The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What type of amp mics are you using?
Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2018 11:08 am    

I usually use two mics, whether it be one amp or two. Most often it's been a Royer 122 and a 57 on a tube Standel. Last night I tried a fet 47 in place of the Royer on the Standel and 57 on a Princeton reverb and that combination sounded great as well.

Anyone doing anything particularly unorthodox? Have a lot of time and gear for experimentation these days.

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2018 7:47 pm    

Neumann U47 and a Sennheiser 421 combination when I'm feeling frisky. A ribbon and a 421 when less. Single 421 always works. My '74 PP (mica w/ wood necks) though a Brad Sarno V8 direct just kills it for me lately...

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2018 10:13 pm    

I used to mainly use a Neumann fet 47 or a Lawson fet 47. Over the last few years I’ve been into a Royer 121. I have experimented with Neumann 84s and always had luck with AKG 414’s.

A fun experiment would be to put the amps about 5 feet apart and then use your 122 and a Neumann 84 in a mid side set up 5 feet away in the middle. That would give you some awesome placement options while mixing.

I personally rarely use 2 mics. Seems like too much trouble. I am with John on the V8. It is pretty amazing. I went with his suggestion and ran it though a Neve pre and now it is extra amazing.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2018 8:50 am    

I seldom get a mic out anymore. Tommy Detamore turned me on to an inexpensive amp sim (Bias Amp) that I like a lot. Additionally, there's an online 'cloud' of Bias Amp sim profiles (user created amp models) where Tommy has shared a couple of his favorite setups that worked well for me.

I find an amp sim just as workable for most everything I do, but based on what I've seen/heard used on my amps in other studios, I think a nice ribbon may be on the want-list, probably a Royer 121..

John, didn't you recommend a Shiny Box ribbon of some sort a while back?

https://www.positivegrid.com/bias-amp/

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2018 2:35 pm    

If Tommy recommends it, it's got to be good.

RC

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2018 11:23 pm    

Bill - are you using the standard version of Bias Amp?

RC

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2018 5:49 am    

Hi Rick, Yep. I'm actually using the predecessor to the one I linked. It's now Bias Amp 2 Standard I guess? Bias Amp Standard was 59.00 when I bought it on sale last year, but this one seems to be 99.00. Well worth it and I think the demo I tried wasn't crippled (at least it wasn't then), just time locked.

Tommy's amps are available via the Bias Tonecloud I think they call it. You access it from within the plug if I remember right.

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2018 2:42 pm    

I will definitely try the mid-side thing. It's a term I've heard for a while but I guess I never knew what it meant.

Also will have a V8 to compare with pretty soon. It seems like it'll be my best defense against backline amps, and it's great to hear that it sounds so good direct.

I have a lot of at home guitar parts to do so it'll be fun to try out some different things.