The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rickenbacker D8 Electronics questions
Victor Skidanenko

San Jose, CA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2018 11:42 pm    

Hello all!

I have got a Rickenbacker Dual 8 console from the 50s. Both pickups are wired to a master tone and volume control. Each pickup has its own on/off switch.

I noticed the pickup on the lower neck is significantly louder than the upper neck. I tried to raise the pickup on the higher neck but it made little difference. Does anyone have any idea how to get more output from the pickup? It is a Rickenbacker horseshoe style pickup.

Also when I switch off one of the necks, the neck that is currently on gets a good volume boost. If I have both necks on, there is less output overall. Is that normal with dual neck steels?

Thanks in advance!

Blake Hawkins

Florida
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2018 12:42 am    

Less output with both necks on is normal for double neck steels.
Sorry, I can't help with the Rickenbacker pickups.

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2018 2:52 am    

I had a Rickenbacker D8 console that had the same problem. On mine, the outside neck was noticeably less loud than the inside neck and somewhat tinny sounding. When I measured the resistance of the coil, the outside neck was completely open. Never registered on the meter, but it still played. Apparently, sometimes when a coil opens up, a capacitive connection between the open wires can still pass a signal, but just like in a tone control, it only passes the higher frequencies. I've heard of pickups with this condition referred to as "Zombie" pickups.

A quick trip to Tom Brantley for a rewind, and it was good as new. Both necks played loud and strong and with full frequency response.

Dave