The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Good C6 Pedal Steel Solos To Transcribe
Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2018 3:32 am    

There was a post in the Non Pedal section asking about which songs played in the C6 tuning that would be good to transcribe. Jim Cohen started to reply and then realized it was the Non Pedal section. I'm curious as to what solos Jim Cohen, and other accomplished Pedal Steel C6 players, would suggest to transcribe. It would be cool to see Western Swing, Pop and Jazz songs, especially ones that have a lot of standard licks in them that can be used in other tunes.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2018 8:09 pm    

I'm not exactly an accomplished C6 player, but I recently worked out the solo to At E's which was great for my education in many ways. playing it completely up to speed is another story, but even Buddy slowed it down a bit when he played it live! Winking

I recently purchased Steve Palousek's C6 instruction DVDs which I highly recommend. he plays great heads and solos for Take The A Train, Right Or Wrong, All the Things You Are and more, explaining every note he plays.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2018 8:18 pm    

Bob, the one I had mistakenly posted in the non-pedal section was Weldon Myrick's solo on Right or Wrong.

I'm sure Steve Palousek's material is great but I'll make a pitch for trying to work it out yourself (as implied by your request for material to transcribe. You'll learn a lot more by doing so, even if you have to slow it down to learn it. I still do that myself when things go by me too fast.

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2018 3:20 am    

I'm not absolutely positive it is C6 but, David Allen Coe put a western swing treatment on his version of Fraulein that has a really good steel part and solo in it. It Might be Weldon playing it - he used Weldon and Pete Drake (since he worked for him in the beginning) a lot.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2018 3:35 am    

Very much like the E9th, I would concur with Jim, the C6th has right in front of us 3 or 4 really flexible pockets which a TAB may not reveal. Of course the tab will PLAY thru the pockets but if you are not paying attention to what the TABS are showing, the big picture is missed.

I am a huge advocate of TABS as part of the learning process but I am also a huge advocate of identifying exactly what the tabs are showing us, because it's not just about the licks or the songs, it's a road map.

There are plenty of excellent tab programs/ DVD's out there, they are great starting points .

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website