The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  E66 vs XR16 pick ups
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2018 9:44 am    

Opinions please on what you think between the two.

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2018 9:57 am    

It depends on the tone you're going for and the guitar you're putting it on.

The E-66 is short for "Emmons 1966." It was designed to emulate a very bright tone with a lot of bite. If you're always looking for more high-end in your rig and you want a humbucker, you probably couldn't find a better choice. I think it's the most treble-heavy humbucker I've ever heard on a PSG. Works well on darker sounding woody guitars that need more sparkle, and works well on C6.

If, on the other hand, your rig suffers from grating, ice pick high end, this is not the pickup for you because it's tonally pretty extreme. Some people find them painful in a typical modern all-pull E9 guitar. Go with the XR16, which is a great, smooth, balanced all around pickup.

Norbert Dengler

germany
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2018 11:31 am    

exactly what tucker says. couldn't make a better description. I use the E 66 again on my main guitar for it delivers a bright, cutting sound. not everybody's favorite, but I like it Smile

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2018 1:13 pm    

I had an E66 in a Carter and I took it out because I found it shrill and dry sounding. I tried many pickups in that guitar and found the best sound was from a Truetone but I couldn't tolerate the hum. The LXR16 was what I settled on. It's well balanced and musical sounding.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2018 1:51 pm    

This discussion is only meaningful as it pertains to specific guitars. My experience with my Carter is totally consistent with Bill's. (I've got a pickup that I like in my Sho-Bud that I hated in the Carter, a BL 912---there is a very real interaction between steel and pickup).

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2018 2:08 am    

I will say in general that the E66 reacts more with the upper mid and high end where as XR 16 will react alot less with the highs and more with the mids. Jon is right though in saying that these will act diferently with diferent guitars which makes perfect sense since every guitar is built diferently. Which guitar would they be going in?

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2018 6:02 am    

In 2000 I ordered a Carter D-10 8+5 I received an email asking me what sound was I going for?to which I replied "Somewhere between Tom Brumley with Rick Nelson,And Lloyd Green on Don Williams recordings,Then I received another email saying that they have exactly the pickups that I will need ...So the guitar showed up With E66 on both necks Hated them shrill ice pick sounding,I wound up replacing them with LXR-16 which were much better,I eventually started hating the Carter guitar and sold it.Now my favorite pickup is the "Telonics 206"
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2018 7:03 am    

Thanks pals, my road guitar is a Mullen....I have used E66 for 20 years in all my guitars but was thinking about changing it up to a 705 or XR16 just out of curiosity really. No single coils I’m too anal about room noise and I don’t like gates.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2018 3:36 pm    

I had an E66 on the C6th neck of my welded frame MCI which was very good - but it was way too bright for E9th for my tastes -- the 10-1 did the job on E9th for me nicely.

I think the XR-16 would be pretty good on almost any guitar if you were looking for something which was both warm and had good string separation - without shrill highs.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2018 6:56 am    

Whats the ohms on an XR16? Whats the ohms on a 710 and a 705? please!
Thank you. Smile

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2018 8:51 am    

Someone more knowledgeable will hopefully chime in, but I'm pretty sure that Bill Lawrence didn't describe the pickups he designed in terms of ohms. He used different parameters or something. Now that you've raised the question I myself am looking forward to knowing more on that subject.

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2018 4:53 pm    

XR-16 Is 28.5 K ohms DC

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2018 3:41 am     Psg

Never have cared for the E66. The XR-16 is a pu I've had on several guitars and always liked it. My favorite pu is the GL 10-1 or the GL-EON. I've also used the BL-710's which I like and even used the BL-605(sidewinder) before.

Norbert Dengler

germany
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2018 3:56 am    

carter guitars used to have great sound samples of different pick-ups on their website.
some great player did "I just destroyed the world..." and you could really hear the differences...
that made my choice for the E 66, for it had the clearest tone to me in comparison...

it can be shrill I admit, but I rather try to tame the highs than desperately dial them in when they're not there.
its like playing a telecaster, not easy but somehow great.