The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dobro/National Electric Hawaiian Guitars
Peter Funk

Germany
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2018 6:18 am    

I've been offered a pair of electric Hawaiian Guitars made of aluminum from around 1936. One is a National, the other is a Dobro. They look quite similar. Since they don't have any tone knobs (only volume), I'm wondering, what they sound like? Any experiences?

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2018 7:17 am    

The National and Dobro versions (and the Supro and Bronson versions) have the same pickup. In practical terms, the only difference is in the shape of the body and the placement of the controls. Later versions also had tone controls and some other changes, but if you're comparing two early ones, we can ignore that.

Generally, they have lots of sustain and a warm, mellow voice. They're not twangy or raw, but smooth and full. There is some variability, possibly due to the way the magnets have aged and possibly due to inconsistencies in the winding (National-Dobro built from the "eh... looks close enough" school of quality control). The output is what I'd call moderate, and there's pretty good hum rejection due to the shielding of the body.

James Hartman

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2018 7:28 am    

Basically the same instrument ('30s Supro) demonstrated: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6cu_w--Is0

Michael Greer

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2018 11:44 am    

Peter

I align with what Noah has said in terms of how the National/Dobro cast guitars sound......moderate output is an accurate characterization.

Mind you, I have never had any "work " done to the pickup on mine to see if that changes or enhances output.

I do however give the National cast guitars "TOP OF THE CLASS " rating for style....to my eyes they are a piece of art and a cool looking guitar.

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2018 5:44 pm    

If the pickup doesn't have much output, you can have the magnet re-magnitized...there are threads on where to get that done...

Lee Holliday

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2018 8:39 am    

They are great guitars, I have had afew over the years and have finally managed to get one of the Dobro ones which is aesthetically more going on but fundamentally the same. They do benefit from a tone control which allows Dark sounds through to bright chiming tones.

Consider re energising the horseshoe magnet and see what that brings to the party.

I have a B6 Rickenbacker, a supro (strings through pickup) and the cast Dobro, the other two win the tone and pickup race but the Dobro is in it's own way fantastic, Scale length, weight feel etc.

Peter Funk

Germany
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2018 1:13 am    

Finally the "National" moved into my house Very Happy
It sounds amazing with tons of sustain (played over a Fender Princeton). I'll post a soundclip as soon as I have time to record ...

(the ukulele player from my band will get the Dobro. He says that the guitars shouldn't be seperated ...)