The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Newbie footwear/guitar height question
Andy Henriksen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2018 6:06 am    

I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times, but my brief forum search didn't quite yield what I was looking for...

So I'm a couple months into PSG. I have a new stage one. I am a 6'0" guy, and I find that only when I wear thin-soled slippers, can I fit my right leg between the volume pedal and the apron, and even then it feels like a few microns of clearance. Oh, and that's with the guitar tipped forward quite a bit already.

My pedal is a standard Goodrich (not low profile), and I'm not particularly interested in replacing it (but you can try to convince me!)

I am thinking that I really would like to be able to play with whatever shoes or boots happen to be on my feet, rather than having to have a dedicated pair of "steel shoes." If I ever get good enough to play in public, I'd definitely NOT want to wear slippers! Shocked

So, given this, should I get some parts from the hardware store to raise the guitar an inch? (I have reviewed those threads!)

I do have to say, though that coming from lap steel, where things sit...well, much closer to my lap, the idea of pushing the PSG deck up even higher is a bit of a bummer. I like having my forearms as close to horizontal as possible. I guess it's all a tradeoff.

Anyway, I guess my question comes down to should I set up the PSG for my thickest soles (sneakers, probably, or work boots), or am I really better off finding some cool looking, thin-soled boots and just accepting that I need to wear those always?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2018 6:23 am    

If I were you, I'd just raise it an inch. The logic being that the more comfortable you feel behind it, the more likely you will be to play it. A one inch raise should not affect your forearm angle that much.

Don Walworth

Gilmer, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2018 6:47 am    

Andy:
I have a Stage One also - I'm 6'2 and found I needed to lift it some as you have noted. I have 3/4" extensions on each pedal rod plus a pc. of electrical conduit 3/4" long to raise the pedal bar. If you would like to give this fix a try, shoot me your mailing address as I have extra parts I can send you.

Shoes. I found (thanks to a Forum Member) that either shoes designed for Skate Board use or Marine Deck Shoes work really well. From heal to toe - is flat on the bottom - and non-slip. My heel stays in place a lot better. I found the Skate Board shoe only comes in one width, but the Deck Shoe has different widths and that is what I have. Another advantage to these is some come in really cool colors - mainly the Skate Board models!

Don

Last edited by Don Walworth on 14 Feb 2018 4:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Andy Henriksen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2018 7:00 am    

Don, you rock! Very Happy Check your PMs.

Allan Haley

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2018 7:11 am    

Thanks, Don. I’m still figuring out shoes for PSG. I’ll check out your recommendations.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2018 8:43 am    

Just some alternate advice for anyone else who reads this thread - Flat bottom sneakers or moccasins or slippers were out of the question for me.

I am 6’3. I ordered the 2” lift kit for my Stage One and an adjustable keyboard bench from Guitar Center, which I have set up at 22”. Tried playing with Skechers on my feet, and was wondering if everyone had to keep their left foot arched back as far as mine to keep it off the pedals. And forget a regular Goodrich volume pedal, there was no way I was going to get control of that. Tried on regular tennis shoes, leather slippers - even just socks like some on the Forum have suggested.

Anyway, I put on my pointed toe Justin boots with a walking heel, and voila! Both feet were much more comfortable and my legs still fit under the console with clearance. And after ordering a lower profile volume pedal, the foot ergonomics were pretty much optimal, and my forearms are still pretty much parallel to the floor. The added bonus is I think the boots look pretty cool.

As an experiment, I took the lift kit off one day and sat in a regualer chair and put on some tennis shoes. It was laughable! No wonder I shied away from this instrument for so long. Playing a regular set up would be impossible for me.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2018 8:55 am    

I wear Minnetonka moccasins.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2018 9:19 am    

Jack,
Genuine Woose? Very Happy

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2018 7:34 pm     Foot Ware

I don't ware shoes when I play. Play in my socks. Never could play with shoes on. I need to feel the pedals. Been playing this way for 35 years now. No problem with any pedals this way even using pedals 5, 6, 7, or 8. My Christmas gift from my fellow band members was a pair of socks that look like cowboy boots!!!! We all got a big laugh out of it. You would not believe the comments I got over my white tube socks all these years.

Last edited by Kevin Fix on 14 Feb 2018 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Don Walworth

Gilmer, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2018 4:34 am     Parts

Andy:

Wife is going to town this morning and the parts for your steel will be in the mail.

Nice to see constructive comments re: shoes..

Seats. One seat I really liked was the player that had a rather old piano stool - refinished it and looks really neat! Fully height adjustable for proper fit at the guitar.

Band was playing at the Brew Pub I work at (yes, at 82 still working: Brewer*) - fellow playing lead guitar and would sit at his steel for a few tunes. This is his seat - plenty of room for his tuner, etc. Just another idea for an adjustable seat. In his case, made it easy to get up/down to play his 6 string.

https://www.harborfreight.com/pneumatic-adjustable-roller-seat-46319.html

*Brewer? Yep - any steel player in the area (Pittsburg, TX) come on in and your first brew is on me.

Don

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2018 8:28 am    

It's been cowboy boots for me since the mid 70's. I can play in tennis shoes if I have to.

Andy Henriksen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2018 8:35 am    

Thanks, again Don. I'm really excited to see how the mod changes the ergonomics of my set-up.

I have an on-stage adjustable KB seat, and I think I have it optimized for my size - keeping me up high but not pushing my thighs up into the guitar.

Andy Henriksen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2018 12:56 pm    

Just to put a bow on this thread, I got the parts in the mail yesterday from Don, and WOW! What a difference 3/4” makes! I played in my street shoes yesterday for the first time and it was great! Thanks so much, again Don!

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2018 3:14 pm    

Jack Hanson wrote:
I wear Minnetonka moccasins.

Me too.

Mark Weese

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2018 6:49 pm     Shoes...

Ok... all good info! Thanks!

You guys are going to find out sooner or later that I try to find some humor in everything (well, almost everything!)

Anyway... as y'all are talking about what shoes to weare while playing, I was imagining wearing bunny slippers! With big non-threatining floppy ears!

I think you'd be the popular musician at the gig!

bbbbbwwwwwaaaaaaa <---- that's a big loud laugh.

Jeffrey McFadden

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2018 5:51 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
It's been cowboy boots for me since the mid 70's. I can play in tennis shoes if I have to.

I have lived for years in, not cowboy boots but pull-on boots, square or round toed. So I expected to play PSG in them. I found I couldn't rock my ankle side to side to select between A & B pedals. Do your boots inhibit your ankle movement? (I imagine probably not.) Did they when you were a beginner?

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2018 8:06 am    

Jeffrey McFadden wrote:
Richard Sinkler wrote:

I have lived for years in, not cowboy boots but pull-on boots, square or round toed. So I expected to play PSG in them. I found I couldn't rock my ankle side to side to select between A & B pedals. Do your boots inhibit your ankle movement? (I imagine probably not.) Did they when you were a beginner?

No, my boots don't cause any issues at all.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2018 8:59 am    

Jeffrey McFadden wrote:
Richard Sinkler wrote:

I am a beginner. I wear pointed toe western boots with soft leather shaft. No issues here either, except now anything else feels weird.