The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Piano bench?
Jeffrey McFadden

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 7:14 am    

Does anybody use a bench similar to this? I know about the conventional steel seat, but I'm not sure I want to schlep one. Going to practices, jams, and gigs is already enough of a project.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 7:22 am    

I leave one of those at the place where we rehearse. It's very comfortable. I do have a pac-a-seat for gigs, though.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 7:23 am    

Those cross braced piano benches are very commonly used for steel guitar seats. One of them came with my brand new Carter D10, along with a Goodrich L120. Steel seats are very useful for many reasons, but piano benches are good to have.

Randy Schneider

SW New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 7:23 am    

You bet, Jeffrey. Got this one at a bargain price on the local Craigslist, and with my wife's help, added a nice latex cushion on top. I don't cart it around, but it is very light:

Baron Collins-Hill

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 7:34 am    

I'm just a beginner, but I have one of those (this one to be specific http://a.co/8oWOIEk). It works great, and I have a medium sized camera bag I found at good will for schlepping my stuff around.

Thanks,
Baron

Free Online Mandolin & Fiddle Tune Lessons
http://www.mandolessons.com

Don Kuhn

Poetry/Terrell ,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 7:43 am    

When I bought my Carter it came with the package IMO it could have more cushion as my boney butt sure gets sore after about 2 hrs sitting on it.

Richard Stoops

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 8:19 am     piano bench?

I have one at home. I have only used it when I practice (still learning steel). It is light and compact and would be fine to take out. Just wish it had a back to it, after an hour or so my back gets tired.

Dick

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 9:17 am     Re: Piano bench?

Jeffrey McFadden wrote:
Does anybody use a bench similar to this? I know about the conventional steel seat, but I'm not sure I want to schlep one. Going to practices, jams, and gigs is already enough of a project.

I was thinking the same thing. I saw somewhere (probably on the internet!) that 21-22" is the ideal height for playing pedal steel. I want my arms level, especially the left one. I've been using a dining chair, which seemed a little low, so I added a cushion. It was better.

I tried the bench like yours that I have for my keyboard, and found that the second hole makes it 21" high. So I'm going to try that.

--Al Evans

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 9:45 am    

I've used one of these for quite a while. It's comfortable, solid, and portable. It has been worth every penny I spent on it. I used to carry it with my volume pedal, extra strings, cables, etc. in a separate zippered bag.

https://on-stage.com/products/view/10506/117166

I also have a steel seat with a back rest. The ability to store accessories is a plus. The back rest is a great feature. I wouldn't use a steel seat without one. Of course, they are a lot more expensive.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 10:01 am    

I have one I use just for practicing at home.

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 1:03 pm    

That's what I use both a home and playing out, canvas bag for all the other stuff, works great.

Ed Boyd

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 1:24 pm    

I'm a keyboard player by trade so benches are what I started with. I already had them when I took up pedal steel. They work fine. I like the Pack-a-seat better. It holds all my stuff and the back is nice. My steel in the case is like 96 pounds alone so what more is schlepping the pack-a-seat. Without the pack-a-seat I would need something else to carry cables and pedals and tuner and spare strings. .... and having a good pack rest is nice.

Brian Folks

N. Padre Island, Tx.
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 2:21 pm     Piano Bench

This is the Steel Seat that I have been using only 14.95 from Wally World...with a back rest to boot...works great for me, just added an extra seat cushion for my lil' hiney Cool

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 3:51 pm    

Jeff,

I use that type of seat, and it is comfortable and rock solid. The one I have features several adjustable holes/pins, and folds flat for transport. Also have a pack-a-seat, but I think I prefer this piano/keyboard bench over it.

I pack my gear in small carry cases, suitcase style, has padded compartments, purchased from Home Depot...I think...

Last edited by Tim Russell on 3 Mar 2018 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Randy Schneider

SW New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 5:17 pm    

Brian,

I started on a desk chair like that, but the seat rotated. My playing got much easier and more consistent when I went to the piano stool -- and my chair stopped spinning the opposite direction when I pushed on a knee lever!!

Brian Folks

N. Padre Island, Tx.
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 6:04 pm    

Yeah Randy I have a piano stool, but it's folded up in the corner...I was thinking about drilling a hole through the main tube and putting a bolt through it so it does not move, but I have not really noticed mine moving any yet...I guess I don't use my knee levers enough....Ha!Ha! Cool

Chris Reesor

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 6:39 pm    

Another piano bench user here. I like the adjustable height, 22" for me, and as a bonus, it is wide enough for my Siamese (4 legged variety) buddy to sit beside me when I play. Don't miss the lack of a back rest, but do really like the strong, stable, folds flat part.
Not expensive, either.

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 7:33 pm    

I've been using one of those since I started playing 6 years ago. I'm a pretty big guy (got up as high as 250 before cutting out most of the sugar in my diet). I recently had to pull the vinyl off and replace the pressboard base with a piece of plywood, but that's after many years. I find I like to move it a little to the right when I play C6 - does a pack-a-seat have enough width that you can just scootch over on the seat? Or do those of you who use them find you want to move them a bit when changing necks?

Jeffrey McFadden

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 7:34 pm    

Baron Collins-Hill wrote:
I'm just a beginner, but I have one of those (this one to be specific http://a.co/8oWOIEk). It works great, and I have a medium sized camera bag I found at good will for schlepping my stuff around.

Thanks,
Baron

That's the exact one I ordered. Should be here Monday. So far I'm schlepping my other stuff in a raggedy old crossbody pack that I had laying around. Waiting to see how much more I accumulate. I was already playing a C6 lap steel, gigging a little, so much of my running equipment was already defined, mic & stand, music stand, light little wonderful Quilter Mach Two... two wheeler...

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 8:12 pm    

I've used a folding piano bench for a while now and they may lack storage space but are easy to move around or just fold up and put in the corner. I've seen a few other steel players using them as well

Leo Grassl

Madison TN
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2018 9:05 pm    

I use that exact bench and absolutely love it. Pack a seats are great but I personally prefer that bench comfort wise and it is adjustable in height. I have a backpack that is for camera equipment that I use to hold all my accessories. To me it is easier than lugging around a pack a seat

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2018 4:35 am    

yes, I do as well. It's part of my dedicated practice/studio space.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Eric Denmark

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2018 4:39 am    

That's exactly what I use... comfortable!!

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2018 10:51 am    

Comfortable, sturdy, height adjustable, folds up, comes apart. Very convenient and cost effective.

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2018 5:23 am    

Plus $30 case from Harbor fright.
Adjustable height.