| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Looking For an S-10 Non-Pedal Steel
Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2018 4:37 pm    

I'm soon to be in the market for an S-10 lap or console steel. I am not interested in a Melobar. My hope is to find one for less than a grand, string spacing on the wide-side, but that's not a huge issue. I like the tone of Fender trap pickups, old Sho~Bud pickups and Ric pickups, though I don't have any particular guitar in mind. It needs to be in nice shape, or need only a little to be revived. Well made home made is ok if it has the sound and doesn't look kooky.

What's available?

If I respond slowly it's because I'm in a mad rush to prune the last 150 trees in the orchard and I have 9 days to do it at 45 minutes per tree.
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Gibson Console Grande, Lazy River Wiessenborn
Session 400, Bassman Amp W/Altec 418,
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2018 1:05 pm    

Look for a 1st generation Sho~Bud Maverick (with raised neck and Gumby peghead), then remove the undercarriage parts and the pedals from the pedal rack. I've had 3 such Mavericks, sold two and currently have one that I use for just such a purpose.

That guitar is regularly scorned by the Forum as a pedal steel, and ignored as a nonpedal console. You can probably find one on eBay for less than $700. That's where I've found mine. You'd be hard pressed to have a luthier make you one of that caliber for less than that.

Or you could make an offer on this guitar:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sho-Bud-10-string-steel-guitar-Non-pedal/371874450367?hash=item569571cbbf:g:vS0AAOSw3v5Yrf2W

Here's two Youtube links of me playing my Mavericks at the 2016 and 2017 TSGA Rick Alexander sessions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27PdTbHgPKg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip_qVCnKTGg
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2018 4:23 pm    

Thanks for the idea, Herb! I use my 66 Crossover as a D-10 non-pedal and am in love with it. It's funny that it had not occurred to me to get a Maverick. This particular request for a non-pedal is truly for a lap steel. I want to be able to take my fav E13 to jams, and they usually have a bunch of people. Smaller is better.

I will definitely have one of those Mavericks.

Also: You are a flipping great player! What a joy to listen to you, and see what a gentleman you are. Thanks.
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Gibson Console Grande, Lazy River Wiessenborn
Session 400, Bassman Amp W/Altec 418,
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35
Jerry Knapper

Polk City, Florida , USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2018 5:24 pm     10 string

I have two 10 string laps to sell. One is a Cougar 10 string and case. The other is a Jerico 10. Email me if interested and I'll send pictures. Both have hard shell cases and both could be adapted to legs. Either is within your price range.
jerico47@gmail.com
Allan Haley

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2018 5:50 pm    

I have a shop-made aluminum 10-string. I have it set up as an 8-string right now.
Plays great. Sounds really good.
ShoBud tuners, aluminum body, Mullen fretboard.
Completely unique.
$400 plus shipping from Vancouver, CA
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 13 Mar 2018 6:11 pm    

I have two eharps, both of which I bought for under $500. There were four main models: I have the 2nd and 3rd iteration. 10 strings. beautiful sounding instruments. They pop up now and then. I bought my two within a week of each other on reverb.

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2018 6:55 am    

I've got a Boen 10 string on consignment- 3 legs, gig bag- $475