The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  2000 Danelectro Hodad Electric 12-string
Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2018 5:16 pm    

Hi guys,

This guitar has been sitting around unused too long. I'm a little gunshy about shipping it, but I'm sure I can sort that out. /**Edit...Had second thoughts on shipping, just going to keep this one a local pickup for now (Kansas City area).**/

I bought it around 2000, give or take a year I'd say. Blue sparkle finish that varies from a very dark, almost black navy blue to a sparkling sapphire blue depending how the light hits it. Three lipstick coils, and a rotary switch that gives a broad variety of sounds (all combinations are in series, so you can get more of the thicker sound when combining pickups) and a master switch that throws all pickups on in series...more output, fuller tone (the Nigel Tufnel Eleven "That Little Push Over the Cliff" switch, apparently).

It's seen very light use. I've probably played out with it 1, 2,...maybe not even half a dozen times? I recorded a song for a wedding with it in 2000/2001. But I'm not an electric 12-string player, I realized. If you want jangle and chime, it has it, for a lot less than a Rickenbacker. Sits nicely on the shoulder (they are hollow construction) and I always liked the Mosrite style body the Hodads had.

I have it listed locally for 300. With shipping, I'm not sure, I'd have to sort something out since I was planning to use the case for my Danelectro Hodad Baritone (which I'm keeping...unless you are desperately searching for one of these, in which case, make me an offer! Smile ). Anyway, I haven't listed it on other sites but I thought I'd put it here.

I'd entertain trade offers involving either 1.) archtop guitars, acoustic or electric...looking for a nice jazz rhythm box or 2.) 8 string lap steel, maybe...not overly happy with my current lap guitar...

Last edited by Nic Neufeld on 25 Feb 2018 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2018 7:29 pm    

Hey, Nic, I'd like something like that for the studio here. I have couple of hollow bodies I might be interested in trades toward, Peerless Gigmaster and a gorgeous blue burst D'Angelico.

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2018 7:50 pm    

Sure, those sound interesting, feel free to email or PM details if you like...

Art Beard

Once upon a time out west (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2018 1:25 am     guitar shipping

no horse in race, but have had excellent luck with "Fedex fragile ground shipping", US continetial.GOOD LUCK
CAA
GAS -1969 ZB D11/10,1974 Sho-Bud D10 Professional,1975 Speedy West S10, 150 yr okd Barn Board tele, Beard signature Gold Tone Dean Acoustic/Electric Bass, Tennessee 12 string Bass, 3 String Shovel.2 Fiddles., Sho-Bud amp, Epiphone valve special amp, Fishman loudbox artist amp.

Bryan Staddon

Buffalo,New York,
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2018 5:11 am     Yes it’s great !

If anyone is wondering, I have one of these and it is killer! I play it out a lot, tons of tone variations, stays in tune! For the money it’s hard to beat. Mines the same color too. It just sings through a twin and with some knob twiddling on an acoustic guitar amp you can get an almost acoustic sound out of it. Whoever gets this I’ll wager you’ll love it! Good luck with your sale.

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2018 2:50 pm    

Well, I'm sending an e-mail and private message with possible trade-bait ramifications, but as an aside for public notification - as that guitar has a removable neck, you can eliminate a huge portion of the damage potential if you pull the neck, wrap them each but pack them in a more-or-less flat square box. Guitars aren't usually that heavy, but that long shape makes for some leverage problems if it's dropped just exactly WRONG. And message sent too!

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 4:48 pm    

I had another buyer and was starting to arrange for shipment when I doublechecked it for function...which was a tactical error on my part. Into a warmish but clean tube amp, even with its rather ancient strings...brought a broad grin to my face. So I may keep it...or at least, I'm revising it back down to local pickup only...I know its odd but there was a part of me that was willing to go through the hassle and worry of shipping before I realized I would miss it a bit more than I expected, but I'd still probably be willing to part with it if I didn't have to bother with shipping..the rational part of me knows the guitar ought to be played more than I will play it... Thanks all for checking.

Craig Corry

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 9:09 am     Danny 12string

Hey Nick I’ll give you 300 right now with the case. but you will have to ship it . just pad the dickens out of it and use a lot of bubble wrap inside the case. 300 dollar insurance is minimal as well. I’ve shipped tons of times. I would really like to have it and I have had several Ric 12 strings. Thanks Craig Corry in NC 919 636 0400

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2018 10:08 am    

Thanks Craig, appreciate the offer but a combination of playing it again and feeling slightly less motivated to be rid of it, and a general reticence to sort out the shipping and packing involved, I've downgraded it to local pickup only...a long shot I know, but just in case there's a local steeler that wants a 12... Thanks for the offer though!