The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Not books
Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2018 5:10 pm    

Eddie:

As some Forum members have pointed out, things have really changed--especially since the advent of the internet. Even as recently as 10-15 years ago, I wouldn't have traded my Gruhn's Guide for a new wife and a cow.

Now it sits on my shelf untouched next to dogeared Hemingway novels, which seems oddly fitting somehow.

Without going into too much detail, I would submit that all the books out there are worthless when it comes to putting a value on a steel. And simply looking on eBay or Reverb to see what people are asking isn't much help either (unless you need a good laugh--there are some pretty crazy prices out there that never get realized).

Like most things, the value of an item is entirely dependent upon how much folks are willing to pony up for it. One way to find out what folks are ponying is to search eBay's Advanced tab, where you can see final sale prices.

For example, this afternoon, a beautiful pre-war Rickenbacher Silver Hawaiian sold for $910 + $40 shipping: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1939-100NS-RICKENBACHER-ELECTRO-SILVER-HAWAIIAN-LAP-STEEL-GUITAR/152905546169?hash=item2399e179b9:g:ULkAAOSwU91agfrj

$950 for this guitar is a pretty good deal, although it would have been nice if it had the original case. Still, I almost bought it, even though I probably could have bought two of these for that price 5-6 years ago. Right guys?

See? I'd also try asking your fellow Forum members. The guys here know far more than could ever fit into any book. And they're better lookin'!
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2018 6:14 pm    

I don't know much about the advanced tab, but when I am trying to see what a good price is, I search the completed listings. That tells you if it sold and at what price. And I search this forum to see what things have sold for in the past.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2018 8:32 pm    

Never bothered with the "advanced" menu since almost everything it lists - including the "sold" checkbox - is in the left hand column, accessible in any list of search results.

You can also fine-tune searches to exclude words by preceding them with "-"
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional