The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Songster Series - live video interview and performance
Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2018 11:40 am    

For those of you crazy enough to be interested, last September I was invited by the Brooks Long and the Creative Alliance of Baltimore to take part in their “Songster” series - to sit down, play my steel guitar, talk about a variety of musical subjects, and take questions from the audience. There are four videos documenting this early evening get-together, so it might be a bit to wade through, but I imagine most steel guitarists will find at least something to pique their curiosity if not their interest.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUqZaVUdfVjueET03_z8IccNWcM351T-T

Here’s what’s in the videos:

Part 1

It begins with me playing one of my pieces for steel guitar, “Twin Beams" and talking about how I composed it (early one morning at an empty opera house in Leipzig, Germany); then I go through an overview, perhaps not completely accurate, of the history of the steel guitar, particularly the pedals. I end this segment by shamelessly aping two of my favorite musicians, Jimmy Day and Dickey Overby.

Part 2

This one begins with me, again channeling another steel player, the great Buddy Emmons (and also, I think, at the very end, Hal Rugg). After playing his version of an old traditional tune, I say some things about steel guitar pre-Buddy Emmons that I now regret (things can go south pretty fast when somebody opens their mouth, not finding the right words, but keeps talking anyway). After that, I play short examples of a couple of jazz standards then play short examples of a couple of western swing steel guitar instrumentals. It ends with me explaining and then playing another of my compositions and, finally, going into a little bit of Richard Wagner. (Yes, I’m all over the place which is what my music teacher scolded me about as a child)

Part 3

The third video has more talking than playing. I attempt to explain my musical philosophy, my feelings about synthesizers and effects pedals, then the subject turns to composers John Cage and Pauline Oliveros, a mentor. I end the evening playing a piece from Olivier Messiaen’s “Quartet for the End of Time”.

Part 4

This one is a short video which contains something I wrote titled “And I Await the Resurrection of the Pedal Steel Guitar". After that is my somewhat literal approach to rock music.

So . . . it’s a lot to wade through in one sitting unless you’re like me and have nothing else to do (except procrastinate on your practicing). Like all music of this kind, I think it is a better experience if you listen through headphones or decent stereo speakers. Thank you to those who watch the whole thing and to those who only watch a little bit. I hope you enjoyed the music.

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2018 7:47 pm    

Putting on my wading boots, Susan. Thanks for posting this.

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 5:36 am    

Good to see someone sit down and play and explain to the audience how it works. That must have been a great event for you.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 8:42 am    

Very nice version of "We Could" in the part one video.

Jonathan Shacklock

London, UK
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2018 8:30 am    

Thanks Susan, that was thoroughly enjoyable and enlightening Smile