The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Zumsteel Stage One tuning/setup question
Stephen Pride

Berkeley, CA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2018 12:27 pm    

I have an old Zumsteel-made Stage One guitar and I need some guidance on the setup. I bought it several years ago from someone who was not the original owner. There was no user manual that came with it, and I never thought to seek one out, unfortunately.

I've searched through the archives here, and I see that others have encountered a similar problem. Basically, I didn't realize that the lowers were to be tuned with the screws on the end plate, and that the hex nuts for those lowers were not supposed to be touched. so I adjusted them, and after a while, the changer came to look like this:

I've got a copy of the manual now, and I bought a 7/64" allen wrench at the hardware store yesterday. So last night, I went back to those "Don't touch!" hex nuts, and just adjusted them until everything was in a straight line:

So my question is, should I expect things to be better now? Or is there more to do to adjust the changer?

I will probably have some other questions too, but I wanted to start with this one.

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2018 12:35 pm    

You did the right thing!

You should now be able to re-tune all the raises with the nylon tuning nuts and tune the lowers with the hollow head cap screws in the endplate.

The short nylon tuning nuts (the red nut on current Stage Ones) holds the finger in neutral, so to speak.

Stephen Pride

Berkeley, CA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2018 12:37 pm    

Ah, wonderful, thanks Doug!

I'm going to spend a while playing it now and see if some of the other problems I've been having end up improving. If not, I'll be back here with more questions.