The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Seats
Joe DePascale

New York, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2018 4:38 am    

Good morning everyone - I’m wondering what you people are using for comfortable seating. I have a job related back injury ( 6 crushed discs ) , and after awhile practice sessions turn into torture and numbness in my legs. I’ve been using a regular chair with a folded blanket to sit on with a pillow behind me for some back support.
Does anyone have any suggestions or use any specific chair that offers some comfort and support ?
Thanks for any help

Bobby Snell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2018 5:24 am    

Drum throne (Rok and Sok) with a backrest. There's a pneumatic version that has some give. I prefer the throne to a regular steel seat because it is adjustable.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2018 5:27 am    

The "steel guitar" seats are the best. There are two (major) builders of seats, "Steeler's Choice" and "Steel Seat".

I have a Steeler's Choice "sidekick" with back.

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2018 5:30 am    

Joe, I've been using "pack seats" for forty years and there's no substitute for having a well designed and built seat. Like shoes or clothing it has to fit you. I've had ShoBud seats and currently use a Steeler's Choice and a Steel Seat Lite. Your folding chair is probably too low. I find a 20-21" height right for me at 5'10". And whether you use a piano bench, folding chair or custom made pack seat, it's important to have a consistent position. Good posture and centered at the 15th fret.

Joe DePascale

New York, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2018 5:33 am    

All good info and suggestions thank you all for the help

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2018 10:10 pm     The Seat.

Got this seat in ‘99, put a back on it in ‘09 and it’s very comfortable for my screwed and barred together spine. The back is made from my knee brace I had to wear after a severe truck accident. I can set on this seat 4hrs. a night without any problems. Hopefully you’ll find a comfortable seat for yourself.

Joe DePascale

New York, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2018 6:20 am    

Bill that seat looks very comfortable. I’m going to look into a better chair because what I’m using now is not working out. I’m going to order one from the suggestions above and try to make practice sessions more pleasureable .
Thanks for posting that picture