The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Latest Youtube Downloading Advice?
Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2018 2:27 pm    

As many of you guys know, I enjoy tabbing out steel parts from CD's, albums and youtube videos. I'm presently using Windows 10 and Firefox on my laptop. What is your up to the minute advice for software to safely download youtube videos to work on? Thanks in advance. - jeff

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2018 2:44 pm    

http://www.cys-audiovideodownloader.com/

I am using Complete Youtube Saver from the above link.

I use Win 10 and Palemoon--a Firefox derivative.

Been using it for 6 months without issues.

When you go to a youtube vid, a dropdown arrow tab will appear in the upper left side of Firefox---next to the address bar. Poke the arrow and choose how you want to download. I typically select the first option---MP4 HD 720.

When not at youtube. you won't see that arrow and tab at all.

Allan Haley

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2018 3:06 pm    

I use Keepvid.com

The free site gives DL quality options.

Carl Kilmer

East Central, Illinois
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2018 4:15 am    

I've been using Youtube Downloader for years
http://www.youtubedownloaderhd.com/download.html

Steve Duke

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2018 6:13 pm     Youtube Downloader HD

Hey Carl: I downloaded the link you posted but when I right click on a youtube video to copy and then paste in the downloader app nothing happens. I get a message that says this is not a video!!!!!Any help? Thanks

Carl Kilmer

East Central, Illinois
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2018 8:37 pm    

Hi Steve, you have to go the https: line at the top of the page and copy
the URL and it and paste it on the line of YouTube Downloader program.
Copy this whole line and paste in the program and it should work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JdHDJRTaDk

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2018 9:40 am    

I've been using Wondershare All My Tube for years. Downloads videos from most sites. It gives you a choice of what format you want the video saved in (Mp4, WMA...) . It also gives you an audio only file (Mp3 and others). Not free, but is the best program I have tried for downloading.

Steve Duke

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2018 12:07 pm    

Carl: I copied and pasted the link you provided and for some reason it will not paste. I'm running XP, you think that is the problem? Also, what setting from the drop down menu should I select. thanks

Steve Duke

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2018 1:18 pm    

Hey Carl: I solved my problem. I have webroot security software and it was blocking the download. Once I allowed the download it works perfect. Thanks for the help. Where in Illinois are you. I'm in the Bootheel maybe not far away. B safe and thanks again.

Don Poland

Hanover, PA.
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2018 6:51 pm    

Jeff, if you just need the audio and not the video, then Media Human works great. Just copy the utube link and paste it. Smaller files with just audio.

Jeff Garden

Post  Posted 4 Feb 2018 3:47 am    

Thank you for all of the great suggestions, guys. It's nice to know I have so many safe choices. I somehow contracted a ransom virus several years ago and lost all of my files so I've been a little hesitant of downloading possibly malicious software.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2018 9:58 am    

Jeff Garden wrote:
Thank you for all of the great suggestions, guys. It's nice to know I have so many safe choices. I somehow contracted a ransom virus several years ago and lost all of my files so I've been a little hesitant of downloading possibly malicious software.

Geek Speak Alert!

There is always a risk of infection in the downloads delivery chain. But, that risk is magnified by magnitudes when you download files from free download websites. They are valuable targets for malware authors and purveyors. Sometimes legitimate files are altered by miscreants. Other times, malicious actors buy out legitimate developers' work and release an infected update (like happens to WordPress themes and plug-ins).

Another route to infection is when malicious actors are willing to pay out of pocket to have ads delivered via ad networks. They begin their campaign with benign legitimate advertisements, but later on switch to rigged ads containing invisible redirects to exploit attack kits (hidden iframes).

There are a few ways to avoid getting infected by downloads. One is to not download anything other than operating system updates. Another is to basically disconnect from the Internet and operate offline (recording, artwork, remote milling machine operation, CGI movie editing, photo studio editing). In these modes you would only be at risk from software you install that has been tampered with, like sometimes happens with USB thumb drives infected at the factory.

For the rest of us who are online and do download from various sources, the risk is high and our computers need to be protected by anti-malware programs and by the use of limited privileges user accounts. Unsurprisingly, too many Windows computer users don't know about computer privileges, or refuse to operate as less privileged users. Operating as an Administrator leaves the entire operating system vulnerable to complete compromise if malware slips past their defenses. Learn more by reading this blog article I published years ago about how operating with reduced user privileges can stop up to 92% of malware.

People running older operating systems have less security than those running supported systems. Not only are you getting fewer operating system and 3rd party software security patches, but, anti-virus companies are always re-evaluating and dropping their support for outdated operating systems, leaving many computers basically unprotected from new and altered threats.

There are ways to function in this digital age and avoid viruses and ransomware. You need smarts and up to date software, including that which you rely upon to run the machine and guard against malware.

In the event something bad does slip past your defenses, having fresh file and image backups can restore altered files and save you time and money.

I am available to consult with about computer and website security matters. You can use the SGF's PM system, email, or my contact form on wizcrafts.net.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Jeff Garden

Post  Posted 4 Feb 2018 11:11 am    

Thank you very much for your very detailed cautions and words of advice, Wiz. There are times I think I've become the person I worried about when my parents tried to deal with technology. Any thoughts on a site like this?
www.4kdownload.com

James Quillian

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2018 2:19 pm    

I do it by using a $3 usb soundcard to play youtube. Then I just use the $3 soundcard as the recording input for my recording software. (Mixcraft 4) I listen to it through the onboard soundcard. I have found that some videos are fixed so mp3s can't be downloaded. This way it never fails.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2018 9:11 am    

James Quillian wrote:
I do it by using a $3 usb soundcard to play youtube. Then I just use the $3 soundcard as the recording input for my recording software. (Mixcraft 4) I listen to it through the onboard soundcard. I have found that some videos are fixed so mp3s can't be downloaded. This way it never fails.

I think he is interested in the video, not just audio.

Harry Dove

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2018 8:25 pm    

YouTube Downloader HD works perfectly and you can get it from several reliable sources.