The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ev-zlx 12 Rewrite!
Andrew Srubas

Minneapolis, MN
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2018 12:38 am    

I decided to rewrite my post. Probably bad to post at 2 am after some beers and a gig. I don't think I was very clear.

I mostly play mr Dekley Slimline with a BL 705 through either a Vegas 400 or a Nashville 400. I mostly like how these Peaveys sound. They seem a little Honky to me and theyre so heavy, I'm sick of carrying them!

I have acquired two different items that maybe could maybe work for a lighter weight better sounding set up.

First item is a 12" Peavey Blue Marvel Speaker. I basically got this for free. I am not attached to using it but I do have it. Local player Joe Savage, uses a Blue Marvel mounted in a wedge alongside a Quilter Block of some kind and a Sarno Preamp. Sounds great. Super light. Not out of the question for my budget. Is this a worthwhile path? Have any of you used this kind of set up?

Second item is a EV-ZLX 12. This also came my way for practically no money. I saw that some folks use a powered speaker accompanied with a preamp or pod. Is this worth looking into? Again I am not attached to the idea but thought as long as I have it might be worth it? What are folks thoughts on a PA Speaker and some type of preamp? Does this work?

I plan to keep my Nashville for when I need lots of power but I'd like to get something more manageable for most of my gigs and rehearsals. Ideally it will sound as good or better than the Peavey.

Thanks for reading and your input. I appreciate the member and resource of this forum!

AJ

Last edited by Andrew Srubas on 24 Feb 2018 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Les Cargill

Oklahoma City, Ok, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2018 10:54 am    

You can break down a combo amp into three pieces that happen to be in the same package:

- Preamp

- Power amp

- Speakers

The preamp offers buffering ( more current ), tone shaping and level controls. Power amp just adds volts and current. Speaker moves air.

Voltage is force, current is how-many-electrons-per-second. Impedence is the ratio - volts/amps.

A head and cab ( like a 1960s Bassman )? Power and pre in one box, speaker in another.

The ZLX-12P offers speaker and power amp in one box. Yes, there are electronics in there in addition but just set 'em and forget 'em.

You need a preamp to go with it.

A cheap and simple solution is an old PoD kidney bean. Won't be the very best but it'll get you started. Or, you can bite off an get a nice preamp. If the PA speaker doesn't work out, you can trade it in on a seperate power amp and speaker.

There are a small eternity of preamp options.

Edit: A Twin on wheels is much less heavy than just grabbing the handle. You still have to lift it but you don't have to carry it. A 4-wheel dolly with pneumatic tires will traverse most terrain. For stairs? I'd revert to fiddle Smile