Tau Moe BBC Broadcast
http://mbf.cc/37CIo2

Click Here
or here:- http://mbf.cc/37CIo2

Click logo for my bars.

Steffen Gunter

Munich, Germany
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2017 7:47 am    

Thank you very much, Basil, for sharing these great recordings again!

Josei Alfonsi

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2017 9:48 am    

Basil,
looks like I was late for the boat.. story of my life. would it be possible to repost the links if you have time? I would love to give these a listen.

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2017 12:24 pm    

Josei, here you are..
Mahalo Nui for your kokua.
Pakile..

Here's the link..
http://mbf.cc/pIhDKC

CLICK THIS to view and buy——>

Steelies do it without fretting

CLICK THIS to view my tone bars and buy——>

Josei Alfonsi

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2017 11:49 am    

Thanks so much Basil. Ive been searching for these for a while. I love Jules Ah see chord fills.

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2017 5:28 am    

I just joined the forum (new to steel guitar but a fervent acolyte) but have to jump in and say, thanks so much! These are fantastic and when I saw the age of the thread at first I thought all the links would be dead by now. I was introduced to this music from Alfred Apaka and always loved his steel guitar players (never knew the names until recently). Also, just the sheer quantity of songs being preserved here is great, many of which I've never run into before. Some are amusingly bawdy, but hey, its a nightclub. Laughing

Also off-topic, I had Sweet Leilani in my head all weekend and found a few versions of yours online, Basil...wonderful playing!

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2017 11:46 am    

Glad you found this thread Nic, my personal favourite version of myself playing it, is live at the Castaways in 1967 with my wife Pat on rhythm guitar, Clive Morton on bas and Frank Leadon on percussion.. Hell that was 50 years ago..
This one :-->
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXGjtP63_S4

CLICK THIS to view and buy my Ezzee~slide Tone Bars——>

Scott Thomas

Post  Posted 26 Sep 2017 4:08 pm    

Thank-you Baz. I downloaded these originally, but it sure was convenient to be able to just do it again for my new computer as well.

Your playing is magnificent too. You could have easily played the Tapa Room.

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2017 6:01 pm    

basilh wrote:
Glad you found this thread Nic, my personal favourite version of myself playing it, is live at the Castaways in 1967 with my wife Pat on rhythm guitar, Clive Morton on bas and Frank Leadon on percussion.. Hell that was 50 years ago..
This one :-->
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXGjtP63_S4

I found that one in short order after watching a few of your more recent ones. I'll credit you for broadening a new player's mindset...I was all set against pedal steel as a particularly country thing. I may never go pedal, more out of my parsimony than principle, but you do it so well in an entirely Hawaiian way (at least, as much as I can judge)!

There are a lot of highlights on these recordings, but man, the first track (Ne'e Ne'e Mai) the steeler really lets go, his rhythm section completely supporting him (I assume it was Jules Ah See). The tone has that really throaty midrange, and you're right, he isn't drowning it in reverb. Makes those those crisply comped chords fit more naturally in...

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 6:34 am    

Nic Neufeld wrote:

There are a lot of highlights on these recordings, but man, the first track (Ne'e Ne'e Mai) the steeler really lets go, his rhythm section completely supporting him (I assume it was Jules Ah See). The tone has that really throaty midrange, and you're right, he isn't drowning it in reverb. Makes those those crisply comped chords fit more naturally in...

I assume so too - what a great treasure to have these recordings.

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 11:47 am    

Another one with an exceptional solo break...E Lili'u E, quick two minute number, rhythm section swinging hard. First solo break is excellent, but the second one at 90 seconds, that's crazy stuff!!!

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2017 8:38 am    

Maybe found a way to date these (or at least one track). On "Moana", Alfred makes a dedication "especially for a Mrs. Kupele, who has today, along with David, our guitarist in the band, become the proud parents of a little boy". In a few searches I couldn't find anything on his son(s). I did find this from when he passed on, it mentions his youngest daughter:
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2003/May/21/ln/ln44a.html

OK, maybe I put too much effort into this...but found in old obits and other records his sons Ronald and Dayton. Ronald was born Aug 1950 (has since passed on). Probably too early for that I assume, and Dayton Kupele's birthday appears based on publicly available sites to be early 1958 (I won't post day since it is probably considered PII). Which from what I've read should be spot on. Oh, the things I will do to get out of writing my master's thesis.

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2017 3:50 pm    

I'm late to the game. File seems to be dead. Does anyone else have a link? Thanks!

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2017 10:52 am    

I can't verify it from here (firewalls...) but just checking the simple thing first...did you try the latest link Basil posted, or just the original? Ie., the one on page 4...

Question for those less green to steel guitar than myself (that being all y'all). "In a Little Hula Heaven", track 19...anyone got an idea of which tuning Jules is using there? I know the tuning charts said he used C6, B11, and E13. I know precisely zilch about the latter and go back and forth between the former. Listening to that intro and some of those interesting chords...I am guessing he's playing B11, since it sounds like he's hitting the high double stops with a 5th on the top end (3rd, then 5th on top, as opposed to the typical C6 sound with root, then 3rd, for that last string...). I suppose he could be doing that on the 2nd/3rd string (6th and root, but same interval as 3rd and 5th). But the high sharpness of it made me think it was the top strings...

Such a great tune!

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2017 11:02 am    

Nic Neufeld wrote:
I can't verify it from here (firewalls...) but just checking the simple thing first...did you try the latest link Basil posted, or just the original? Ie., the one on page 4.

"File Not Available"

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2017 1:46 pm    

Jim Fogarty wrote:
Nic Neufeld wrote:
I can't verify it from here (firewalls...) but just checking the simple thing first...did you try the latest link Basil posted, or just the original? Ie., the one on page 4.

"File Not Available"

I got the same response Jim.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2017 2:41 pm    

Sorry guys, if I had a webhost would be happy to host it. I wonder if it would be hostable in the Internet Archive or if there would be licensing/ intellectual property roadblocks...

I gave a shot at a B11 tablature of the Hula Heaven intro (or the first half...the second half is much the same. Probably off in a number of spots but it really seems to fit B11!
Code:

E-10-11-12-|-13----6-6-6-6-------------------
C#-10-11-12-|-13-13-6-6-6-6-6---6---11-10-9-8-
 A----------|----13---------6-6-6-8-11-10-9-8-
F#-10-11-12-|-13--------------6---8-----------
D#----------|-----------------------11-10-9-8-
 B----------|---------------------------------

E-------3---/6-------6---8---------6-----8---
C#-1-2-3-3-3-/6-6---6-6-8-8-9-4-5-6-6-7/8-8---
 A-1-2-3---3----6-6-6---8-----4-5-6---7/8-----
F#----------------6---------8-----------------
D#----------------------------4-5-6-----------
 B--------------------------------------------

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2017 4:40 pm    

In hopes of saving Basil the work of uploading and reuploading, I tried archive.org. I'm not an IP lawyer so it may get removed for all I know (and Basil if you'd prefer I remove it let me know and I can) but just for posterity and ease of access, I uploaded it there...try this link:
https://archive.org/details/TapaRoomTapes

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2017 8:15 pm    

Thanks, Nic!

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2017 8:22 pm    

Is there a way that a person could legally put this on their own computer ? Record them in batch or record them individually with Audacity ? I dont fully grasp what I am looking at and hearing, so I dont want to infringe or step on anyones toes,,,Basil or anyone for that matter.
Thanks for any advise.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2017 4:10 am    

Options for download appear to be down and on the right...the basic MP3 one seems to be here:
https://archive.org/compress/TapaRoomTapes/formats=VBR%20MP3&file=/TapaRoomTapes.zip

Audacity is pretty useful for these files I have found but recording them manually like that would be quite the chore...in my case, I use it to do a "Change Tempo" filter on some of Jules' lines to slowly figure out what he was doing.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2017 8:35 am    

Thanks Nic, I got that done and it is now in my IPOD for many hours of listening pleasure. I appreciate your post of that information. Smile

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2018 6:36 am    

Possibly a labelling correction...number 37 is listed as Ne'e Ne'e Mai 2. A distinctly different song from the first track, I assumed it just shared a song title. But after some research...well, googling the first line "ke huli hele"...turns out it is a song called MÄ« Nei. Heard it overhead at the Disney Polynesian resort in Orlando over the weekend (we just visited from another cheaper hotel).

Sebastian Müller

Berlin / Germany
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2018 10:55 pm    

Can anybody tell me who the featured female singer is ? Sounds like Ivo Lani but I can't find anything googling that name.

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2018 8:37 am    

'Iolani is I think the spelling used.

The name is used for a lot of things and there are multiple famous dancers by that name, but I'm guessing Iolani Luahine is the correct one from this booklet:
http://cordinternational.com/cordinternational/PDF-FILES/Apaka_DigiBook.pdf

That was reputed to be mostly from Benny Kalama's recollection. But what is weird, when you google Iolani Luahine, it shows a hula dancer who was actually quite famous and well regarded (as a practitioner of "ancient hula")(I don't know what I'm talking about Smile ).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iolani_Luahine

Nothing about her being a singer, here...but the picture with the band, though, that's got to be the same person!

PS...one of my favorites she sings is Kamalani o Keaukaha, if I spelled that right. Utilizes female falsetto quite nicely. Was maybe more famously done by Lena Machado (with Sol Ho'opi'i backing):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvz5eO1LrOE