The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gibson metal fretboard restoration
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2018 8:21 am    

Anyone know of someone who could restore this fretboard from a 1943 EH-125? It appears to be galvanized metal. Much of the black paint has flaked off. The frets and markers appear to be embossed and raised above the surface ever so slightly.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Mick Hearn

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2018 10:17 am    

I had a similar problem with restoring the control panel on a National D8 console. I was able to find a rattle can of the same colour and gently masked a bulk of the panel that had remained silver. I sprayed covering the whole area and let the paint dry - then very gently due to the raised surface similar to your frets was able to gently scrape the unwanted paint away. It may however be necessary to remove the current paint from between the frets to achieve an even coat of paint. If in doubt, clean up at the 24th fret as most of the paint looks as though it has gone at this point and try this area first.

If you feel really confident and the frets and markers are definitely raised then I would strip all paint Shocked respray the whole lot and then start some gentle scraping.

Last edited by Mick Hearn on 17 Feb 2018 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Ron Simpson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2018 10:17 am    

There are various fretboards available on Ebay. None are exactly the same as Gibson, but some are fairly close. Just be sure the scale length is 22.5 inches.

Ron Simpson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2018 12:07 pm    

Ron Simpson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2018 12:24 pm    

The guitar on the left came to me as a completely stock Ultratone. The guitar on the right came as a body only, without any finish. Finding two seven string Ultratones is nothing short of a miracle.

Ron

Last edited by Ron Simpson on 17 Feb 2018 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ron Simpson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2018 1:12 pm    

Ron Simpson wrote:
The guitar on the left came to me as a completely stock Ultratone. The guitar on the right came as a body only, without any finish. Finding two seven string Ultratones is nothing short of a miracle.

Ron

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2018 1:55 pm    

Ron Simpson wrote:
There are various fretboards available on Ebay. None are exactly the same as Gibson, but some are fairly close. Just be sure the scale length is 22.5 inches.

I purchased a pretty nice rosewood & MOP 22.5 fretboard from the big eBay dealer in Viet Nam a while back. To be usable it needs to be thicknessed to about half its present thickness or less. I'm also suspect that the frets are not spaced properly for a 22.5" scale.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2018 2:05 pm    

Ron Simpson wrote:
The guitar on the left came to me as a completely stock Ultratone. The guitar on the right came as a body only, without any finish. Finding two seven string Ultratones is nothing short of a miracle.Ron

Ultratone 7s don't become available very often. I agree that finding two is astounding. You gotta be doing something right, Ron!

First, I'm gonna try restore the original fretboard. Otherwise, another Sugartone 22.5 will probably go on the EH-125. As you may recall, I used one before on a Ric rehab:

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2018 2:13 pm    

Mick, I like your recommendation of stripping, painting, and scraping. I may just give it a try. At first I thought stripping, painting the black base coat, and then rolling on the silver with an old fashioned ink roller might work. Don't think the markers and frets are elevated quite high enough to be able to do that, however. I think the paint and scrape technique just might be the ticket.

Thanks for your suggestion!

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2018 4:02 pm     A Solution

Hello Jack,
A possible solution to your need is what I have been doing to make fretboards.
First you need a high resolution drawing of the existing fretboard.
If you know how to draw on computer then scan the old fretboard* and in the drawing program you can trace the details.
If you do not know how to use a drawing program then you need to find an artist who does know.
For the areas that are missing or worn out you should be able to use the other side of those fret markers of other fret markers on the board that are good and then mirror image them or copy to where you need them to be.

*Most fretboards will need to have two or three scans to get all and then put the scans together in photoshop to make one continuous fretboards scan.

Once you have the accurate drawing file you can place it on a thumb drive to have a sign shop with laser machine use that to make the fretboard in brushed silver colored metal and black lacquer to fill in those areas that are black after the laser cutting is done.
I doubt they will have the exact same metal, but a very close color will work.
Not all sign shops can do this kind of work so you may need to look around to find a good one that can.
Once you have found a shop you can arrange to send them the drawing file via e-mail or let them transfer it from your thumb drive.

This is the way I've been making fretboards for myself and others on the forum.
I stopped doing them for other people now because there were too many problems that ended up costing me far more money than I made. Now I only do it for my own projects.
Good luck,
Andy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 17 Feb 2018 4:24 pm     The Drawing you need.

Hi Jack,
One more thing is the drawing you'll need will also need to have a "Virtual" image made showing where it will be silver metal and where the Black lacquer will be.

Attached is a drawing of a similar design that I did last year.
If you want, send me an e-mail and I can send this and also a drawing of a fretboard without the position markers.
Most of these drawings are for 10 string steels with 24" and 24.25" scales so would need to be resize for length, nut and bottom width in the drawing program.
To get them to 22.5" scale you will need to re-size the drawing until the length is 11.25" from the nut to the 12th fret.

The forum lowers the resolution of images to save space on the server. If you need these drawing files in full size send me an e-mail and I'll send them to you.
I will be away from my computer for the next couple of days.
Best wishes,
Andy

Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.

Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2018 6:12 pm    

I made some fret boards on the CNC a while back, from white plastic with black plastic surface. The markers are not fancy, but simple. Have some 22.5 inch yet, and they are 2.75 inches wide. When I sell one, I shear the width & taper to what's wanted to fit the guitar etc..

Keith Glendinning

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2018 12:25 am    

I have a wooden fretboard from a 1947 Gibson BR3/4. The position markers are all in good condition, but there are some "dents" on the black where a player has been doing "bar slams" during it's life. If you're interested eMail me and I'll send you some pictures.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2018 8:02 am    

Andy, I can only admire your method. It's obvious your fretboards are works of art. Unfortunately, what you describe is so far out of my wheelhouse as to be a mere fantasy. I don't have any of the equipment you describe, nor do I know of anyone in this remote and sparsely populated alpine valley where I live that does. I can barely navigate my way around this old laptop as it is.

If you ever do decide to produce a batch of fretboards similar to the old Gibson designs, please keep me in mind. I'd purchase a handful of 'em in a heartbeat.

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 20 Feb 2018 12:42 am     Hi Jack

Hi Jack,
PM sent.
Best wishes,
Andy Very Happy

Joe Breeden

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2018 7:44 pm    

Check out Andy Smith under "New Products" section. Joe