The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My Daughter playing If (by bread) in pedal steel
Sharon Frances

Elk Horn, KY 42733
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2018 6:40 am    

My Daughter playing If (by bread) in pedal steel
hope you guys like it, please give us a feedback.

https://youtu.be/uI1cIs0epUQ

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2018 12:18 pm    

First off, you have a darling daughter.
I would say she's well on her way as far as dexterity and understanding of the instrument is concerned.. Looks like she has good physical control of the pedal steel guitar itself, and thats very important, and does NOT come easily for most...
That being said, her ear needs work, and that simply takes time... Her bar placement is not good yet, and needs work and time to develop. Sounded like she wanted to get a lot of vibrato, but it was a bit too much.. Tell her for right now to ease off a bit on wobbling the bar, and be more concerned with accurate placement to try and sound more in tune.. A LOT of the pitch problem seemed to me to be in the guitar itself.
Sounded like it was not tuned properly, and the stops on the pedals and knee levers were sharp or flat.. I think it was a combination, but from what I heard, it sounded like a lot of the pitch problems were with the guitar, not your daughters left hand...

That being said, she's going to be a fine steel guitarist one day, and you should be proud.

Not many kids her age could do it, thats for sure.

Also, I would have her start getting used to using finger picks as time goes on.

She's certainly off to a great start on a tough instrument..
Might want to see if there is a good local player to look her guitar over, tomake sure that steel is set up properly for her, and the pedal and knee lever tuning stops are in tune.... I wish all the best to her,,,, bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Sharon Frances

Elk Horn, KY 42733
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2018 12:58 pm    

Bob Carlucci wrote:
First off, you have a darling daughter.
I would say she's well on her way as far as dexterity and understanding of the instrument is concerned.. Looks like she has good physical control of the pedal steel guitar itself, and thats very important, and does NOT come easily for most...
That being said, her ear needs work, and that simply takes time... Her bar placement is not good yet, and needs work and time to develop. Sounded like she wanted to get a lot of vibrato, but it was a bit too much.. Tell her for right now to ease off a bit on wobbling the bar, and be more concerned with accurate placement to try and sound more in tune.. A LOT of the pitch problem seemed to me to be in the guitar itself.
Sounded like it was not tuned properly, and the stops on the pedals and knee levers were sharp or flat.. I think it was a combination, but from what I heard, it sounded like a lot of the pitch problems were with the guitar, not your daughters left hand...

That being said, she's going to be a fine steel guitarist one day, and you should be proud.

Not many kids her age could do it, thats for sure.

Also, I would have her start getting used to using finger picks as time goes on.

She's certainly off to a great start on a tough instrument..
Might want to see if there is a good local player to look her guitar over, tomake sure that steel is set up properly for her, and the pedal and knee lever tuning stops are in tune.... I wish all the best to her,,,, bob

Thank you for your feedback, we really appreciate it.