The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tinnitus news
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2018 6:45 pm    

Anyone know anything about Starkey Labs tinnitus devices?
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2018 3:06 am    

I see ads for Starkey hearing aids. Some hearing aids (many brands) claim to help with tinnitus.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2018 5:13 am    

tinnitus devices, also know as tinnitus instruments are hearing aids with white noise.. Save your money, get a $10 mp3 player and some ear buds, and download white noise noise, waterfalls, ocean, wind, noises and tons of the music you like best. thats what i did until I became habituated. much better than a $7000 set of "tinnitus instruments".. bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 1 Mar 2018 5:36 am    

Bob, you are 100% correct. Thats what I had to do. And I still do it. White noise is the key.

FWIW, I've used Gregorian Chanting which helps more than anything. The way I'm "wired" if I listen to music, I tend to get into the music and then I don't sleep. Chanting is in latin, so I don't understand it. But its soothing. Chamber music works well. Also, classical piano and classical organ helps me a great deal.

~Bill~

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2018 8:37 am    

I purchased my hearing aids (Audibel A3i) because of high-frequency hearing loss.

I have found that the more hours I wear them each day, the less noticeable my tinnitus is. I have a constant hissing/ringing in my head. With my hearing aids on, I am now hearing all the high frequencies I normally don't hear, which tends to mask the hissing/ringing in my head.

Late in the evening, when I remove the hearing aids, the hissing/ringing is still barely noticeable.

If I don't wear the hearing aids for a day or so, the hissing/ringing is back.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2018 5:33 am    

Lee Baucum wrote:
I purchased my hearing aids (Audibel A3i) because of high-frequency hearing loss.

I have found that the more hours I wear them each day, the less noticeable my tinnitus is. I have a constant hissing/ringing in my head. With my hearing aids on, I am now hearing all the high frequencies I normally don't hear, which tends to mask the hissing/ringing in my head.

Late in the evening, when I remove the hearing aids, the hissing/ringing is still barely noticeable.

If I don't wear the hearing aids for a day or so, the hissing/ringing is back.

Lee, you are one of the "lucky" ones when it comes to hearing aids providing substantial relief of tinnitus.. i read a report once, that stated about a quarter of tinnitus patients got really substantial relief from hearing aids... Some got minor relief, maybe 40% or something, and for some[ like me', they were of no help..
In my case, if I walk outside without my hearing aids, i can hear birds and crickets in the summer.. When i put the hearing aids on, I realize there are more birds and crickets out than I first thought...
Thats been about the extent of it for me... Staying as busy as possible and focusing elsewhere has been of more benefit to me than hearing aids by far.. Mine is really severe however. I don't hear a hissing thats annoying when its quiet. Mine is so loud, I hear it above everything else in my world, and nothing can get above it, and its in quad stereo, both ears, and in the center of my head, swirling.. awful.
That being said, its been 6 1/2 years I have had it, and i simply had to learn to live with it.... I have.. I WISH I was one of the fortunate ones that hearing aids helped.. bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 6:28 am     hearing aide

Hey Lee, without your hearing aide, do you have trouble with telephone and multiple people in a room when everyone is talking? And did the hearing aides solve it? Or at least make it better? My tinnitus has made talking on phone next to impossible. I mean I can hear but its muddled. For instance, last night I was talking to my wife and she said, what I thought was "Amy is at the door I will call you back" so Amy is our neighbor. When she called back I say, "What did Amy want?" She said, It wasn't Amy, it was Mimi, referring to my mother in law. Thats just a little thing but it happens almost daily.

Bob..is yours getting progressively worse or sustaining where it is?

~Bill

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 8:49 am    

This is a temporary "fix" but it works wonders for me whenever mine gets unbearable, and it's free! http://health.learninginfo.org/tinnitus.htm

Download and watch the video to see how it's done.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2018 1:49 pm    

You can also try not dwelling on that you hear these frequencies.

Look at it as your body hums because you're alive.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2018 12:59 pm    

Godfrey Arthur wrote:
You can also try not dwelling on that you hear these frequencies.

Look at it as your body hums because you're alive.]

Alrighty zen...

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2018 1:50 pm    

Fred Treece wrote:

Alrighty zen...

Hehehe. Good one Fred!

I find that when the power grid goes down, the buzzing stops.

Many people are hearing these things who are not musicians or dealing with loud noises.

We live in a world constantly bombarded by microwaves, cell towers, wifi etc.

Our homes are wired with AC that can carry signals themselves just off a two wire AC line.

Even space generated signals can affect our bodies as there are warnings during CME's (cornonal mass ejections from the sun=solar flares)
to be on the alert for these, that are responsible for changes in the brain, blood pressure, heart rhythms.

I know when I dwell on the sounds, the louder they get.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2018 5:33 pm    

Love that scene Cool

I agree with you about the cumulative affect of all the signals, natural and man-made, that pass through a human body. It is not unthinkable that one result could be hearing related, such as tinnitus, especially for hearing-sensitive people. There are proven factors though, and they are obvious for rock musicians, construction and railroad workers, combat veterans, etc.

My tinnitus is chronic, I’ve had it since I was a kid, so I’ve always been “humming”. I’m going to try the trick in Jim Smith’s link, next time I get an acute case from stupidly not wearing my earplugs.