Post  Posted 24 Feb 2018 8:40 pm    

Last edited by Jeffrey McFadden on 26 Feb 2018 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2018 9:41 pm    

Alternatively, note 7 is on string 2.

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 4:10 am     What I Wish Somebody Had Told Me?

This is my opinion from studying many subjects. It may or may not apply to pedal steel or any other subject that anyone else studies.

A well meaning parent buys their child a six string guitar. The child finds it under the Christmas tree or with his socks and scarf from Grandma on their birthday.

Immediately picks it up and starts making noise with it. Is praised by parents and grandma, so continues making noise on it. Many hours, days and months pass, much noise is made.

Child or maybe now, young adult, discovers the big note music book that came with the guitar. He PUTS DOWN THE GUITAR and reads the book. He studies hard, but drawn by the pull of the now not being played guitar, he learns quickly, is distracted, picks up the guitar, back slides into not quite playing, but almost playing. He stumbles over basic concepts, unable to reach where he would have been had he REALLY READ/STUDIED the book. That's me...

I am an archer, never world class, but have shot higher levels of competition through out the States. I once read a game changing book, "The ZEN Of Archery". In the Japanese form of archery, the masters of old would teach students to visualize internally, the arrow hitting the mark, center of the target. They would sometimes do this, standing, drawing the bow, visualizing, but NEVER releasing an arrow for as much as one to two years. And then and only then would they be allowed to shoot an arrow. When it happened at this point, all was second nature. What were they taught? To read the book, the book of archery, written over a thousand years...

Your steel is new and shinny, it is talking to you. Play me, touch me, make a noise come out of my amp.

Could be, you need to read the book. I read in a post, you have Winnies and others books. Your question tells me, you need to read the book. The answers are there.

Can you find them sitting at your steel. Yep! But it will take longer then reading the book. And you may do it wrong and later have to make corrections. That's me...

Read the book and every thing about the instrument you can get your hands on. Get a good instructor. So you can jump start your steel learning. Me not, I didn't...

Learn to read tab. AND Standard MUSIC Notation! Study music theory. Me not, too hard headed...

Map your guitar neck, pedals up, pedals down, knee lever off, knee levers on. Use the numbers of the scales, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 etc. In every key. Me not...

Did I say, get an instructor. Me not, I had kids to raise and a career...

Above all, never get upset if someone offer suggestions. They are not attacking you, they are offering an alternative to the pain and strain they may still be enduring. Don't fault them.

These are all things I wish I'd done early on. But of course, I did not. My playing and lack of knowledge on the instrument show it. I truly wish better for you...

Welcome to the world of steel guitar. Read it again...

Jeffrey McFadden

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 6:34 am     Re: What I Wish Somebody Had Told Me?

Last edited by Jeffrey McFadden on 26 Feb 2018 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 6:50 am    

Everything you said is great (and I used to live and played music in KCMO from 73 to 96). You have to treat the Pedal Steel as a separate instrument. Your music theory greatly helps you but you must now look at it for what it is and not relate it to other instruments.

And, probably 95% of what I play on E9th can be done with the A&B pedals and the knee lever that lowers the 4th and 8th E strings a half tone. I have the other "C" floor pedal and 4 other knee levers but the A&B pedals and the knee lever that lowers the E's is the most often used.

Jim Park

Carson City, Nv
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 6:50 am    

He was saying “Read the book”

Jeffrey McFadden

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 7:20 am    

Last edited by Jeffrey McFadden on 26 Feb 2018 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total

Jeffrey McFadden

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 7:25 am     Moderator: Please close this thread

Last edited by Jeffrey McFadden on 26 Feb 2018 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 7:40 am    

Ahem.....”Above all, never get upset if someone offer suggestions. They are not attacking you, they are offering an alternative to the pain and strain they may still be enduring. Don't fault them.”
Doesn’t matter how old you are or how many other instruments you have studied.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 8:19 am    

I started taking piano lessons at 7. Then, sax at nine and sax all through school. Started guitar at 11, and took classical lessons til I was 16. Then, started playing in bands (guitar, bass guitar, lap steel, organ, singing and, even drums a little) which I did till I was about 46. Then, after about 10 yrs out of it, last year I decided I had to give PSG (my all time favorite instrument) an honest try. I joined this site, bought a console to fiddle with til my MSA is built, and started asking questions of these fine fellas (with all the experience and knowledge) on the forum - while trying not to be too demanding or dense. My point is: Even with all of my musical experience, this beast is unlike anything I've ever messed with and, that while my pretty extensive musical knowledge is a help mentally, this thing is making me feel like I just started playing - and I don't even have pedals yet. I have a head start with music theory but, I take everything that these guys, who have learned to "execute" the playing, gigging and other maybe less apparent knowledge of the instrument, seriously, and humbly and gratefully - but, that's just me.

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 8:22 am    

Jeffrey McFadden wrote:
Jim Park wrote:
He was saying “Read the book”

Yeah.

I've come to regret posting. I thought people might be interested in one simple help to get a beginner with a musical background started, but no, it's all about "we're special, you're stupid. And lazy."

Were you thinking I said, "Don't read the book?" Or, "I don't need the book?" Nope.

"Read the book" very helpful post, I try to "read the book" every day, Thank you Dick Sexton for posting, keep it up.

Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 9:21 am    

Mr. Jeff,

I play bass and guitar. I have played in bands, some older rock and country. But now, am learning pedal steel. I have NEVER been so EXCITED about learning a new instrument as this one. I have tried banjo and mandolin, but the excitement did not "click" until I tried psg. Don't let other peoples comments about your posting pop your balloon of excited learning/discovery. I am sure that is NOT what they meant, either.

Mr Dick mentioned some things such as taking in music theory, apparently not knowing that you had already done so! Let it slide, sir. Apply what THINGS he did say that you may not have done yet. Because there is so much to learn..............

For example, there was a posting about the first four strings that I had not considered. Playing them in 3 1 4 2 order is new, and can be used in songs. Something so simple and obvious (to the more learned), but new to me.

Don't regret your posting, it may help someone just learning psg. Full speed ahead! Warp 1! Engage!

...........................Pat

Ken Boi

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 1:00 pm     Re: Moderator: Please close this thread

Jeffrey McFadden wrote:
I desperately regret having posted this thread. I thought it might have a positive use for someone; I see I was mistaken.
Please close it. Lock it, whatever. Thank you.

Don't fret Jeff. I can now say "Somebody Did Tell Me".

I do read the books and watch videos, but do find interest in things people post that might help me. So keep at sir.

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 1:36 pm    

I certainly don’t think Dick Sexton meant anything negative by his comment...the instrument clearly, is still evolving? Nobody is challenging your education or experience...and you definitely aren’t alone? This contraption will beat, treat, and draw more mixed emotions out of you, than you ever imagined!? Best of luck to all of us!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 1:44 pm    

I don't see anything I or others posted that were derogatory. Everything is to help you dedicate yourself to learning the "new" instrument. Take the suggestions and run with it.

I'm 80 and still learn from teaching my wife, this forum and just coming across something by myself.

If you are still in the KC area, there are several excellent pedal steel players. Don't know if any of them do any teaching but would be good to investigate. Even though I retired and became a "Florida Retiree" I still keep up with some of the local steeler's. In fact they were having a steel guitar jam today (contact is drummer David Stair).

Last edited by Jack Stoner on 25 Feb 2018 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 1:45 pm    

Jeffrey, my little post got overwhelmed and perhaps lost in the subsequent conversation, but I was simply suggesting an alternative way to execute the scale, one I personally prefer for most applications.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 5:00 pm    

Jeffrey McFadden wrote:

I've come to regret posting. I thought people might be interested in one simple help to get a beginner with a musical background started, but no, it's all about "we're special, you're stupid. And lazy."

Were you thinking I said, "Don't read the book?" Or, "I don't need the book?" Nope.

Nobody really said that, Jeff, they're just expressing their own journey. Keep in mind that we all travel different roads, and do things our own way. (Exactly as we want?) You've go a BIG leg up on most (probably over 90% of us) because you can read and understand music. I've been playing well over 50 years, and no doubt you've probably forgotten more in that department than I'll ever know.

You'll have many more "epiphanies" along the way, so enjoy all of them. Very Happy

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 5:09 pm    

I really hope he's reading this stuff!
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 5:29 pm    

So do I, because I'm also what they call a trained musician - I can read and write and play several instruments - but the PSG is so unlike anything else that not much of that knowledge is transferable. I've had to immerse myself in its own special teachings and after 4 years I'm beginning to get a bit of confidence. Jeffrey's 4 days aren't really enough to measure progress by, however good he is on flute.

Jason Putnam

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 6:36 pm    

I have been playing for several years now. I have never had a gig or played with a band on the steel. I just play at home in my basement for entertainment and the love of good ole country music. I have learned so much from this forum. I have purchased a steel from here, made contact with other players, and it has always been a pleasant experience because I choose to make it that. The surprising thing for me isn’t the difficulty of the instrument, or the length of time it takes to make some halfway musical sounds come out. The surprising part is how easily people take the intended good will advice of others and get insulted. I recall a video posted on YouTube a while back from one of my favorite players. He simply made a video and showed the “exact” way to play a passage like it is on the record. This turned into a storm of controversy because he corrected someone’s video by showing the exact way it was played. I was just excited that a player of his level took the time to make the video for others to learn from. Guys please, anytime you want to teach me something new or tell me what I am doing wrong, please feel free to do so. It only makes me a better player.

Jim Park

Carson City, Nv
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 9:53 pm    

McFadden, you had it comin... that snarkey last sentence in your reply to a Gent that really is giving you good advice and was VERY well meaning, was over the top. I just couldn’t resist... Devil

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 11:23 pm    

Yep there’s an echo in here...The precise instruction for playing Do Re Mi is in every basic PSG instruction book ever published. There is no reason for it to be on the forum, even though I bet it was here somewhere before Jerry posted his outline.

The thing that I like most about this forum is that 99.999% of the time, everyone treats each other with humility, respect, intelligence, and openness.. I think it’s because we all know pedal steel kicks EVERYONE’s butt when they first start playing, no matter what their musical background is.

Most of us aren’t famous. We only know each other by what we say in our posts and links to websites and YouTube’s. The knowledge and insight that can be found here is truly humbling, though, both in quality and quantity. Some of our fellow forumites are real music heroes to me now, including Dick Sexton (I’m still using Beginner’s Notes Very Happy)

So thanks in advance for cooling out, everybody. This website and the pedal steel are what is keeping me sane these days Cool

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 11:47 pm    

Well said, Fred. When I first joined the forum I asked a lot of questions and took stock of all the responses whether they made me feel good or not. It took me a while to piece it together, but I now know that there are some particularly knowledgeable (and modest people) on here who share their wisdom for no other reason than their love of the instrument and the goodness of their hearts.

Art Beard

Once upon a time out west (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2018 2:40 am     Dick Sexton Suggestions

Follow what Dick Sexton said and save yourself many years of frustration. I have , like Dick, done it all as he has stated in this post, since I got my 1st $24.00 Stella six string in 1960, you do the math, lol. A lot of years of frustration. GOOD LUCK, as anyone wanting to learn and play the steel has given away ALL the high cards first Whoa! Very Happy Laughing CAA
GAS -1969 ZB D11/10,1974 Sho-Bud D10 Professional,1975 Speedy West S10, 150 yr okd Barn Board tele, Beard signature Gold Tone Dean Acoustic/Electric Bass, Tennessee 12 string Bass, 3 String Shovel.2 Fiddles., Sho-Bud amp, Epiphone valve special amp, Fishman loudbox artist amp.

David Cubbedge

Toledo,Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2018 9:29 am    

It will require a little monetary investment, but I would say these three words: "Paul Franklin Method" I am a 40+ year player, self taught, but I have learned so much from this course already and I have only been at it one month! I realize the cost of the course might be prohibitive to some, but I have had almost all my questions answered and feel I am on my way to finally being the steel player I'd like to be.

And there's nothing wrong with obtaining the same knowledge through other less expensive means - this forum, Mickey Adams YouTube videos, various PSG instructional material, etc....
Red Emmons D10 fatback #2246D with sweet Hugh Briley split cases, Black Emmons S10 #1466S, '73 Fender "Snakeskin" Twin Reverb, Peavey Nashville 400, Line 6 Pod XT, Fender 400, Fender Stringmaster Double-8, too many guitars, one bass!