The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Effect suggestions for vintage Bigsby tone
Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 1 Mar 2018 5:06 am    

I am fascinated lately with Bigsby tone. Mainly the sound Tom Morrell always got from his excellent work always on his Bigsby guitar.

I've thought about putting a vintage pickup in a modern pedal guitar, but I am starting to think I might could arrange some effects with just as good a result.

I've never used anything but Delay and reverb.

Up for some suggestions if anyone has done this.

Thanks

~Bill~

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2018 5:36 am    

I've had similar thoughts, but more along the lines of the even more vintage tones of early lap-steel recordings - think Joaquim, for example. I suspect it is more the amp and speaker than just the guitar, and also the mic used to record with, etc. But I've wondered if someone could figure out a pedal that gave that classic tone.

The sound I am talking about can be heard in the Mike Neer video of Joaquin solos found here. In particular, you hear it in the second solo "Crazy 'Cause I Love You" and "What's The Matter With You". To some extend, it is there in every song, often on the higher notes, but less prevalent on the lower notes. It almost seems exagerated in "Kid With A Rip In His Pants" - and the other instruments have a similar tone, which leads me to conclude some of it is the recording technology of the era. And, of course, some of it is his technique.

I would not want to always sound like that, but would certainly like to be able to emulate that tone on a few songs!

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2018 6:40 am    

My guess is that you'll be more likely to achieve a similar tone by eliminating effects altogether, not by piling them on.

Also, ditch any modern amp (especially those of the solid-state variety) and go with a relatively low-wattage vintage tube amp (or a modern facsimile built to vintage specs), push those power tubes hard, and hook it up to a 15" speaker built to vintage specs in an open-back cab.

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2018 11:56 am    

Spring or plate reverberation was the only effect available during the heyday of the Bigsby guitars.

rodger_mcbride

Minnesota
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2018 9:12 am    

Check out the Jr Barnyard pedal from thenocturnebrain.com. Depending on your chain, might give you some of that fat octal growl.
rodger

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2018 10:05 am    

Mike Neer posted this video to Youtube. Really wonderful playing by Tom and the whole band. Is this the sound you're looking for? I can't quite make out the amp at Tom's elbow - maybe Mike will chime in - but I'm guessing it's more of a modern vintage. Removing the hands factor, I'd say the sound is more of a product of the pickups and amp. Don't know of a pedal that will give you that tone in and of itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiZsbYyWAGo

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2018 4:44 am    

Re the Joaquin solos:

The sound of the Bigsby pickups is strong, especially across the mid frequencies--like a Rickenbacher on steroids. But the sound really has a lot to with the amp he was using. To me it sounds like an Electar Zephyr amp on quite a few cuts, meaning a 40s amp with a Rola field coil speaker. This is tone you'll get with an amp like that.

I used to play a Rickenbacher Frypan through a Zephyr and it was heavenly, especially in a 'live' room.

I'd love to know what he was playing through at 5:47 with Tex Williams, it sounds more high fidelity and crystal clear. Probably Capitol Studios. This would pre-date Fender and Standel.