The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Standards on E9th neck
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2017 2:20 pm    

I love the old standards, All of Me, Misty, Confessin', etc...pop songs from the 30s and 40s and even before. Lately I have gone to playing a lot more of that kinds of music on steel rather than the country stuff,,,altho I love it as well. A fun project for me has been to learn them on E9th. Since I am not much of an improvisor, I find it fun to take them thru 2 times, once on E9th, then on 6 string guitar. I play them chord melody style or Chet thumb style as those styles have been a passion of mine for over 50 years on 6 string guitar as well. No point to the post, just sharing my enthusiasm. I can thank Erv Niehaus for his tabs on E9th getting me in that direction. Just an attempt to keep me off the streets and out of trouble ! Smile
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Last edited by Larry Lenhart on 18 Feb 2018 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2017 2:56 pm    

Larry,
Bless your heart! Very Happy

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2017 10:03 pm    

That was when music was music, Larry. I think Buddy Emmons wrote the book on the standards when, he did those albums with Ray Pennington. My late Mother, God rest her soul, was a drummer in her Dad's big band. And female drummers were unheard of. Nut when she married my Daddy, that changed. Daddy liked Hillbilly music. And I listened to that while my Mother was carrying me, in the womb. And it has stuck with me for 58 years. I have sat at my steel and figured out an arrangement for Tuxedo Junction on E9.I mean figured it out in my head and picked it out.

Tommy Shown

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2018 12:52 pm    

Interestingly I dug this old thread up and it was just about a year ago since I started it. These days I am still in love with the old standards of the 30s and 40s, but find my biggest satisfaction of figuring them out for my self on E9th neck (I no longer own a C6th pedal). When I work out one on guitar, chord melody style, I try to figure it out on the E9th pedal steel as well...I always find it amazing how they fit on there...the people who came up the "normal" E9th copedant really knew their music theory ! Its all there !
Again no point to my post, other than to share my enthusiasm for this music and wonder if others work them out...I can thank Erv still for my inspiration...he has done a lot of great tabs of that style of music !
I got motivated this afternoon to work up "Blue Velvet" after watching a netflex documentary on Tony Bennett and his singing of that great tune. I print off the music notation from biab and since I can read music, find the chords and melody on the steel and try to work it out in as smooth a way as I can. Lots of fun for me !
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Pete Bailey

Seattle, WA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2018 6:32 pm    

Larry Lenhart wrote:
These days I am still in love with the old standards of the 30s and 40s, but find my biggest satisfaction of figuring them out for my self on E9th neck

Me too, Larry. The combination of melody and chord movement in those great songs makes them just so compelling to play through over and over.

I learn something new about voice leading with almost every tune - those old songwriters really knew what they were doing... Smile

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2018 7:08 am    

Pete Bailey wrote:

I learn something new about voice leading with almost every tune - those old songwriters really knew what they were doing... Smile

I agree 100%...it definately opens my eyes and ears every time I try to work out an arrangement...even if I fail in coming up with something worthwhile to listen to, my time was definately worthwhile spent trying !

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2018 8:13 am    

A lot of the old standards lay very nicely on the E9th tuning. Songs like Satin Doll, All Alone, Ain't Misbehavin', Smile, and Moments To Remember are a few that I've done, and they seem to be made for the basic E9th setup. Very Happy