The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  bar blocking?
Greg Earnest

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2018 11:04 am    

I'm two months into learning pedal steel and having a great time. . . what an addictive instrument! I'm working through the Bill Keith/Winnie Winston book.

My question is about blocking. . . I have played dobro for years, so the typical dobro technique of blocking by slightly lifting the bar so the trailing fingers damp the strings is second nature to me. This doesn't seem to be the way it's done on pedal steel. . . how important is it for me to learn palm blocking? Will the bar blocking cause me problems later on?

thanks,

greg

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2018 11:28 am    

Learn and use all methods of blocking (bar lifting, palm blocking, and pick blocking). Relying on only one or two methods may limit you when you're called upon to emulate other players.

A few players even block in front of the bar using their left thumb, but I personally haven't found widespread use of that one.

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2018 1:55 pm    

I use the tip of my bar thumb to block the 7th string sometimes. Yes to what Donny said: use 'em all. Beware of overusing the bar-lift method. I came from dobro, too, and it felt so natural to lift the bar, but keeping the bar down and learning to palm and pick-block is best, I think. They all have their uses.
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2018 6:12 pm    

Greg, I've had a couple of students who were bar-lifters. Neither was aware they were doing that. Both had terrible tone caused by subtle raspy noise that occurred on both the lifting and the setting back down on strings of the bar. As soon as they quit doing that, the yone improved immensely.

If you're able to do that move without added noise, then don't worry. Almost anything can work on pedal steel.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2018 7:48 am    

Quote:
A few players even block in front of the bar using their left thumb, but I personally haven't found widespread use of that one.

I do that... and I never intended to, just noticed one day I was doing it. I think I read somewhere more or less what Donny said, any way you can block effectively is fair game.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2018 10:23 am    

A Stevens type Dobro bar is pretty light. Constant lifting of a 7/8 Steel bar seems like it would be a lot of work for the left hand. Might it result in fatigue and possible stress injury? If that is going to be one of your go-to techniques for blocking, you might consider a lighter weight bar.

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2018 10:45 am    

A TriboTone, or other plastic bar is light, easy to hold and is easy to lift.

When I play my D8 non-pedal I use a TriboTone and end up lifting it a lot. Almost never lift a bar on my PSG, unless on the C6 neck...with the TriboTone.
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2018 12:35 pm    

I played Dobro for years first as well and mostly bar block. I rarely palm block at all - never been able to work out the technique, but I don't play traditional pedal steel and it's relatively unimportant.

AsJohn said - if you can do it without noise, don't worry about it. *If* you can learn to palm block it might be a useful tool, but I wouldn't stress about it.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Greg Earnest

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2018 4:54 pm    

Thanks for the replies, everybody!

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2018 10:15 am    

I'm with Jim.
That's the only way I block, pick up the bar and let the bar fingers do the blocking.
I get NO extraneous noise. Very Happy
Erv