The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Chapman Stick 10 String Grand - Rosewood SOLD
Adam Tracksler

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2018 6:24 am    

Maybe you were sitting in your living room thinking "Hey, the pedal steel is way too easy to play, I would really like a challenge"

Well, your prayers are answered

I emailed Emmet about it and he said:

"Ten-String Grand" Stick #6027 was made in July 2010. Tuning was Classic in medium gauges with PASV-4 pickups.

Somewhere along the way tuning was changed to Matched Reciprocal. The PASV-4 was also changed to the ACTV-2.

I purchased this in the fall of last year, and it has been at home it's whole time with me. It plays and sounds great. Sometime in its life, before I received it, there was a small crack on the tail that has been repaired and is completely stable. It looks a little rough, but it is on the bottom and in the back.

It has a Lap Dawg, which is pretty awesome for seated playing.

Comes with a hard case and the adjustment wrench.

I also had a splitter box made for it so that I could run a single stereo cable to it and it would send the tip to one output and the ring to the other. Stereo Cable included (10' - I think)

Including the following instructional material:
Steve Adelson's Stickology
Free Hands Book
Stick Book Vol. 1
Basic Free Hands DVD
Bob Culbertson DVD

$1850 + Shipping. (I'm in Southern Maine)

Message me for more pics...

Last edited by Adam Tracksler on 17 Mar 2018 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

David Graves

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2018 4:33 pm     The Stick

Hey Adam... I’m sending you a PM. Thanks.

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2018 6:09 am    

Wow! In my entire life, I've seen one Stick player at a local pub. Super cool instrument, baffling. Part guitar, part bass, part...piano?

Other than that one guy I saw years ago...Blue Man Group! Stick & steel guitar together!

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2018 7:09 am    

Amazing what these instruments can do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYKB6Lag-wg

Rick Schacter

Portland, Or.
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2018 1:38 pm    

Bill McCloskey wrote:
Amazing what these instruments can do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYKB6Lag-wg

Nice! 👍👍

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2018 4:28 pm    

I also play Stick and I invented and manufacture the Lap Dawg Stick accessory which consists of an aluminum bracket that bolts onto the back of the instrument using existing holes and has folding padded arms that rest across your thighs. This allows you to play the instrument seated in a sort of cello position like Stick virtuoso Bob Culbertson does.
Here's the Stick maestros https://youtu.be/RCXjEIQANes
and https://youtu.be/Dt9s0wHBSxY and there are others...

After 45 years of playing steel, mandolin and guitar, I got into Stick a few years ago after a near-death experience as a kind of "bucket list" thing. I just had to give it a shot and now it's taken over my mind.
Like any instrument, it takes about 5 years just to figure out where good tone comes from and learn to fret with both hands. Half the neck is ascending 4ths and the other half is reverse ascending 5ths like an inside-out 5 string bass. Sounds weird but it's all designed around the layout of 2 opposing human hands. As soon as you suss that out and learn some standard changes, you realize the genius behind the design. Some guys try to portray or play it like a guitar+bass and it can do that but that's selling it short. It's actually a lot more like a piano in actual execution and a good reader can read grand staff piano music right off onto the Stick with little or no compromise. But it's really something all unto itself. Tremendously fascinating and challenging instrument. Right up there with pedal steel.

This rosewood one Adam has posted for sale is one of the latest long scale models with the big frets, easy to see linear inlay markers and an active EMG pickup at a great price. Someone should snatch it up and jump into the deep end of the pool.
Sounds good thru a steel amp BTW. Same range as a C6 neck.

Mine is a 12 string Grand made of laminated bamboo.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2018 4:48 pm    

Wow, Michael... great info.

next lifetime for me, but if I was still in my early 50's, I'd pick this up in a heartbeat. Amazing instrument. I was wondering about the padded arms in the link I shared. Cool that you invented that.

I got enough on my plate figuring out the 10 string Alkire tuning for lap steel.