The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Windows update
Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2018 8:09 am    

I just noticed that I have not been getting any notice for Win updates so I tried to do a manual check to see if any were there. When I click on the button to search for updates I get a message that Win updates are not running and I need to restart the computer. I have done that 3 times now with no change I get the same message when I tried to search for updates. Any ideas about this??

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2018 9:05 am    

What version of Windows are you running?

Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2018 12:47 pm    

Win 7

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2018 12:55 pm    

Chances are they aren't doing upgrades on that version anymore. Sad

Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2018 2:11 pm    

I did a Windows trouble shoot and it came back and said to reboot then download. I did that and it had 10 critical updates which I downloaded and then tried to install. Once it said to reboot to complete the installation it would then show it was to reconfigure. It tried 3 times to reconfigure and on the 3rd try it finally came back on. When I checked to see what was installed it did not install the monthly rollup update. It has failed to install that one in the past, but apparently installed the other 9. I did not turn off my Virus protection when I tried to download and install. I never have in the past but maybe that is the problem with some of the downloads.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2018 3:56 pm    

Harold;
Download the Windows Update Troubleshooter for Windows 7. After the troubleshooter is done, try running Windows Update again and install any available updates.

There is a lot of information and tips for troubleshooting Windows Update problems on Windows 7, on How To Geek.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2018 9:19 am    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
Chances are they aren't doing upgrades on that version anymore. Sad

I still get the occasional Win 7 update on one of my computers. I can tell because my computer had rebooted and I get the message that Windows is updating my computer and to not turn it off.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2018 4:55 pm    

According to the Windows lifecycle fact sheet, Windows 7 support ends on January 14, 2020. In order to receive any updates through that date, you must have Windows 7 Service Pack 1 installed. Further, Windows Update itself must be updated to detect and deliver new security updates to Windows 7 computers.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2018 6:06 am    

Wiz Thanks for the reply. I downloaded the Win trouble shooter and it scanned and found some problems that it said were corrected. I tried to install two more updates that have failed in the past and they did not install. They were the monthly rollup.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2018 9:18 am    

Harold;
Have you followed my second link to update the Windows Update Client?

Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2018 11:51 am    

Yes I did download it and after doing that one of the updates were installed. The security monthly quality rollup was installed but the net framework was not. Both of these appeared in the critical update section.

Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 6:20 am    

Well still having problems with a critical Win update. I have been able to get it to update other critical updates with the exception of 2. The Monthly rollup for Win 7 and the Advanced micro device INC driver update for AMD SMbus. It goes thru the process of downloading and tells me it is successful but when I restart the computer it says it cannot reconfigure the updates and restarts a couple of times and then says they were not installed.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 3:03 pm    

Harold Dye wrote:
Well still having problems with a critical Win update. I have been able to get it to update other critical updates with the exception of 2. The Monthly rollup for Win 7 and the Advanced micro device INC driver update for AMD SMbus. It goes thru the process of downloading and tells me it is successful but when I restart the computer it says it cannot reconfigure the updates and restarts a couple of times and then says they were not installed.

Harold;
Please read this topic.

Also, read this article.

Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2018 6:00 am    

Thanks Wiz glad to get the info.