John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2018 11:42 am    

Hi John-

Please check your PMs.

Thanks!

John

John Fauver wrote:
Can anyone point me in the right direction for the Facebook forum? Much appreciated!

Bryan Daste

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2018 8:53 pm    

Took the plunge today! Already rethinking a few things I’ve been doing. Definitely getting the wheels turning!

I’d like to check out the private study forum; can someone point me in the right direction?

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2018 10:49 pm    

Bryan-

Please check your PMs.

Thanks,

John

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2018 8:30 pm    

The Paul Franklin Method is the most comprehensive study in and of pedal steel that has ever been available. It is literally an online university. To be able to study Paul’s mastery in such a frank and detailed way is amazing. Paul provides the gateway and insight to so much information in playing and about the instruments capabilities, whether a new player or professional. I only wish I’d had this available to me so many years ago. I don’t say this because of my friendship with Paul. I say it because it’s true.😊Bravo!

Ron Scott

Michigan
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2018 9:10 am    

I agree with Tommy for sure. It is a great insight of his method of learning. Been playing for years and still picking up some great idea's from him. Thanks Paul.

Johnny Howington

Lillington, NC
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2018 4:57 am     private study forum

Can someone point me in the right direction as well to the private or facebook forum? Much appreciated!!

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2018 10:01 am    

Hi Johnny-

PM sent

Gary Cooper

Atmore, Alabama
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2018 11:01 am     Question

Why is the referred to Facebook page private?

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2018 1:22 pm    

Hi Gary-

The Paul Franklin Method Facebook Group is a place for enrolled students to talk to each other and Paul about the Course. One of the many benefits of being enrolled is direct access to Paul to discuss and expand on Course Lessons, share videos of your progress and suggest future lessons. We've had great online discussions on Pick Blocking, Tuning, Harmonized Scale usage, and many other Course topics.

Paul is on the Group often, answering questions and offering advice and encouragement. He has e-mailed and even called a few players on the phone when needed. Bruce Bouton and Tommy White are also in the Group, and we all look forward to their contributions and insights!

The confusion on e-mail addresses stems from Facebook's policy that you can only be invited to a Group using your Facebook-associated e-mail address. Some folks used a different address to enroll, so they did not get the invitation, although it was sent several times.

Enrolled students contacting us at info@modernmusicmasters.com with their Facebook-linked e-mail will get an invitation sent ASAP.

We do have a public Facebook page as well:

https://www.facebook.com/thepaulfranklinmethod/

Thanks,

John

Last edited by John Spaulding on 15 Mar 2018 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2018 1:28 pm    

I'd like to add to John's post above, that this private FB group page is an extremely valuable add-on to the course enrollment, as you have the opportunity to interact directly with Paul (and others), posting questions about the course material, getting direct responses, hearing how others are handling it, etc. It really supercharges your enrollment in the course.

Bryan Daste

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2018 10:44 pm    

Definitely a big bonus to the course!

Ian Kerr

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2018 11:50 pm    

Hi John,
Can you tell me how to access the private study group for the PFM.All I get is the public one .
Thanks.

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2018 12:17 pm    

Most students used the same email for enrolling in the course as they used when they created their Facebook account, but some others did not, so those folks might not have gotten the invitation and the several reminders we have sent.

If you did NOT receive your invitation to The Paul Franklin Method Facebook Group, it may be because you used a different email addresses to enroll in the course than you did to create your Facebook page.

Please check on this and then send the e-mail address associated with your own Facebook account to: info@modernmusicmasters.com. We will then send you an invitation.

If you do not know or remember what email is associated with your Facebook account, here is how Facebook says you can find that information out:

1. On your Facebook page, go to Timeline and click on 'About'.

2. Scroll down and click on 'Contact and Basic Info' on the left side of your page.

3. Hover your mouse over the 'Email' line and then click on "Edit".

4. You will now be able to see your Facebook email.

5. The Primary e-mail listed is what Facebook needs to see to send you the invitation. Please send us that and we will send an invitation ASAP.

Thanks!

- The Paul Franklin Method team

Gary Thorsen

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2018 6:22 am    

Tommy White wrote:
The Paul Franklin Method is the most comprehensive study in and of pedal steel that has ever been available. It is literally an online university. To be able to study Paul’s mastery in such a frank and detailed way is amazing. Paul provides the gateway and insight to so much information in playing and about the instruments capabilities, whether a new player or professional. I only wish I’d had this available to me so many years ago. I don’t say this because of my friendship with Paul. I say it because it’s true.😊Bravo!

I second Tommy's sentiments wholeheartedly.

After two plus months here is my assessment. The whole-tone exercises, vibrato and bar technique studies in the course are a key element to good playing. The course goes far beyond those "little" things but attention to little details add up to become a very BIG thing that all good players work very hard to achieve.

Paul lays the path out there for us AND gives us the most direct route. He shows us how to put our own sound together and develop our own style. His attention to detail has lead me to refocus my energy and to work on things that really make a difference. Since I started the course January 1st I hear a difference in my playing, both in sessions and on stage, which is really pleasing. Bottom line, the course has helped me make noticeable improvements. I get excited about playing and practicing (the right stuff) every day...that is LARGE. If that's not enough, the access to Paul's advice on the fb group page is going way above and beyond the call of duty IMO, more so than any course I am aware of. Thanks again Paul!!

Doug Cassell

San Antonio Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2018 6:57 am     Updates?

Now that this has been out for a few months, I'm interested in hearing from any beginners that took the plunge. Are you still motivated to stick with it? Has it been worth the large initial investment, or have you started to lose interest? Any other comments?

Thanks

Bryan Daste

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2018 9:16 pm    

I wouldn't call myself a beginner player, but I can definitely say that the course is well worth the investment. I've found a few things already that I really want to dig in to, including changing my right hand technique based on Paul's recommendations. I'm running those particular right hand exercises multiple times a day, and I'm seeing steady improvement in both speed and accuracy.

I'll also watch videos on other topics and see which ones grab me on a particular day. I am trying to resist the urge to go through the course too quickly, risking missing important points! New videos are added every week or so.

I will say that the Method has really lit a fire under me as a player. Paul's enthusiasm and deep knowledge and love for the instrument come through loud and clear on the videos, and the Facebook group gives students a chance to interact with him and each other. Paul is very active in the group on a regular basis, and the chance to ask detailed questions or even post videos of my playing for feedback is really something else.

In summary...go for it! You will not be sorry!

Doug Cassell

San Antonio Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2018 4:13 am    

Bryan Daste wrote:
I wouldn't call myself a beginner player, but I can definitely say that the course is well worth the investment. I've found a few things already that I really want to dig in to, including changing my right hand technique based on Paul's recommendations. I'm running those particular right hand exercises multiple times a day, and I'm seeing steady improvement in both speed and accuracy.

I'll also watch videos on other topics and see which ones grab me on a particular day. I am trying to resist the urge to go through the course too quickly, risking missing important points! New videos are added every week or so.

I will say that the Method has really lit a fire under me as a player. Paul's enthusiasm and deep knowledge and love for the instrument come through loud and clear on the videos, and the Facebook group gives students a chance to interact with him and each other. Paul is very active in the group on a regular basis, and the chance to ask detailed questions or even post videos of my playing for feedback is really something else.

In summary...go for it! You will not be sorry!

Thanks Bryan! Good info.

Matthew Dyer

San Francisco, CA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2018 10:31 am    

I'm was an absolute beginner when I signed up for the PFM. I've been considering taking the plunge for years, and seeing that something like the PFM was available gave me the final nudge I needed. I signed up right after I purchased a pedal steel from a fellow forum member. I was watching videos and making notes for a week before my steel even arrived.

Is the Paul Franklin Method worth it for someone just starting out? 100% yes. It sets you in the right direction and gives you so many tools to help yourself.

That said, you do need to be a self-directed learner to get the most out of this. It's not structured in a way that says "do these exercises and then come back and see me next week" like a lesson with a teacher might be. Instead of lessons, think of this as the greatest reference library of pedal steel guitar information ever made. There are plenty of great lesson elements here too! I don't want to sell that short. Licks and intros with tab and explanations of how to play them are in here, but that's not where I really find the value in the PFM. Paul shows off the basic elements of good steel playing and encourages you to apply them yourself. The course is at least as much about making yourself a good musician as it is about playing the steel.

At the end of the day, this is a huge toolbox and I've found it enormously helpful as I learn. You still need to put in the sweat and effort to learn, but with a coach like Paul Franklin in your corner it gets so much easier. (The private Facebook group mentioned is also great. People help each other out and Paul is around all the time to answer questions and even just post some of his thoughts on playing.)

Like I said at the beginning, I started learning steel with this as my primary resource. I did one in-person lesson (with Austin forumite Bob Hoffnar, who was great!) and he helped me with advice about how I was holding my hands and body. Getting some in-person correction on my technique was important for me. I'm sure I'll schedule another lesson with Bob again when I have some more questions and need some feedback.

If you've already made the decision to invest in a pedal steel, go all out and invest in your education for it as well. If you've committed to learning how to play, the Paul Franklin Method is going to give you the tools to you need to get there. It's only a bad investment if you're not going to invest the time it takes to apply the knowledge the PFM provides.

Doug Cassell

San Antonio Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2018 11:51 am    

Matthew Dyer wrote:
I'm was an absolute beginner when I signed up for the PFM. I've been considering taking the plunge for years, and seeing that something like the PFM was available gave me the final nudge I needed. I signed up right after I purchased a pedal steel from a fellow forum member. I was watching videos and making notes for a week before my steel even arrived.

Is the Paul Franklin Method worth it for someone just starting out? 100% yes. It sets you in the right direction and gives you so many tools to help yourself.

That said, you do need to be a self-directed learner to get the most out of this. It's not structured in a way that says "do these exercises and then come back and see me next week" like a lesson with a teacher might be. Instead of lessons, think of this as the greatest reference library of pedal steel guitar information ever made. There are plenty of great lesson elements here too! I don't want to sell that short. Licks and intros with tab and explanations of how to play them are in here, but that's not where I really find the value in the PFM. Paul shows off the basic elements of good steel playing and encourages you to apply them yourself. The course is at least as much about making yourself a good musician as it is about playing the steel.

At the end of the day, this is a huge toolbox and I've found it enormously helpful as I learn. You still need to put in the sweat and effort to learn, but with a coach like Paul Franklin in your corner it gets so much easier. (The private Facebook group mentioned is also great. People help each other out and Paul is around all the time to answer questions and even just post some of his thoughts on playing.)

Like I said at the beginning, I started learning steel with this as my primary resource. I did one in-person lesson (with Austin forumite Bob Hoffnar, who was great!) and he helped me with advice about how I was holding my hands and body. Getting some in-person correction on my technique was important for me. I'm sure I'll schedule another lesson with Bob again when I have some more questions and need some feedback.

If you've already made the decision to invest in a pedal steel, go all out and invest in your education for it as well. If you've committed to learning how to play, the Paul Franklin Method is going to give you the tools to you need to get there. It's only a bad investment if you're not going to invest the time it takes to apply the knowledge the PFM provides.

Great insight, thanks Matthew

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2018 5:21 pm    

I'll post from the opposite perspective from Doug. With 40+ years playing I can honestly say that from even the most basic of lessons/ concepts in the program I've gleaned something worthwhile. The greatest thing is it's an ever-expanding resource, plus Paul has offered a lot of great stuff with the access to the group facebook page. Worth every penny.

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2018 2:11 pm    

If anyone is having reservations about signing up for the Franklin Method, all they need to do is read this thread....

I myself am DEFINITELY signing up within the coming days, but I'm excited so I'm reading threads like this, as well as Paul's blog.

To see such talented guys such as John McClung, Bruce Bouton, Tommy White and others not only endorse this course, but share the fact they have actually signed up for the course as well is a very telling thing.

If players with such knowledge can put pride aside and sign up for a course AND Sshare the fact they are STILL learning at this stage in their career should be evidence to anyone that this course is packed with information and well worth the cost!

I suspect most any player will tell you, you are never too good to continue to learn! From what I can see, the Paul Franklin Method is the closest thing to sitting down at a private lesson with Paul you can get! By the quality of the product and the way Paul CONTINUES to update courses and answer questions of students, you can really feel his desire to help players of all levels become the beat they can..... and from what I gather, Paul isnt trying to make a bunch of carbon copies of himself, but rather he is encouraging you to come into your own! I'm very grateful for this opportunity!!!