The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Volume pedal
Jeffrey York

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2018 10:46 am    

I have a question regarding my volume pedal. I have been playing for 2 months and have not payed much attention to it yet. My question is, how should the pedal be adjusted? Should the pedal go from no volume to maximin, or should the range be less, somewhere in between. Thanks for any advice. Jeff.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2018 11:00 am    

I think most are set up to go from "no sound" to "nearly full" sound. (Pot pedals usually have a little loss, but it's not to be considered significant.) Some powered pedals can actually be adjusted to make your guitar louder than going straight into the amp, but this can cause problems with overloading and distortion, so it's not usually recommended. Lastly, a few players seem to want some signal always going through the amp, so they adjust the pedal so the sound never is completely off.

Jeffrey York

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2018 11:04 am    

Thanks for your help, Donny.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2018 2:01 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
I think most are set up to go from "no sound" to "nearly full" sound. (Pot pedals usually have a little loss, but it's not to be considered significant.) Some powered pedals can actually be adjusted to make your guitar louder than going straight into the amp, but this can cause problems with overloading and distortion, so it's not usually recommended. Lastly, a few players seem to want some signal always going through the amp, so they adjust the pedal so the sound never is completely off.

I'm one of those. I have my Hilton pedal set for some signal to come through when off. It is the volume I know I will never go below, and set my amp level to that. That way I have more headroom at the end of the pedal throw.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2018 3:11 pm     Volume Pedal

Using a Hilton or a Goodrich my volume is never off. I pull back when needed. I use the pedal for sustain and also bringing me in when a fill or lead is present. My right foot is basically in a floating motion at all times. Use it to present your tone between moves on the neck. Easier to show than it is to tell. Takes a while to get used to. Works in the same reaction as my left hand, right hand, left knee, right knee, left foot and right foot. It just sort of works naturally with each other. Use it without thinking mostly.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2018 11:21 pm     Volume Pedal

I have never worked on an electronic like a Hilton.
On a Goodrich pedal or other pedals that uses the pulley wheel and string system, The size of the wheel determines how many degrees the pot will turn, Within the movement range of the pedal. The larger the pulley the less degrees it will turn. The smaller the wheel the more travel.
I like to use just the collar that fits on the shaft with a set screw to loop the string around, The string runs on the pot shaft itself for the most rotation possible. From off to full volume. My choice is just barely hear it when at its lowest.
Some pots when completely turned off will make a strange clunk sound when they are turned on.
Good Luck and Happy Steelin.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2018 12:45 pm    

Most players I know that use one (I normally don't) do not set them for "full off" except at home - maybe. With a band "full off" is actually quite a bit beyond the "audible" off level, as ambient and band backup sound quickly bury the sound at lower volume levels. It can help to have some level left when the pedal is backed all the way off.

It might not matter to you now, but you might want to get used to it being set like that if you ever plan to play with others.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2018 2:30 pm    

Word to the wise;
Never tell a studio engineer that it's a Volume Pedal;
Tell them it's an Expression Pedal, like on a Hammond!
Cuz they want to control ALL volumes!
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps