The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Small practice amp suggestions?
Andrew Zehner

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2018 9:35 am    

I'm looking at getting a new amp for my quiet practices with my lap or pedal steel. I'd like to get an amp around 20W or so. Does anyone have any suggestions on smaller amps that work well for steel guitar?

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2018 1:03 pm    

I have a Peavey Pacer, all discrete transistors from the era of the Session 400 and LTD. Doesn't have the paramid or presence control but has the basic sound of those iconic steel amps. 12' speaker, and plenty loud if you need it, I've gigged and recorded with mine. You can find them for like $100-150 on craigslist.

Gary Dillard

Tuscaloosa, AL
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2018 1:06 pm    

Do what I did...went to the local pawn shop, bought one for $40, hooked my BOSS delay/reverb to it....perfect!

Butch Mullen

North Carolina, USA 28681
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2018 2:07 pm     amp

I like the Roland Cube amps. Built in effects and very dependable. I have got 2 Cube 60s. Butch in NC

Dean Severson

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2018 7:36 am    

I know this isn't exactly what you're asking for, but I keep a little battery powered Vox headphone amp in my case.
It has no reverb, but you can mix in an iPod to play along with. I mainly use it these days to tune my steel up on a noisy stage. Pop it into the jack with headphones and it can help you hear what your doing.

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2018 8:13 am    

I have both the Roland Mobile Cube (stereo!) and the XL40... both sound great and are super reliable. Both have headphone outputs. The MC can run on batteries... fave amp of Kevin Brown.

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2018 9:08 am    

Dean Severson wrote:
I know this isn't exactly what you're asking for, but I keep a little battery powered Vox headphone amp in my case.
It has no reverb, but you can mix in an iPod to play along with. I mainly use it these days to tune my steel up on a noisy stage. Pop it into the jack with headphones and it can help you hear what your doing.

I have one of those little Vox headphone plugs also. And Dean, it does have reverb, you need to push on the other little button and it gives you different effects. The effects are all kind of annoying, but they are there.

When my wife is away, or upstairs, I practice with a Fishman Mini Loudbox amp, which is very small, has (I think) 40 watts of clean power, and reverb. I actually bought the amp for my acoustic guitars, and dobros, but find that it works great for practice with my steels, both pedal and lap. It also functions as a monitor, with a DI out to the PA (if you ever need that). I notice in their new ads, they have one that has built in power for real portability.

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2018 10:49 am    

Boss Katana 50,,,,everything you need,,,great with pedal steel...line out, headphone,,,around 22 lbs,,,12"speaker etc,,,150-200 bucks used.

Dean Severson

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2018 7:24 am    

Quote:
Brooks Montgomery wrote: I have one of those little Vox headphone plugs also. And Dean, it does have reverb, you need to push on the other little button and it gives you different effects. The effects are all kind of annoying, but they are there.

Thanks, Brooks, .. I'll look for that.

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2018 7:33 pm    

Just so you know 20 Tube watts is EXTREMELY loud.. like easily loud enough to play with a drummer.

So be careful what you buy.. 20 solid state watts is different obviously.

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2018 7:35 pm    

That said 5 tube watts will gen3rally get over a drummer.. but it will be crunchy... for lap steel perfect.. for pedal steel..maybe not what you want...but I generally practice with a 5 watt tube amp on pedal steel and it is GREAT... with a 12 inch speaker.. perfect practice amp... for my tone.. hairy... not too clean and sterile... and very inspiring.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2018 3:30 pm    

At Performance Guitars, my late buddy Jerry Brightman and I tested every guitar through my modded Princeton Reverb. Deluxe style power supply brought it just short of 20 watts, and the 12" Celestion gave better lows. He used it for some "Patsy" shows and some other gigs. Great-sounding little amp that can sit on the floor of the passenger side of your wheels.
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2018 3:54 pm    

I've been using a Peavey Studio Pro 50, from the mid-'80's and it's great for practice and small gigs. I had a Telonics neo 12 so I stuck it in there...300w speaker in a 50w amp, haha. It's a great amp! I bought it for $55 on ebay.
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Joe Kaufman

Lewiston, Idaho
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 7:33 pm    

If used is ok, the Peavey Backstage Plus is a great small inexpensive practice amp.
https://assets.peavey.com/literature/manuals/80300053.pdf

Derrick Unger

Newark Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2018 7:14 pm     Fender

I'm using a Fender sidekick 35 reverb..found it on Craigslist and thought it would make a great little light weight amp and it does..it has great reverb..a upgraded warehouse 12" speaker and also has a presence control which adds a nice touch..and comes in at about 22lbs I'd guess..I really wanted to try this little amp since the Peavey Bandit series make such a hit with steel players and still have a 12" speaker..plenty of power for small gig and has a gain control of for a little crunch if that's your thing..Picked up for $75...Want to add fender makes these sidekicks in 30, 25,20 watt models as well as the 35 all with reverb tanks that sound superb and in at around 20#..I have a Nashville 400 and a vegas 400 also, so believe me I have something to compare these little fenders too and they are unbeatable for their price IMHO
Music is good for the soul..playing it is even better! Gretsch6strLapSteel*PeaveyNashville400*HudsonSD-10*DigitechRP360*FenderChampion100*PeaveyKB300*Goodrich120*Behringerx1204*BehringerMini4*Mullen S10"Discovery"*Peavey Vegas400*Princeton112plus*SuperChampX2*SidekickReverb65*Rumble100*MarshallMG50DFX*Nashville112

Last edited by Derrick Unger on 20 Aug 2018 9:36 am; edited 3 times in total

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2018 4:48 am    

My practice amp is a ZT Club. 200 watts, 22 pounds. I use the Quilter for performing.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2018 6:30 am    

Andrew,
What price range are you willig to pay?

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2018 10:18 am    

Andrew, here is a used Boss Katana for $280.00. Not mine.

https://worcester.craigslist.org/msg/d/boss-katana-100/6462045376.html

Here is a sample of mine at home practising.

http://picosong.com/wYH9w/

Willie Sims

PADUCAH, KY, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2018 9:41 am    

A OLD CASSET TAPE RECORDER WITH A MIC IN AND HEAD PHONE OUT. SET ON RECORD SOUND'S GOOD;NO BODY CAN HEAR YOUR MISTAKES. CHEAPER THAN DIRT.

Mike Beley

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2018 2:51 pm    

I practice with a Fender Rumble 15.
very small, and has a headphone out.
It's a bass amp so it's nice and warm.

I paid 75.00 used!

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2018 5:45 am    

Quilter has a cool tiny 45w stomp box sized amp known of as a Micro 45 that has both a headphone and speaker out as well as a guitar and aux in w a tone and volume control. It can fit in your shirt pocket.

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2018 6:01 am    

I think it would be hard to beat the value, features, sounds, capabilities, portability etc of the small (50 watt) Katana,,,used less than $200.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2018 11:40 am    

I previously mentioned that I use a ZT club.
the company has a new version called the Jazz Club. It has a slightly larger cabinet and a mid range control.

Unlike the original Club, which was designed for rock players, the new amp is for jazz guitarists. It is based on the old Polytone Mini-brute. I have not had a chance to try one out yet, but I think it's going to be a very good steel amp.