The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  SIT Strings
Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2018 2:01 pm    

Has anyone had issues with SIT Nickel wound PSG strings? They seem to go out of tune some what during a session. Normally just the strings that are pulled. C6 same issue. I tried SIT strings a couple months ago. Normally a Ernie Ball nickel wound user. Strings are on a Sho Bud Super Pro. The changer is pulling and returning properly and the machine tuners are tight.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2018 2:16 pm    

I haven't had any problems with them.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2018 7:29 pm    

Yes they are junk. Either get Jagwire or Live Steel Strings or you never know what you are getting with others; the inconsistency is appalling.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2018 7:37 pm    

Only had one problem with a rusty pack I got at the St'Louis steel convention. Other wise They stay in perfect tune on my Derby.

Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2018 7:46 pm     Sit strings?

I have been using sit strings since around 1982, and am still using them today. I put a set on one of my pp,s a couple of weeks ago. Did a recording session 2/days later and they were perfectly in tune after hauling the guitar in the back of my van assembled on a rainy night. So I guess one mans junk is another mans treasure....thanks jack

Ben Waligoske

Denver, CO
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2018 7:58 pm    

I change strings a lot, so SITs are nice for the price. Never had any noticeable issues with them versus other brand strings as far as tuning, although I will say Jagwire's seemed to last a bit longer - they were just harder/more costly to order in bulk, so I've been using lots of SITs lately...

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2018 5:17 am    

Never had a problem with SIT ordering them direct.
Switching from brand to brand could be a problem.
If the strings are slipping?? It is likely not the string at fault.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2018 7:04 am    

I've had tuning issues with SIT steel guitar strings. Years ago and within the last 5 years. Years ago I tried some Buddy Emmons SIT strings and they were like rubber bands, couldn't get them to tune up or stay in tune. Took them off and put my usual George L's on and no problems. About 5 years ago I bought a set at a local music store for a borrowed Sho-Bud Maverick that was loaned to my wife to learn on as I was running short of George L's and didn't want to use them. It had tuning problems with them. Broke down and used George L's on the Maverick and no problems.

We also bought a set of SIT bass strings, for a P-Bass, from them at their St Louis (ISGC) booth and never liked them there either.

OTOH the owner of the local music store is a steel player and uses and likes them on his Sho-Bud. Go figure.

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2018 8:23 am    

I use them on all my steels and don't notice any problems. A couple of times, I ordered Live Steel strings; didn't notice any difference from the SITs.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2018 5:42 pm     SIT Strings

Could have been a bad run of strings. Same issue on E9th and C6. I can't remember having string issue like this in years. Thanks guys for the feedback.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2018 8:01 pm     SIT Strings

For about 14 years I used George L strings from a local supplier. I got 12 .011 GL strings that broke in just a couple hours. Then got another 12 and that was 13 years ago and I have 3 or 4 of them left.
In Dec 2016 I went to a GFI 12 U and been ordering SIT Stainless wound strings for it. No problems. I write the date of string change and go from there. I noticed at our jam tonight they sounded a little Dingy. Checked and they were put on 12-5-27 Changing strings is a tomorrow project.

Chris Johnson

USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2018 8:53 pm    

Tried a set for the first time a few months back due to logistical delays with my regulars. First time I've ever taken off a set of brand new strings Oh Well . The plains were ok but the wound strings felt super loose to me. It sounded ok and "stayed in tune" but felt flimsy. Slapped on my GHS Americana/Progressives soon as they came in.

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2018 12:27 am     Psg

Used SIT's, Sho-Bud light gauges for a long time with only a few bad strings in a pack. Also used Frenchy's Steel Mill strings for a long time with no problems. Live Steel Strings, I've had good luck with and currently I'm using D'Addario EPS490's which seem to be as good as the LSS or maybe even a little better for holding pitch.

Mark Bracken

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2018 5:03 pm     Strings

Having been in the business a while, what I can say is that there a really just a handful of musical instrument wire suppliers, folks that actually draw the wire. You'd probably be surprised that regardless of the brand you play, many of you are playing the same wire from the same maker. We've found that constant quality monitoring is essential...sometimes the same spool has bad footage, after a long good run. Most winding machines are similar technology, with some major exceptions (I have to keep it at that). So yes, there will be various opinions on brands, which can reflect on the raw materials quality at any particular time.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2018 5:38 pm    

We have three wire rolling mills where I work. We do get a lot of variation in the wire. Our wire comes in bundled on spiders. If the bundles are not evenly heat treated the wires hardness or cast can vary every few feet depending on the diameter of the bundle. This can happen if the bundle sits near the corner of a leaky furnace that has uneven temperature. It's also not uncommon to have incoming wire thickness variations as well. We do have gages that check the outgoing wire but only one of our mills has the gage readings fed back to the mill rolls to control the shape and thickness. Otherwise we have to monitor the wire gages and adjust on the fly. I imagine that most guitar strings are probably drawn through dies and not rolled. In any case I am just saying there can be a lot of variables in raw material and tooling wear that can affect the final wires dimensions and properties. Even more variables come into play if you are winding a wrapping around the strings.

It appears that some batches of strings are defective and not caught by the manufacturers quality checks. SIT has a pretty detailed web site and it appears that they manufacture their own strings:

http://sitstrings.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger