The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Information on the steel Santo Farina played Sleep Walk on
Mark Roeder

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2014 12:33 pm    

Wow, thanks for all the cool background info...can't wait to see what Jody has to add.

I "played" sleepwalk on a dual pro and it sure sounded right to my ear! Compared to other steels I have played it on

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2014 12:43 pm    

Yeah, Sleep Walk is an excellent example of the Fender trapezoid pickup tone... a bright, strong,' in your face' sound! Cool Santo played it on a T-8 Custom, same electronics as the D-8 Dual Pro.

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2014 12:48 pm    

Mark Roeder wrote:
can't wait to see what Jody has to add.
That's what I was thinking 7 years ago.

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2014 1:09 pm    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
Yeah, Sleep Walk is an excellent example of the Fender trapezoid pickup tone....

Oh yes indeed, BTW Doug it's nice to see that you use the correct name for the tune "Sleep Walk" as on the record, why anyone would call it <Sleepwalk> is beyond the pale to me..

Sleep walk
'stead of dreamin' I sleep walk
'cause I lost you and now what am I to do?
Can't believe that we're through

Sleep talk
'cause I miss you I sleep talk
While the memory of you lingers like a song
Darling, I was so wrong

The night fills my lonely place
I see your face spin though my brain
I know, I want you so
I still love you and it drives me insane

Sleep walk
Every night I just sleep walk
Please come back and when you walk inside the door
I will sleep walk no more

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2014 4:16 pm    

Ken mentioned that Santo may have not have used a volume pedal, and that makes perfect sense. I never realized it, but that may be part of the reason his sound is so full-bore and "in your face". The sound of a trapezoid pickup directly into a Fender Twin amp, no reverb. What a biting tone.

Peter Huggins

Van Nuys, California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2014 8:09 pm    

Johnny and Larry Carlton:

http://youtu.be/s6nPJcvJ3vQ

Greg Booth

Anchorage, AK, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2014 8:28 pm    

I have trouble listening to Johnny...anybody else?

Todd Clinesmith

Lone Rock Free State Oregon
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2014 9:22 pm    

Yes, he's a head of the tune . A bit rushed for the laid back tune it is. Must be stage nerves or something.
Glad he's out there doin' it tho.

Rob Munn

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2014 8:25 am    

Did Santos play this in C6th? Like the snake charmer song when I took up the "licorice stick" (at age 9-didn't last) due to my dad's influence with his Big Band music, I just had to play "Sleepwalk" as my first song to try and master. I play it in G high bass, mostly on the 5th fret, with the harmonic final touch playing 1st string 5-7-14-9, and it sounds pretty good to me although I may be missing some minor chords. I still haven't mastered string blocking and the harmonic. Fun to play. So, what tuning does he play it in?
(I'm sure this has been discussed before but I'm wondering if anyone else plays the song the way I do.)

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 1 Feb 2014 8:51 am    

Santo played it in C#m7

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2014 10:23 am    

Notice on the label of both records the composing credits are given to Farina, Farina, Farina. That must mean Santo, Johnny, and their sister who wrote the words. So, in effect, Johnny is being given part of the composing credits, and their sister is being given credit for the words on the instrumental version. Whoa!

There are several interviews on YouTube with Johnny Farina. In the first of those below the guy interviewing him seems to know very little of Santo & Johnny even though he makes out he has always been a fan of theirs. At one stage he even says that they should have been called Johnny and Santo, and Johnny doesn't correct him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5boxa3WGFkQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzXnZAbI6bk

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2014 3:31 pm    

Quote:
...he even says that they should have been called Johnny and Santo

Yeah, the "bait and switch" is now complete. One of the shows I played on about 10 years ago, the promoter was very excited. She said "I think Johnny Farina will be on the show! You know... Sleep Walk!!" That's when I knew the switch was complete. Like I said earlier, the average person doesn't know or care. We steel guitarists are the only ones who care, and some of us don't even care, for some reason. Oh Well

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 19 Feb 2018 10:56 am    

The subject of Sleep Walk and Santo & Johnny, and of the Betsy Brye vocal version, keeps coming up, but this is the most complete discussion of the facts.

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 19 Feb 2018 11:06 am    

There was some talk a couple of years ago of Santo Fariña having passed away, but it turned out to be his cousin with the same name who had passed away.
Anyone have any news of Santo Fariña recently?

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2018 10:51 am    

Alan Brookes wrote:
The subject of Sleep Walk and Santo & Johnny, and of the Betsy Brye vocal version, keeps coming up, but this is the most complete discussion of the facts.
+1 and thanks to Doug for is informative comments. As much as I enjoyed Alan’s story and wanted it all to be true...

Funny how we can know exactly what kind of equipment was used to record Sleep Walk, right down to the picks and bar, and we know the simple tune note by note and how it is supposed to sound, and can never quite get it. Santo had some mojo.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2018 12:14 pm    

That’s right, Fred. A lot of players buy the same guitar or amp as their heroes, believeing that they will sound just like them. It’s fool’s gold.

BTW I feel a little uneasy when I read some of my comments posted years ago about Johnny’s playing. In the long run, I’m thankful that Johnny took up the steel guitar and continued the legacy that he and his brother built. He continued touring, playing shows and promoting the steel guitar. And when S&J were inducted into the steel guitar Hall of Fame at Scotty’s convention, Johnny was very humble and reminded the audience that his brother, Santo, was the player of the original Sleep Walk.

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2018 3:58 pm    

Indeed, a humble man with a lot to be humble about.. Rolling Eyes
CLICK THIS to view and buy——>

Don Crowl

Medford, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2018 9:16 pm    

Check my recent post in the forum online section. It is an old clip on the Dick Clark show wherein Dick told how the song was conceived & written, followed by them playing it. Great close ups of Santo's work on that T-8.

Paul Honeycutt

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2018 4:15 pm    

But what I want to know, is, what are the three chords Johnny plays on guitar at the end of the song? Has anyone ever tabbed them out? He's playing mostly first position chords and at the very end there's these "jazz" chords.

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2018 5:42 pm    

Not exactly the same positions, but the same effect..

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2018 8:34 pm    

Db being the tritone of G, the Db9 chord can be thought of as G7b9#5. So that ending is a straight I - V7 - I. Johnny was no slouch on his rhythm guitar part that day.

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 9 Mar 2018 5:22 pm    

Basil, is that E C# B G# E C# low to high or high to low?

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2018 6:41 pm    

Alan, E C# B G# E C# has to be high-to-low, otherwise it would make no sense. The intervals would be monstrous.

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 16 Jul 2018 5:36 pm    

basilh wrote:
...Also, where is Santo now and why didn't he come to the convention to receive his award...

Deke Dickerson posted this on Facebook on 20Mar2018:-

"I had an address on Long Island. I wasn’t even sure it was the right Santo. Way off the beaten path, I pulled up to a gate that said “do not disturb.” I debated opening the gate and going in, and just then I saw somebody on the property walking behind a car. “Excuse me,“ I said. A Gentleman walked out from behind the car. “Are you Santo?” I asked. He looked me up and down. “You got some balls to come all the way out here looking for me,“ he replied. After showing him my “credentials,” he told me he didn’t want me coming in the house, but he offered to take me to the local McDonald’s and tell me anything I wanted to know. Does does he still play? Yes, but only inside the house. Has he talk to Johnny since their 1976 break up? He’s only seen him briefly once or twice, out in public, and they didn’t speak. Does he know that people are looking for him? Yes, he has had many offers to perform and record. Does he still own his original steel guitar? Yes, he does. Does he have any interest in coming out and playing some festivals? No interest whatsoever, he says. Would he be up for letting me call him and do a real in-depth interview, so I can write his story down? Yes, “but that number is just for you, OK? Don’t go giving it out.“ Then he said he had to get back to his house. I dropped him off, and he told me I was crazy for coming up to his place. I told him i was grateful he didn’t chase me off his property with a shotgun. He laughed, and went back inside. And that, to the best of my knowledge, is the only contact Santo Farina has had with anybody connected to his musical legacy of Santo and Johnny for over a quarter of a century. More to come.."

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2018 3:04 am    

There are a couple of references in this thread to Ann being the sister to the brothers. Just to clarify, Johnny Farina stated in one published interview that Ann is in fact Santo's wife.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,