The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Travis Toy Speaker shoot out - p2pAmps Shop
Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2018 6:40 pm    

Douglas Schuch wrote:
Guys, that is really cool. I've heard lots of pedal steel comparisons on this forum... and they all sound the same. I've heard pickup comparisons... that all sounded alike. But the amps and speakers - those difference I can hear! I am convinced that what impacts tone, in order of significance is:

player

equalization of the amp

type of amp

speaker

followed by, in no particular order,

guitar

pickup

This is based on somewhat limited experience, so I could change my opinion down the road. But that is what I've heard based on my own tests and what's been posted.

So, to the test - the moment the Stereo Steel started, my ears perked up - Wow! Nice sound! Only then did they tell me what I was listening to, so no personal bias (Stereo Steel is my favorite amp... so far). I really like the SS with the TT. Maybe I just like alliteration? haha! The JBL (was that 15 or 12"?) was too bright. Maybe adjusting the amp EQ would have tamed it, but I did not like it as demo'd. It might work for a total West Coast sound maybe.... Then the Telonics - I was surprised as I expected these to sound very similar based on them being made by the same company. But the distinctions are very clear. At first listen I preferred the TT. But as I listened more, I sensed the the Telonics stood out for lower mids-bass - and would probably work better than the others on C6.

At 6:28 there is a cut - I think you are using the TT, then switch to the Telonics at 6:40? If so, you really hear the bass come through on the Telonics - that would be really important on the lower range of the C6.

The final stuff, with the Telonics sounds great - but amazingly different than the stuff with the Stereo Steel - but you changed players.... See #1 above! I don't know if it is the amp or the EQ, or the player but the Telonics has a more modern sound vs. the brighter tone of the SS. If you compare the tone at 4:45 to the tone at 7:22 you hear what I mean. This is the SS with the Telonics 15 vs. the Telonics amp with the TT 12. We've already heard the TT 12 - and it sounded pretty bright - so the difference in tone is either the player or the amp. Or both.

My conclusions - if I only played E9 I'd strongly consider the TT, probably the 12, but depends on what box I was putting it in. If I played D-10, I think I'd opt for the Telonics 15. the subtle differences in the midrange should be well within the range of the amp's EQ - particularly the Stereo Steel, which has really great EQ to dial in your desired tone.

If I wanted a more classic steel tone, I'd opt for the Stereo Steel (of the amps tested). If I wanted a more modern tone, I might consider the Telonics.

Some additional thoughts - In future tests like this I would suggest mounting the camera in one place and leaving it - the angle relative to the speakers can greatly influence how they sound. I applaud you for not having too many variables. We obviously did not hear every possible combo, but heard enough to draw some tentative conclusions. Be careful of overly-done effects (the delay at the outset was a bit heavy, IMO and distracted. Either I got use to it, or it was reduced).

Again, great job, guys. Not all of us live in Nashville where we can easily test gear. Good tests like this help everyone buy gear that works for them!

Hey Douglas. Nice observations. The only thing the video didn't show was Billy Easton wearing out a C6th neck with his Stereo Steel and my 12" speaker. It was his favorite speaker for C6th as well. It's a common misconception that 12" speakers can't handle the C6th tuning. Maybe historically that has been the case, and I guess it's still the case with some other 12" speakers, but certainly not mine. The usable frequency range on the 12 is 50 Hz - 3.8 kHz.

MIchael Bean

North Of Boston
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2018 12:27 pm    

I have two of the Double-T 12 speakers, and it is a great speaker for guitar as well as the intended steel guitar. I have one in my main steel cab , powered by the Quilter Tone Block 200, and one in my Allen Accomplice tube amp. It cuts through a mix without being harsh. It'll cut off the ice pick highs of a Telecaster, while leaving all the twang. On my last two gigs, I played bass through the TT/Quilter for a couple of songs in a trio setting, no drums. It projected the lows pretty well.

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2018 12:56 pm    

MIchael Bean wrote:
I have two of the Double-T 12 speakers, and it is a great speaker for guitar as well as the intended steel guitar. I have one in my main steel cab , powered by the Quilter Tone Block 200, and one in my Allen Accomplice tube amp. It cuts through a mix without being harsh. It'll cut off the ice pick highs of a Telecaster, while leaving all the twang. On my last two gigs, I played bass through the TT/Quilter for a couple of songs in a trio setting, no drums. It projected the lows pretty well.

Nice! Can’t ask for more than that. Glad you like them Michael. 🍻

-t