The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ordered a new Sierra today
Dan Kelly

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2017 4:09 pm    

Greg wrote: The new Sierra is also a marvel and not at all expensive if you consider a machinists wages at $62 per hour with overhead not to mention product development and the cost of premium materials. In fact it's pretty cheap compared to a vintage Fender tele which is basically a shaped block of wood with strings!

Let me second that! I have a background in manufacturing and product design. There is a whole lot more than meets the eye when talking about manufacturing a quality product. I congratulate Ross for taking the risk of innovating, especially in the face of the "installed base" of quality PSG's that are already out there!

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2018 8:38 pm    

Almost ready! Whoa! Very Happy Whoa! Very Happy

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2018 9:02 pm    

Lookin' good! Cool

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2018 9:42 pm    

Don't get too excited Zirbster....got two to finish up before I throw the rest of the parts at yours....soon come though!

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2018 10:01 pm    

All good....I can wait! Very Happy

Chuck Morel

Pottersville, New York
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2018 4:30 am     New Sierra

I play a Sierra, love it they have always been expensive guitars. I would imagine that in 15-20 years I would be able to afford this model used just like my D-10 Crown. Just not cost effective for most IMHO.

Gary Newcomb

AustinTexas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2018 2:32 pm    

These steels look and sound amazing (nice playing Dave!). I purchased my U12 new in 2002 and it’s only now after 16yrs of constant gigging and 12 trips overseas in that wheel-eez case that it’s coming in need of maintenance.
I shudder to think what a new U12 would be based on the s-10 price and bummed that it’ll likely forever be beyond my meager club gig earnings but I’ve got mad respect for the design and the forward thought. I love the mechanical reliability of my Sierra and love that these new ones are built with more tone and resonance in mind as well. ❤️❤️

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2018 6:17 pm    

Saw the new Sierras at the SWSGA show this year... very, cool.
Really...

Art Beard

Once upon a time out west (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2018 4:28 am     New Sierra Steel Guitars

Whoa! Having to luckily met and talk for hours with Ross at the SWSGA show. I am now a true believer that he has developed the most inovative steel to come along since what i call the great years, 1966-1976 in steel guitar advancement. Like Dave I am a :tone guy" who loves the lacquered beauty of a great piece of wood and thinks it ads to the tone.. Its o.k., you can call me crazy, I do, lol
ROSS'S friendship means the world to me. He is building the most advanced and still beautiful steel made today. In the footsteps of both Shot and Zane and Mr. Stadler. If the cash is ever available to me, I WILL own and play this new Sierra . THE BEST OF LUCK, IDEAS AND ALL TO YOU ROSS.
Your friend CAA, Say hi to the piglets for me. The idea of playing in the mud with them, almost has me headed your way Laughing Laughing
GAS -1969 ZB D11/10,1974 Sho-Bud D10 Professional,1975 Speedy West S10, 150 yr okd Barn Board tele, Beard signature Gold Tone Dean Acoustic/Electric Bass, Tennessee 12 string Bass, 3 String Shovel.2 Fiddles., Sho-Bud amp, Epiphone valve special amp, Fishman loudbox artist amp.

Carl Williams

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2018 11:36 am     New Steel

Fine looking cabinet Dave! It’s very exciting to get a new Steel. Standing by for news when you take delivery of “Ruby” 😉...Carl

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2018 10:36 pm     Sierra

Dave Z, you are one lucky Sierra owner. Steve t

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2018 1:58 pm    

Received my guitar last Sunday.......did two gigs with it......AMAZING!!!! No regrets....worth every penny!!!!!!!

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2018 2:34 pm    

Here is "Ruby"and her creator!

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2018 3:24 pm    

Mighty Handsome! The guitar looks good too!

memphislim

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2018 6:57 pm    

Congrats on your new guitar Dave, welcome to the family. I picked up mine right before you.

For those wanting more info on these remarkable guitars, I created a video:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=2730138#2730138

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2022 9:12 am    

Greg Cutshaw wrote:

The new Sierra is also a marvel and not at all expensive if you consider a machinists wages at $62 per hour with overhead not to mention product development and the cost of premium materials. In fact it's pretty cheap compared to a vintage Fender tele which is basically a shaped block of wood with strings!

I welcome the innovation that companies like Sierra and MSA are introducing into the market. I work with a team of tool makers, engineers and machinists every day. I realize the hours it takes just to build the first guitar and the overhead of running even a small shop with overhead like machines, maintenance, insurance, labor, product development and programming, procurement, etc.

Greg: I think I remember reading these comments of yours way back when you first posted them. Your understanding of the true cost of making something like this warms my heart. Thank you for the kind words and understanding.

Gary Newcomb

AustinTexas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2022 11:51 am    

Those makin chips vids gave me a quantum boost in my understanding of what it takes to put it one of these beauties together. It’s much more complicated than playing them!

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2022 12:08 pm    

Gary Newcomb wrote:
....It’s much more complicated than playing them!

For actual musicians maybe.....designing and building these suckers is easier than playing 'em for me!

glad the vids are informative!

Steve Mueller

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2022 6:44 am    

Ross,
Your steels remind me of a present day Anapeg. Very innovative in all respects. Great work!

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2022 9:12 am    

Thank you Steve, that's a big compliment! Noel Anstead's work along with that of Chuck Wright, Mitsuo Fuji, Paul Redmond and Lamar Colvin provided a lot of the inspiration that went into the Sierras I build.

It was actually one of Paul Redmond's Whitney guitars that I saw pics of that cemented my desire to build these contraptions. Thanks Paul!

Andrew Goulet

Post  Posted 6 Feb 2022 9:55 am    

I dream of owning a 14 string Sierra in D13 one day. Beautiful guitars, and the craftsmanship leaps off the screen. They'll be on this earth much longer than any of us.

Matt Kidney

Galway, Eire
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2022 12:46 am    

I've listened to Ross share the journey of the Sierras, and I'm going to watch the videos.

I'm only a beginner but the way he speaks about them makes me want one.
If I start saving now, by the time I can play well enough to deserve on I might have the money together!