The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Intel Updates for 6,7,8 series CPU's
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2018 5:44 am    

The following was recently posted on the tenforums.com from Intel. FWIW, My 2017 Dell laptop with a 7th gen i5 and my recording studio desktop with a 6th gen i7 (ASUS motherboard) both had BIOS updates earlier this week (and no problems with the BIOS updates).

Quote:
Over the past several weeks, we’ve been developing and validating updated microcode solutions to protect Intel customers against the security exploits disclosed by Google Project Zero. This effort has included extensive testing by customers and industry partners to ensure the updated versions are ready for production. On behalf of all of Intel, I thank each and every one of our customers and partners for their hard work and partnership throughout this process.

More: Security Exploits and Intel Products (Press Kit) | Security Research Findings (Intel.com)

Based on these efforts, we have now released production microcode updates to our OEM customers and partners for Kaby Lake- and Coffee Lake-based platforms, plus additional Skylake-based platforms. This represents our 6th, 7th and 8th Generation Intel® Core™ product lines as well as our latest Intel® Core™ X-series processor family. It also includes our recently announced Intel® Xeon® Scalable and Intel® Xeon® D processors for data center systems.

The new microcode will be made available in most cases through OEM firmware updates. I continue to encourage people to always keep their systems up-to-date. There is also a comprehensive schedule and current status for planned microcode updates available online.

We are mindful of the fact that, in some cases, there are multiple mitigation techniques available that may provide protection against these exploits. This includes “Retpoline,” a Google-developed mitigation technique for Variant 2. For those interested in more information on Retpoline and how it works, we recently published a new white paper. Google has also posted information about Retpoline.

I look forward to sharing additional updates soon. Again, I extend my sincere appreciation to all Intel customers and industry partners for their ongoing support.

Navin Shenoy
Executive vice president and general manager of the Data Center Group at Intel Corporation

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2018 6:57 am    

I'm assuming that since my 9 yr. old computer says "Pentium Inside", this doesn't affect me. Confused

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2018 7:18 am    

Nope