePaule Supply
Ralph Czitrom
Jim Newberry

I'm probably leaving some folks out... my email account lost the saved emails, so I'm at a loss here... just thank you everyone that helped bring this event off so well. Already looking forward to next year... I'll be posting other stuff to this thread as I remember it.

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2018 8:16 am    

Remembering... someone left a dobro capo in the room, if you can describe it I'll send it to you, otherwise it's a nice one, thanks! Someone left a MedAlert bracelet, we called the company but they couldn't release your name or info, and I forgot to leave it at the desk. Bob, your picks and bar are on the way!

Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2018 8:28 pm    

Stephen - Thanks for all you do to make that room happen! As a ‘newbie’, I was blown away by both the talent and love in there. None of it could have happened without you. Here’s to you for all your time and effort in putting it all together.

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2018 10:35 pm    

Chris Bauer wrote:
Stephen - Thanks for all you do to make that room happen! As a ‘newbie’, I was blown away by both the talent and love in there. None of it could have happened without you. Here’s to you for all your time and effort in putting it all together.

Why thank you, Chris! Don't look now, but your set's video just went up... I'll post it on the videos thread in this section. Great set, btw.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2018 2:52 am    

Sounds like a really great show. How was the turnout in the nonpedal room?

I haven’t been in a few years and that needs to change. I’m bummed that I missed Lloyd Green.

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 2:12 pm    

We missed you too, Mike... come play for us again!

I need to acknowledge some sponsors:

Telonics always brings their amps up to us and makes sure they're set up and ready to go... they always check back with us to make sure everything's OK. Dave Beatty and his bunch are the best, I can certify.

Larry and Phyllis Tresnicky and Ivan and Dee Reddington are the 'pizza parents' of the show... all that pizza's not cheap, and keeping up Rick's tradition is what they do by sponsoring the pizza after each day's show. Thanks so much guys, for this and all the other things y'all do.

Still working on getting the videos out there... more soon.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 3:18 pm    

One great thing about the NP room is that you never know what "oddball" event might occur that kicks it up a notch for you. Last year I was knocked out by Zane King's set. This year what I serendipitously walked in on was the performance of my homies from Louisiana: Richard Comeaux, Murnel Babineaux, and Joe Rogers. At most of the steel shows that I've seen them play, they play triple steel arrangements, with Joe occasionally on accordion. At this year's RANP, it was a Cajun trio with Richard on acoustic guitar, Murnel on lap steel Cajun-style, and Joe on accordion. Very ethnic and off the charts with coolness. Thanks, guys. Wink

There's no one more devoted to promoting steel guitar as Steve Cowell. He's among those who wear a white hat in our business. I'd like to thank each of the heroes individually but in the interest of brevity, just look above at the list of those who Steve has thanked.

Looking forward to next year... Smile

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Last edited by Herb Steiner on 20 Mar 2018 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Larry McFall

Huntsville,Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 6:14 pm     A big thanks to Steve Cowell

I want to thank you Steve for the hard work that you put into making the Non-Pedal session at the 2018 Texas Steel Guitar Association Jamboree a hit. It is a demanding job and you are to be congratulated for your super trooper effort. It is people like you that make things happen, keep up the good work!

Billy sure brought back some old times which was indeed great support in keeping the non-Pedal steels alive and well. I had that great opportunity to play and spread the good word at J-Cody’s BBQ on Monday in Brian, Texas before getting back to my home 20 here in Huntsville, Alabama.

Keep A Pickin and makin those heavenly sounds.

Larry Leroy McFall (Riodosa Steel).

Very Happy Very Happy
Played the Steel from 1948. Have had the opportunity to play a multitude of Military venues considering I spent over 32 years with the U.S. Army. Got to play in many foreign countries which was fantastic. Married to the same woman for more than 57 years. Have children, all of them served in the military. 7 Grandchildren.

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 8:53 pm    

Larry, it sure was nice to meet you and talk to you! See you there next year.

Larry McFall

Huntsville,Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2018 6:58 pm     Back at you

Same here Steve, it was darn good to meet you and pleased to find people pushing the non-Pedal guitars. I am indeed looking forward to next year.
Played the Steel from 1948. Have had the opportunity to play a multitude of Military venues considering I spent over 32 years with the U.S. Army. Got to play in many foreign countries which was fantastic. Married to the same woman for more than 57 years. Have children, all of them served in the military. 7 Grandchildren.

Mark Roeder

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2018 12:34 pm    

I had a really great time. It was so much fun running into HowardR. I had not expected to see him this year.

Kudos to Steven for running a smooth show with a great line up. Lots of great players this year. The band was top notch! I loved having the snare in the mix.
Can't wait til next year!!!!!

Jeff Strouse

Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2018 6:26 pm    

Looks like it was a blast! Wish I could have been there! Very Happy

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2018 10:04 pm    

Glad everyone had a great time... mee too! Really good to reconnect with folks I don't get to see all year.

Here's DMinor and Donna Bennett's set... they were great, of course.

https://youtu.be/kuiGOlEr8wc

Oops.. I meant to post this to the Videos thread... so moving this over there.

Last edited by Stephen Cowell on 21 Mar 2018 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2018 10:19 pm     Thanks Stephen

Thanks Stephen,
Was lots of fun in the non pedal room with so much great picking.
Was also good to meet you.
Thanks again for all the hard work putting it together.
Andy Very Happy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2018 10:23 pm    

Thanks Andy... likewise! And congrats on the new Clinesmith... just wow, someday, me, maybe.