The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Support of Young Steel Players
Larry McFall

Huntsville,Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 11:57 am    

In my 69 years of playing the steel guitar I have never seen so much young disinterest in our instrument of choice i.e., the Electric Steel Guitar. In my neck of the neighborhood a few of the music lesson promoters don't want to talk "Steel Guitar". When I give lessons, specially with a youngin I try to get their friends involved so that they support their friend and just maybe, they would like to learn to play. In 1948 when I started playing I was using sheet music published by "OAHU PUBLISHING COMPANY" out of Cleveland, Ohio. All by the numbers which I steel do. I arrange it myself now. Time does indeed pass mighty fast and we need to get youngins interested.

Played the Steel from 1948. Have had the opportunity to play a multitude of Military venues considering I spent over 32 years with the U.S. Army. Got to play in many foreign countries which was fantastic. Married to the same woman for more than 57 years. Have children, all of them served in the military. 7 Grandchildren.

Dave Stroud

Texas
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 4:14 pm    

Larry,

I might be considered a 'youngin' and I love steel guitar. I've thought about this alot, and it is a complex issue. But it isn't just steel guitar being pushed away- it's music in general.

My peers seem hardwired to be more interested in fame and looks than meaningful music. It's a general decline of morals, and an increase in more progressive ideas of what life should be like. There's too much focus on sex, money, and fame in our popular culture. But it's important to know there are a few of us 'youngins' who know there's a better way. Of course my life isn't perfect, but I've made generally good decisions and I've reaped the blessings of every good choice I've made.

I believe that meaningful music starts with meaningful people living meaningful lives. Those people are out there, but they aren't the people being made popular today. Unfortunately, it's the people without moral values who are marketable to my generation.

I'm one of the few 'youngins' who really don't care about what's popular. That's a prerequisite for the other kids in my generation to gain a love for this instrument. To me, good music is independent of the year or decade- what's good is good ALWAYS; it's timeless. But most people my age don't believe in that. I'll always be an advocate for the steel guitar, even when you older men pass on and it's just the few of us younger guys left. I hope there will be a revival of steel guitar in the future, but it is difficult to see that happening. It's difficult to see how we will get out of the age of celebrities and aggressive genres (and how steel guitar could apply to such genres). But that's ok... The door to my home studio will always be open to those who want to come and join in on the fun. (Note: I'm not saying that the steel guitar won't or can't apply to future genres, but unless there are some seriously good progressive players to show how the steel guitar can apply and sound good to those genres, the steel guitar's legacy will likely fade away when the players who currently sustain it pass on).

Last edited by Dave Stroud on 25 Feb 2018 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Larry McFall

Huntsville,Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 4:55 pm     Support Young Steel Players

It is always good to hear from people like Dave. I believe he has hit it right on the nose and the world is much different than it was when I was a youngster. He knows much more about how youngsters think today however, I know we must support young people who want to learn to play. An example is that most schools will promote string instruments accept, the Steel Guitar. Being a military veteran who played my steel in many countries that I served in, never was invited to play with the official US Army Band which small groups to play special occasions. I have noticed that US Navy and US Air Force have opened up slots for steel players. It’s a start and a good start for young steel players.

Dave keep the interest and things are indeed changing in the employment of steel players and hopefully the interest in Steel Guitar Music will broaden, specially in the young such as opportunities in schools which will bring it into communities not familiar with it.

The steel can be used in many genres of music. When I started in 1948 my father had been in the Navy during WWII and loved Hawaiian Music. Guess what I played for years.
Played the Steel from 1948. Have had the opportunity to play a multitude of Military venues considering I spent over 32 years with the U.S. Army. Got to play in many foreign countries which was fantastic. Married to the same woman for more than 57 years. Have children, all of them served in the military. 7 Grandchildren.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 10:51 pm    

To Larry and everyone:

I'm a longtime player and teacher now pretty involved with a non-profit foundation called Steel Resolve. Its mission is to "provide startup assistance to young players" who couldn't otherwise afford to get started playing steel, whether pedal, non-pedal, or lap. We plan to offer loaner steels, subsidized lessons, maybe partnerships with steel builders and amp companies.

We're actually having difficulty finding young people interested in taking up steel. The instrument has almost no presence in today's culture and music scene. So we're going to create a high energy video montage of all styles, ages, and genres to blast onto YouTube and social media, try to create awareness, hoping that sparks interest.

We'll have a booth at the upcoming Dallas show, so swing by to chat, maybe consider making a donation of funds or gear, or offer us your ideas on how to spread the word to young people. If you know a young person dying to play steel but finding it financially prohibitive, please let us know a way to make contact.

Online we're here: steelresolve.org.
Facebook: search for Steel Resolve, you'll find us.

Both sites need some work, that's next.

Dave Stroud

Texas
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2018 1:08 am    

John,

I love what you're doing, and I've thought about doing something very similar when I get older. My wife and I will be at the Dallas show, so we'll stop by and see you.

Larry McFall

Huntsville,Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2018 6:35 pm     A Noble Task!

It sounds as you are indeed on a path of doing something to aid in this notion of youngsters loss of enthusiasm in the Steel Guitar. I will stop by your both and would love to sit down and talk about this issue. Keep up the good work and I will see you in Dallas.

Paul Stauskas

DFW, TX
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2018 9:42 pm    

It amazes me to read these responses. I'm 26, and am constantly inspired by the fabulous younger players out there playing and posting content.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2018 4:56 am    

I marvel at Dave's insight, as it's so rare these days to see anyone thinking of anything other than popularity or money. Smile

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 1 Mar 2018 5:47 am    

John, what an awesome idea. I wish you well. I'm fussing fairly regular with my own children and grand children trying to keep their interest. My youngest daughter has decent natural talent. She does not realize her gift. She's 12 and has ear training equivalent to a sophomore or junior music major, but she doesn't realize.
She plays violin and piano, but is disinterested. I've been searching for some magic potion that will cause her to "engage". If she ever realized the joy it brings, I think she has the potential to take it to a fairly high level. Her friends..Music is something that comes from iTunes...??

This is a great field of endeavor.

Thanks to all for sharing.

~Bill~

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2018 5:52 am    

John, I have been mentoring to a few young people for year. A couple have gone on to become very proficient players.
Austin Tripp now works with Cody Jinks.
Jonathan Cullifer in in Nashville and playing all he wants to (but is smart enough to have a great day job).
Brett Day has become a steel guitar scholar.

Right now, I don't have any young ones around me, but always welcome the chance.

I commend you for what you are doing and if there is anything I can help with, please let me know. See you in Dallas.

bill
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Jason King

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2018 6:44 am    

John, looking forward to seeing you again at Dallas. Thanks for all you do, and are trying to do for steel guitar.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 1 Mar 2018 8:32 am    

John, best of luck to you with Steel Resolve. Cool

Art Beard

Once upon a time out west (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2018 7:07 pm    

Crying or Very sad Todays music industry run by Lawyers & bean counters aiming at the girls 7 to 15 who buy the music. There is no caring for the music. The Hanks, Leftys, George Jones could not get a recording contract as most the greats of our time.
The young steel players must carry the burden of enlarging the steel audience and making the instrument popular again. In Jazz, country, OPERA, and the many forms of music. Dave you have great insight and keep on picking. Bill Buntin, Find the instrument she is interested in if you can. So many good statements. Lets all pray for a good out come for the Music and our Country.
CAA
GAS -1969 ZB D11/10,1974 Sho-Bud D10 Professional,1975 Speedy West S10, 150 yr okd Barn Board tele, Beard signature Gold Tone Dean Acoustic/Electric Bass, Tennessee 12 string Bass, 3 String Shovel.2 Fiddles., Sho-Bud amp, Epiphone valve special amp, Fishman loudbox artist amp.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2018 8:27 pm    

Quote:
Todays music industry run by Lawyers & bean counters aiming at the girls 7 to 15 who buy the music. There is no caring for the music. The Hanks, Leftys, George Jones could not get a recording contract as most the greats of our time.
The young steel players must carry the burden of enlarging the steel audience and making the instrument popular again. In Jazz, country, OPERA, and the many forms of music.

Jazz, country and "opera"?

How many 7-15 year old girls - or much of ANYBODY in the preteen/teen age groups - listen to OPERA? Or Jazz?

That's just a great example of how incredibly out of touch most of the steel guitar world is with youth culture.

And instead of blaming declines in musical tastes try to focus on the fact that what is "good music " to 99% of youths is nothing most of you have every heard. Or heard of.

This same discussion goes in circles every year.

You will NOT recruit young players to an unfamiliar instrument by demonstrating it using music they don't like.

It's more of a stumbling block than trying to recruit rock or blues players. Even if they recognize the capabilities of the instrument 99% of the instructional materials are still pigeonholed - "country".

If you want the instrument to be played by a wide range of musicians in popular styles (or multiple styles outside the norm) the industry needs to break out of the "country" mold and develop FAR more generic instructional materials.

The instrument also needs to be taken TO potential players that are FAR outside country music circles - and by players that are familiar with a wide range of musical styles AND are capable of adapting pedal steel to those styles.

IMO there are far too many existing players that don't feel those things are appropriate, nor would they want to be involved with any of those musical styles themselves.

So things will stay pretty much the same.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Art Beard

Post  Posted 1 Mar 2018 11:20 pm     Support young players

I do not kniow young people, we have little in common.
I was trying to state the different music that can be played with the steel guitar.
At the SWSGA SHOW jazz, and other than country music was played.
Opera singer sang w/steel, guess i don't express myself well great show
GAS -1969 ZB D11/10,1974 Sho-Bud D10 Professional,1975 Speedy West S10, 150 yr okd Barn Board tele, Beard signature Gold Tone Dean Acoustic/Electric Bass, Tennessee 12 string Bass, 3 String Shovel.2 Fiddles., Sho-Bud amp, Epiphone valve special amp, Fishman loudbox artist amp.

Larry McFall

Huntsville,Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2018 6:10 am     Youngins to mentor on the Steel.

Bill, it is always encouraging to hear that a fellow steel player has some young players that are indeed interested in the steel guitar. I will keep a working at it around my neck of the neighborhood until my fingers don’t move anymore.

Keep up the great work Bill. I love your music and I go back and view your tribute on YouTube to Papa John ever so often.

Art Beard

Post  Posted 2 Mar 2018 8:26 am     Young players

I was so sad to sell my RAY WALKER
SD10 CUSTOM . BUT like Ra, when I bought it from him, I need cash. It was my first steel at 60. I was,so happy when I sold to another first time steel owner and player. I knew Ray would approve, lol. He is 38, but that is young to me. We talk weekly on progress, and he's working hard on it.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 2 Mar 2018 8:46 am    

Quote:
IMO there are far too many existing players that don't feel those things are appropriate, nor would they want to be involved with any of those musical styles themselves.

The notable exception being Robert Randolph..? Confused

Patrick Thornhill

Austin Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2018 1:03 pm    

I'm not really a young 'un nor do I yet qualify as an old-timer (Generation X...we'll forever be the middle children of history).

I think some of this is a nostalgia for an idealized past that never really existed. My dad told me that growing up in the 50s he wasn't allowed to listen to rock and roll because it was "n-word music" (this is Jim Crow Alabama we're talking about after all) nor was he allowed to listen to Hank Williams because it was "hillbilly music". The people telling him that were of course the generation that had grown up listening to Tommy Dorsey and Glen Miller while they fought WWII.

My point is, things change. Times change, tastes change, people change, and the things that are culturally, socially, and artistically relevant change.
Bands that make music with guitars are still thriving in country and "Country" music ("Country" meaning the commodity produced by the Nashville Pop-Industrial complex where they'll even throw a little steel in now and then to remind you that it's "Country" and not reheated Bon Jovi b-sides from 1986) but everywhere else in popular music guitars in general are declining or absent. Things change.

The popularity of harpsichords is probably significantly less now than it was in the 18th Century...that in no way reflects a "decline in morals" or any coded right-wing nonsense like that.
It's just the nature of time and the way that Art of all stripe reflect the zeitgeist back at us.

Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2018 1:45 pm    

This was just posted over in the "Pedal Steel" category and is very on-point:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=2716197#2716197

Sam Norris

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2018 2:42 pm    

Last edited by Sam Norris on 12 Apr 2022 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total

Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2018 3:27 pm    

Sam nails it on all points.

I'll just add that I too am surprised at just how many younger music listeners have heard tons of steel embedded in songs, but don't know what they're hearing. However, for people that are more musically-aware, my personal experience is that they're usually excited to see a pedal steel in person. I'm mostly a bedroom player, but when I take it out, they usually make me feel like the star of the show.

Sam mentioned the decline of the electric guitar - I'll go further and speculate whether musical instruments in general are declining among younger people. A change has happened in the past decade or more where people who just want to make music for music's sake don't have to learn an instrument. Digital tools are easy enough to use where someone can put together a polished-sounding recording without ever fretting a string or learning the different types of scales. I personally know several people like this.