The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Have guitar, looking for learning resources
Baron Collins-Hill

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2018 6:34 am    

I am now the proud owner of a Justice S10 3x4, and would love to know everyone's favorite online or book related learning resources.

So, how do you suggest I tackle this machine?

Thanks!
Baron

Free Online Mandolin & Fiddle Tune Lessons
http://www.mandolessons.com

Pete Nicholls

Macon, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2018 6:49 am     Getting started is the hardest part!!

I, too, am a Justice owner, so welcome aboard. I started playing 5 years ago, and admit I am not a traditional player. I have, however played in clubs for the past two or three years. Guess I'm a honky tonk player! I also play guitar and bass. The secret to any success I have had is learning how to properly tune one, and studying the chords and their inversions. That means learning your copedant. There is a chord chart on this forum that was provided to us by someone I remember as Warnock. Do a search on the forum for chord chart and it should come up, if not, I will find it and send you the link. That is where I started. I also recommend Joe Wright's tutorials at http://sierrasteels.com/lessons/e9th-lessons.html
Quilter Labs Tone Block 202 Head
Roland Cube 80-XL
American Stratocaster - Yamaha Bass Guitar
1 Fender Telecaster Nashville Edition
Ham Call: N4BHB

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2018 7:28 am     Re: Have guitar, looking for learning resources

Baron Collins-Hill wrote:
I am now the proud owner of a Justice S10 3x4, and would love to know everyone's favorite online or book related learning resources.

So, how do you suggest I tackle this machine?

Thanks!
Baron

Being less than two months from where you are...

What I did was scrounge the net and find stuff that looked useful, try to play (or play with) it, try to figure out how to tune the guitar and the pedals, and generally try to learn my way around.

After I had my bearings a little (about three weeks), I signed up for Paul Frankin's course. It isn't cheap, but it is totally worth the cost. There's an associated Facebook group that adds a lot of detail and texture, both from Paul and from the other students.

I am quite pleased with how I am progressing after not quite two months. I can play stuff! In tune! Very Happy

--Al Evans

Michael Meader

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2018 8:30 am    

Im 4 months in and use the winnie winston book along with paul franklin method. Both excellent.

Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2018 8:35 am     learning materials

I like the Frechy Messier instructional material. It comes with play along CDs & Tab

Allan Haley

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2018 8:47 am    

I'm also a proud Justice PSG owner. I have been cycling Mickey Adams and Steelpicking Youtube vids for the past few years. I keep coming back to them to refresh what I've learned and to tease out the details that I couldn't get the time before. Also, you cannot go wrong with Jeff Newman material.

After the initial learning curve, it has been long plateaus and then a little step up, followed by another LONG plateau. It's important to look back once in a while to see our progress so we don't get frustrated.

BEST ADVICE- As soon as you can play a couple major and minor grips, get out and jam with humans.

Al

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2018 9:05 am    

Yes. The very best thing I did was join a band the same day I got my first steel. I became a collector of instructional material, everything I could afford, beg, or borrow. (No internet back then) I found I made the most progress when I took a small slice of material, or even one concept, and shoehorned it into every song or musical situation I could play or imagine. That helped me internalize the lick or concept better and faster than just playing through every song tab or exercise one after another, although I did that as well. Playing with others as much as possible is key.

Chris Tarrow

Maplewood, NJ
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2018 9:18 am    

I like this guy's videos:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHM8uFK2a4xx4za2nDRsvCQ

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2018 9:18 am    

I learned a lot from some of Scotty's material. I believe one of the publications was "The Anthology of the pedal steel". They should still be available through Mel Bay. Very Happy
Erv

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2018 9:31 am    

Baron, welcome to the Justice family.
I suggest getting in touch with Jody Cameron, he has several courses to offer.
Here's his contact info.
979-922-0293
emmonsd10@yahoo.com

Arron at Steel Picking is a great You Tube channel as well.

Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2018 10:44 am    

Hello,

This not being your first instrument, I would figure you can think out chords needed to play a song, right? Can you play a little by ear? If so, then you have a good start. And, getting a chord chart would help you put what you know along with what you are learning. Full speed ahead!

.............................Pat

Baron Collins-Hill

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2018 2:32 pm    

Thanks everyone!

I spent the day playing along with some of my favorite recorded music (a lot of Caleb Klauder and Reeb Willms). As mentioned, I've got some previous musical experience and have been following mostly I IV V patterns in a variety of grips, but haven't give much thought towards pick or palm blocking, though I have found myself doing a little pick blocking naturally.

I hope to be able to get out and play with some folks once I have the basics down, but finding the right group in rural Maine might be a challenge.

I appreciate all the suggestions, I will look in to them all! I already have the winnie winston book, which I picked up on a whim. I'm glad it is well regarded. I also live nearby some players who can show me a thing or two.

Thank you Fred for building such a lovely instrument! I'm still waiting for my volume pedal to arrive, but once I do I'll be in full working order!

Thanks again,
Baron

Free Online Mandolin & Fiddle Tune Lessons
http://www.mandolessons.com

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2018 2:37 pm    

Very good choice. Enjoy the journey.

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2018 3:13 pm    

Very nice guitar...Fred builds some nice instruments!

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 5:50 am    

The Jeff Newman courses are really good. William Litaker has a beginner's course, I haven't seen it, but I know his other material is really good, so you might consider that. You need to be pretty selective with youtube lessons, there is good material there, but also a lot of stuff that won't help much at all. The best thing is to find someone nearby that can give you some help. Have patience, it takes time. By the way, I think you will be very happy with your Justice guitar. I had one just like it and only sold it because I got another Justice, a Pro-Lite. They are excellent instruments.

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 7:22 am    

Baron Collins-Hill wrote:
Thanks everyone!

I spent the day playing along with some of my favorite recorded music (a lot of Caleb Klauder and Reeb Willms). As mentioned, I've got some previous musical experience and have been following mostly I IV V patterns in a variety of grips, but haven't give much thought towards pick or palm blocking, though I have found myself doing a little pick blocking naturally.

I hope to be able to get out and play with some folks once I have the basics down, but finding the right group in rural Maine might be a challenge.

I appreciate all the suggestions, I will look in to them all! I already have the winnie winston book, which I picked up on a whim. I'm glad it is well regarded. I also live nearby some players who can show me a thing or two.

Thanks again,
Baron

Play with others before you think you are ready (not necessarily gigs - jam sessions, open mic night). Because you'll never feel "ready" before you make the decision to take the machine out.

Play with ANYONE, any genre. Find out how the psg fits in any context you are presented with. You may find a band that never expected a pedal steel to be right instrument...until they hear it in the music they are playing. I've yet to find a single musician that doesn't think the instrument is cool and has a place. Whether or not they want to add another member is another question, but it's up to us to spread the steel gospel.

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 7:28 am    

AND....check this:
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=147199&highlight=wall+chart

If you can print on an 11x17 sheet, it'll be easier to read. There's a whole big bunch of information at a glance on this chart. Helped (and helps) me immensely.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 12:39 pm    

Mark van Allen wrote:
Yes. The very best thing I did was join a band the same day I got my first steel. Playing with others as much as possible is key.

I agree 100%. You will learn more by playing in a band than from any book.