The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  "HeartachesByTheNumber"-MartinaMcBride-PaulFranklin Break
Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2018 11:54 am    

With apologies to Paul Franklin, here's my best shot at his break on Martina McBride's live version of "Heartaches By The Number". Comments and corrections always welcome. Here it is on youtube, break is at 1:15.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SatL8-ohp6g

Paul Stauskas

DFW, TX
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2018 12:52 pm    

I saw this posted on the Facebook group and made a quick video. https://youtu.be/aPGSlhnm1HY

I think it is close to yours Jeff.

Jeff Garden

Post  Posted 4 Feb 2018 1:11 pm    

Thanks, Paul. We got on that in a hurry today - tab and video complete in about 3 hours!

Randy Schneider

SW New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2018 1:39 pm    

I suppose you guys teaching me how to play Stuart Duncan's fiddle solo is out of the question...

Jeff Garden

Post  Posted 4 Feb 2018 2:16 pm    

I was waiting on a guitar repair at the local music shop and must have looked bored. A salesman said "I know you play guitar and pedal steel but have you ever considered getting a fiddle?" I should have said "absolutely not!" but somehow let myself get talked into trying one out for the first time in my life. I knew it was going to be a mistake - what was I thinking? I couldn't have made a worse noise if I strangled a cat. On the plus side they probably wanted me to stop annoying the other customers and my truss rod adjustment was ready almost instantly!

Randy Schneider

SW New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2018 2:39 pm    

I do have a fiddle and tried to learn to play it for a while (and Stuart Duncan was one of my 'inspirations'). Let's just say I never got very good at it.

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2018 5:02 am    

Jeff, you have the coolest tabs in terms of sound accuracy and graphic presentation. They are printed out in your own style rather than the usual computer-style numbers. Having trouble getting YouTube. Time to call the computer guy.

Paul, I could not get the sound to,come in, Is the address you have there correct? No matter as I have the original CD which has this cut. Thanks, guys,

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2021 8:15 am    

Jeff, you saved me this weekend! We are doing this version in a show and I wasn't quite getting it but found this the other day and needless to say, it came in handy and filled the gaps for me.

Your work as always is appreciated.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2021 8:40 am    

Well that one will sure test your upper register bar accuracy. Another testament to Paul Franklin’s mastery. I know its a straight ahead classic that he has probably played a jillion times, but every note is intonated perfectly, not to mention tone, attack, and general feel for the tune - almost as if he still really cares about how he plays it every time...

Nice job on the tab. I’m a few years away from nailing something like that on the spot, but you gave us a great little practice ditty.

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2021 9:00 am    

Yeah it does...... im no Paul by any means, but im a student of his and not only is he an amazing player but he is a great teacher and wonderful person.

I always use a bit more vibrato up high... seems to help small intonation issues. Also playing life helps... it cant be analyzed as closely, lol