The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  1973 Lacquer Emmons D-10 8x4 - Brownie - SOLD
Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 9:14 am    

For your consideration is a 1973 Emmons D-10, Fatback, Cut-tail, Push Pull, Original One Owner - Lacquer Guitar (Mouth full)…

Ok, where do I start… This guitar was originally owned and played by Hubert Brown (aka “Brownie”) of Sacramento California. Brownie was a great player and a great guy. I grew up listening to him play and you would swear Ralph Mooney was on stage. Brownie was quite the Ralph Mooney fan as we all were.

This guitar came to me in need of a full restoration, which I did. She was striped down to bare wood, prepped and sent to Southbound Customs for a new finish. I am sad to say Southbound announced last November that they will be closing their doors. All the metal bright work was professional polished by Doug Moss at “Bud’s Polishing”. Doug has been doing this work for many years and polished all the original Sho-Bud guitars. He also currently does work for well-known steel builders.

I have gone through each and every part, nut, bolt, screw, clip, etc. etc. Nothing has been bypassed as you can see from the pictures. New OEM Emmons fret boards were also used. The Kluson tunes were hot tanked and cleaned with an ultra sonic cleaner. To list all the steps taken and the hours involved would make this write-up far to long. I hope the pictures will tell a better story than I could ever write.

Also, something that cannot be seen is the hard rock maple pedal stop bar. Emmons used these in the earlier guitars up till 1969 and then changed to a flat piece of iron. Some say it makes a difference in tone (JD)…

Many of you know when you spot the Bill Lawrence Chrome 705s what a magnificent pickup they are and nearly impossible to find and buy. This guitar will come with the original dual coil Emmons pickups, switches, and pot should the new owner decide to install. Also included is the Emmons Volume Pedal that came with this guitar that I fully restored.

The original case is gone and was in very bad shape. We are lucky to have the Thomas Case company still around and bringing steel guitar players the finest cases on the market today. Brownie comes with a new Thomas case with a burnt orange velvet inside (Thanks Wade for the custom color).

The firm, no haggle price on this guitar is $old. If this guitar is shipped the cost will fall on the buyer. I will also require professional packing by Fedex so the guitar can be fully insured by the buyer.

My preference is an in person pickup as I always like meeting the people who buy and own my guitars. I encourage anyone who is seriously considering this guitar to speak to other owners with whom I have built for and to come test-drive Brownie.

References are forum members Ray Devoe and Steve Crosgrey. I encourage anyone to communicate with these owners if there are questions about my work as these two own guitars I have restored.

I will have this guitar at the Dallas show in the Eminence Speaker room where I will be with Travis Toy showing a few of my amplifiers loaded with the new Travis Toy TT-12 speaker.

I am providing a binder of pictures of the restorations and the original receipt when this guitar was purchased in 1973 from the Music Box in Sacramento, CA.

Thank you for your consideration and I look forward to speaking with you.

Videos Here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQuKLXO1XLs&t=9s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXviFzF2DT4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv5_xRnhWPQ

For full restoration pictures please visit
www.p2pamps.com/brownie

Zum double Hybrid 8x9, 64 Twin (JBLs), p2pAmps Bad-Dawg, p2pAmps Tremendous Reverb, Visit my website www.p2pamps.com

Last edited by Mike Scaggs on 25 Feb 2018 7:48 pm; edited 2 times in total

Daymon LaPoint

Jasper, Texas
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 9:47 am    

Mike please check your PM's.

'66 Emmons Bolt-On, Sho-Bud LDG, Sho-Bud Fingertip, Rus-Ler D-10, '70 Emmons, P2P Bad Dawg, Fender '59 Bassman,'59 Fender Twin "Bonamassa", Fender Twin Reverb and Rick Johnson Cabinets. Previous and Proud owner of James Blonde, Brownie, and Rosalee.

Last edited by Daymon LaPoint on 23 Feb 2018 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total

Mark Shuda

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 9:51 am     "Sweet Magnolia Blossums"!!!!!!!!!!

"Sweet Magnolia Blossums"!!!!!!!!!!

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 9:54 am    

Sold Pending Funds!

Zum double Hybrid 8x9, 64 Twin (JBLs), p2pAmps Bad-Dawg, p2pAmps Tremendous Reverb, Visit my website www.p2pamps.com

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 10:21 am    

Very Quick sale for Mike's excellent work.

Congrats to both Seller and Buyer

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 11:42 am    

Beautiful detail in every aspect! I really like the low key reddish flocking. It’s too bad Southwood Customs is no longer goi g to do finish work on guitars, they did such top notch customs & restos😔
Nice work Mike & lucky buyer!!

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 12:14 pm    

Kevin Mincke wrote:
Beautiful detail in every aspect! I really like the low key reddish flocking. It’s too bad Southwood Customs is no longer goi g to do finish work on guitars, they did such top notch customs & restos😔
Nice work Mike & lucky buyer!!

Thanks Kevin and I agree the Merlo Red wine flocking is really nice color combo. Im glad I picked that color. Southbound is still doing some ShowPros from what Jeff tells me but I am wondering how much longer. I may end up doing my own finish work once my new shop is built.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 1:23 pm    

Way to go Mike. Happy for you but it hurts a lot to see something that has so much of a part of you in it to let it go. Best of Luck, J.R. Rose

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 1:29 pm    

I saw this guitar at Brownie's house before it made it to Mike. I inspected it carefully and played it a bit, but decided to pass as I really didn't have any money, and I could see it needed much more work than I was prepared for. I encouraged Brownie to get the guitar to someone who was qualified to rebuild it. It looks like Mike did an outstanding job with the rebuild/restoration. That's an absolutely beautiful guitar. Great job Mike!

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 4:02 pm    

J R Rose wrote:
Way to go Mike. Happy for you but it hurts a lot to see something that has so much of a part of you in it to let it go. Best of Luck, J.R. Rose

I hated to let it go to be honest but I am planning to start construction on a new shop this spring and the extra cash will be handy. I know it will be going to a good home for someone else to enjoy...

Jeffrey Snyder

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 6:21 pm    

What you do to these guitars is truly outstanding in every detail. I am simply at a loss for words. Would loved to have had this one in the herd, but saw it too late. Happy for all involved.
1973 Sho-Bud LDG-Round Front (3&4), 1976 Marlen D-10 (8&4), Emmons Legrande II (8&6), Marlen and Jim Dunlop Bars, Sho-Bud Volume, Emmons Volume, 1983 Peavey Nashville 400, 1989 Peavey Nashville 400, Quilter Steelaire, Catalinbread Belle Epoch Analog Delay, Peterson Strobo Plus HD Tuner, National and Herco Thumbpicks, National Fingerpicks

Jeffrey Snyder

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 6:22 pm    

I loved your Black and Blue one a while back, but this one is even more appealing to my eye.
1973 Sho-Bud LDG-Round Front (3&4), 1976 Marlen D-10 (8&4), Emmons Legrande II (8&6), Marlen and Jim Dunlop Bars, Sho-Bud Volume, Emmons Volume, 1983 Peavey Nashville 400, 1989 Peavey Nashville 400, Quilter Steelaire, Catalinbread Belle Epoch Analog Delay, Peterson Strobo Plus HD Tuner, National and Herco Thumbpicks, National Fingerpicks

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 6:22 pm    

Jeffrey Snyder wrote:
What you do to these guitars is truly outstanding in every detail. I am simply at a loss for words. Would loved to have had this one in the herd, but saw it too late. Happy for all involved.

Thanks a lot for saying that...