The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nashville 112 Gain/Master Dance
Neal Vosberg

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2018 5:03 pm    

Having a hard time avoiding distortion on my 112. I'm playing a first generation Stage One with the stock single coil. Volume pedal through the Pre/Post EQ loop. Boss RV-3 straight in. I've got the Nashville in a separate room pointed away from me. I'm satisfied with my tone, but I can't seem to get the volume I'd like without unwanted distortion. I try to have my playing volume at the level I want at 80% on my pedal, with the a little reserve. If I have my Master Volume turned way up, and my Gain just inched up a little bit, its not quite the volume I'm after. If I inch back my Master Volume, and creep the gain up, its in the distortion zone. Whats the trick here? 80 solid state watts should be window rattling, not that I want that, but I'm even having trouble getting a volume to play over a song at comfortable living room volumes.

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2018 6:38 pm    

Use less volume pedal, put the pre gain at about 4 to 6 and master at about 6 to 7 and I think you will have better results. You are giving the amp a lot of initial signal the way you have it. Let the pre amp do more of the work. You will have sustain for about a week......

Personally I like it better with the guitar to the volume pedal to the input, and sometimes with the effects in the effect loop but usually with the effects after the pedal and then to the input.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2018 3:11 am    

I set the Pre Gain at 4 and Master at 6 when I was using a NV112. Had all the volume I ever needed and NO distortion.

Used the NV112 un-miked on the road and locally.

Rereading this thread what Doug posted is the best method and basically what I do. I go from guitar to (Hilton) volume pedal to a POD X3 (effects only) to the "High Gain" input on the amp.

Added, I would check the volume pedal for a bad pot. A bad pot can cause distortion. Cheap guitar cords can also be an issue.

Last edited by Jack Stoner on 22 Feb 2018 5:26 am; edited 2 times in total

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2018 3:31 am    

As stated above, let the amplification do the amplifying. If you start with too much gain into the input, there's no way you will get a clean signal.

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2018 6:03 am    

For clarification, I don't know that there is any performance difference in having the effects pedal "in line" vs. in the effects loop. If there is a difference it's pretty subtle. I just do it that way because it is less cabling.

I suppose that with the effect in line before the input of the amp you may get some buffering effect which can be desirable, probably not as much buffering as with the effect pedal before the volume pedal. With what I am doing it is not an issue so I don't dwell on it.

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2018 10:38 am    

It's pretty hard to distort a NV112. It might be something else in the chain. Is your stompbox running on a battery? If so, try replacing it -- or better yet, temporarily remove it from the chain to see if the sound clears up.

If you still have distortion, remove/swap cables and volume pedal, one item at a time, to verify the integrity each component in the chain.

Neal Vosberg

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2018 11:35 am    

Tucker, Is Oregon still standing? Lived there for years and made the trek out here. Miss it terribly. Doug, I do the volume pedal in the loop to avoid the increase in volume creating any added distortion and coloring the tone at all. I'm going to try and tear it all down and see what the faulty element is.

Henry Brooks

Los Gatos, California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2018 3:59 pm    

Just to clarify you should have your guitar output connected to the Nashville 112's high gain input, the pre EQ patch send goes to the volume pedal input and the Boss RV-3 output to Pre EQ patch return. Henry
P.S. If your volume pedal has a built-in buffer amp then you really don't need to use the Pre EQ patch.

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2018 8:10 pm    

Don't be afraid to 'dime' the master... plenty of amps don't have one, which is the same as all the way up.