The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  George L's Pickups
Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2018 2:31 am    

Man I can't praise the pickup enough.

Carried my trusty steel to Denmark street to test out a few amps and of course try some other steel's on the market as we do. More so to study pickups and wood types, bridge and nut materials. - I'm geeking out sorry I like to study things. I will post some more queries about these things as I'm intrigued about pedal steel nuts and bridge materials.

Anyway tried a bunch of different unused relic's (Gibson's, Fenders and boutique steels) and on my Lap Steel which had the George L's had so much room I was able to go from mellow smooth to crisp and shiny and every other colour in between.

I recommend that you give the E-66 a try. I was playing Cherokee through some old Vox tube amps and newer solid state amps but all I could say is character.

Well Done George L. You absolutely broke the mold when you made this one. Dare say there was a pedal steel as well that sounded pale in comparison. Had me smiling all over. Two guys from the shop asked who setup the pickups etc. Literally its straight out the box and screwed on top. LOL.

My George L - E66 from the George L website.
12 Stg. 19.5 Ohms The E-66 was designed by George L. Lewis for Buddy Emmons to give that 1966 sound that made him famous!
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"

Jouni Karvonen

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2018 5:41 am    

I can second previous. Except there's not too many lap steels in around this part of the world.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2018 1:27 pm    

Whoah! I *want* one of those!

I have no idea how I'd play it - I just WANT it!

Laughing Whoa! Laughing Whoa!
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Tom Cooper

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2018 4:09 pm     E66

I got an E66 with my 10 string Hudson. Just went with it because he quoted me such a good price I figured I can change out later if don’t like. I didn’t even know it was a humbucker. He said he wired it to have some single coil qualities, but still be hum canceling. I have grown quite fond of it, quite nice for E13. Top not too bright, stays clear and separated even through dark clanky octal preamp tubes. Jazzy and warm. Nice bonus is the growl when pushed to overdrive. Comes in handy for lap steel rocker time. Some say not enough lows but I can’t really tell. It’s E13 with a maple body, gonna be bright anyway. I use an Xotic EP booster that gives me low end bump. So that’s not an issue. Plus my tube pre is really dark through a LTD 400 I get plenty of low. The E66 has made me want to explore other humbuckers. Great pickup indeed.