The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jackson guitars?
Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2018 2:45 pm    

Jerry, has the guitar been sold out from under you??

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2018 2:48 pm    

make sure guitar is what you need it to be, because there is no changing a set up later on... at least thats how it was on a few Jackson guitars I owned... great guitars tho ....

Hal Braun

Eustis, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2018 2:56 pm    

Damir Besic wrote:
make sure guitar is what you need it to be, because there is no changing a set up later on... at least thats how it was on a few Jackson guitars I owned... great guitars tho ....

This seems to be a prevalent rumor.. but my Blackjack 12 was set up as extended E9 and is now a pretty custom Sacred Steel tuning.. as I said, not as easy as an all pull, but can be done..

I would not sell mine for $1700! I'm with Mike.. grab it and go!

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2018 3:02 pm    

it is not a rumor, guitars I had could not be changed, maybe yours is different ... on one of mine Harry Jackson changed the position of the knee lever, but that was as far as even he would go, even he said it was not possible to change copedent... that guitar originally belonged to Bobbe Seymour ... Jacksons are constantly changing stuff on their guitars, so it is entirely possible that on your guitar you can change something I couldn't on mine...

this guitar is worth $2200-$2300 IMHO , so yes, grab it and go Smile

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2018 4:50 pm    

Jerry,
That sounds like a good deal on a very nice steel. I doubt you will need more than that for a long while. It would be a great first steel.

The fact that two forum members tried to buy it and pay shipping , suggests that its likely a good deal on a fine instrument.

Sounds like if you ever need to sell it, you may have two potential buyers.

I like to think us Steel pickers are an above average segment of society. Occasionally someone ( or two) proves me wrong.

If you want it, I hope you get it.

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2018 5:25 pm    

Mike Wheeler wrote:
Jerry, has the guitar been sold out from under you??

It is still up so no one has bought it yet. I have an agreement with the gent that if it does not sell by next weekend I will go over and pick it up. He told me to call him in the middle of the week. He also told me that after I posted he got two offers from members who saw the ad on the site and offered to buy it with shipping. He does not want to ship. So far, everytime I have went to pull the trigger it was to late, maybe this time.
It is a standard E9 tuning so it should be fine to learn on. I had a 72 D10 Marlen for a short time and started to learn most of the chords on that and it should be pretty close?

Last edited by Jerry Dragon on 3 Feb 2018 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2018 5:30 pm    

Damir Besic wrote:

even if one is a class A machinist?

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2018 5:36 pm    

Jerry Dragon wrote:
Damir Besic wrote:

well, I don't know about machinists classes , I would imagine Harry Jackson is pretty good machinist himself, after all, he built those guitars, and even he doesn't want to mess with that... I'm just telling what I heard, and thought you may want to know, if you buy the guitar or not, either way, none of my business , you do whatever you want to do ...

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2018 6:09 pm    

Well, mine is a different animal mechanically, but my Jackson Pro IV is the best sounding guitar I have owned. Sort of a super Sho Bud. Mine is a conventional all-pull guitar, so changing things is no big deal. But the sound and playability is great, and it's very well made. Unless you have some plan that a conventional setup isn't for you, I'd grab the guitar. There are reasons that "conventional" setups have become the norm. That's a great price I think.

Dave

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2018 2:56 am    

Damir Besic wrote:
Jerry Dragon wrote:
Damir Besic wrote:

well, I don't know about machinists classes , I would imagine Harry Jackson is pretty good machinist himself, after all, he built those guitars, and even he doesn't want to mess with that... I'm just telling what I heard, and thought you may want to know, if you buy the guitar or not, either way, none of my business , you do whatever you want to do ...

I was just asking, I had no idea who Harry Jackson was till now. The only reason I said class A is because they have classifications and I would meet the criteria. I have been a machinist almost fifty yeara. I was just wondering maybe it would be too difficult for a layman but not a machinist? I guess I asked the wrong gentleman.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2018 5:01 am    

Jerry Dragon wrote:
Damir Besic wrote:

My advice, if you want to learn to play, is to buy an all-pull (standard changer) guitar, something that is more conventional. Buying something that's more like what most other players are using will make solving any potential problems far easier! Also, avoid the temptation to go modifying and upgrading the guitar by remembering that your primary goal is learning to play music.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2018 5:25 am    

you asked, and I answered, I don’t know anything about machinists, or what “class A” means, and if you can work on guitar or not, I guess I shouldn’t have got involved in discussion, and let you find all that on your own, no wonder some guys stopped posting on here, I should probably do the same...

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2018 5:47 am    

Quote:

Jerry Dragon wrote:
...the ...forum members who after reading this thread tried to buy the guitar out from under me by having it shipped.

NOT COOL. We're not supposed to do things like that.

We all need to remember that, while you have to be a member to post, ANYONE can read the Steel Guitar Forum (even banned members).

I think most of the members here are honorable people. But anyone interested in steel guitars will likely find this site very quickly in their search for information or instruments. And I would not have it any other way - the info freely available on the forum helped me to make a wise decision on my first pedal steel. I might not have joined if I had no idea what information was available.

Last edited by Douglas Schuch on 4 Feb 2018 5:55 am; edited 1 time in total

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2018 5:55 am    

Great players have made entire careers on guitars that had no more mechanical capability than this one.

Lots of us never really learn what can be done with two pedals and one lever, yet we think we have to have an E9 guitar with four pedals and five levers, splits, bla bla bla. Human nature, I guess.

Michael Weaver

Buffalo Grove, IL
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2018 9:20 am    

I agree 100% with Mr.Hinson's post.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2018 11:28 pm    

Jerry,Your Sierra Hat has arrived,I will show you whatever I can to help you!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2018 4:23 pm    

I swear by my Jackson SD10 Pro IV. These are QUALITY instruments, I've put thousands of miles on mine since I got it in 2011, and it's still perfect in every way.

This is a steal of a deal. Just go buy it now before someone else does. If you want to sell it later, you'll make money. It's a no-brainer.

Franklin

Post  Posted 8 Feb 2018 9:02 pm    

I would contact the Jackson guitar company first...David is great with helping folks and you may be able to get one of his newer models for near the same price.
Paul

Tim Sergent

Hendersonville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2018 9:40 pm    

I've been playing Jackson steel guitars on the road for about 10 years or so now. I love them. They are great people to work with. David told me that I could trade my guitar in on a new one every couple of years (I told him I didn't even change strings that often). Once I got my Pro IV I didn't need to trade it in on a new one. The black one I play now is the red one I got first. I just asked David if he could paint it black for me. If it ain't broke don't fix it was my thought. I also have a Blackjack Custom SD-10 that sounds great. It's the one I use most on TV and awards shows...because it's lighter. I'm talking with them about building me an E9th with a 6 string lap steel on the back neck just to make the crew guys happy. I also play a Jackson Slide King on stage that I have on legs so I can hold a banjo (sorry b0b!) and play it on the same song.

Here's a little story about how good their customer service is... Harry Jackson told me one time to bring my steel and my amp out to his shop and he would sit and wind pickups until I got one I liked. How's that for service? I keep forgetting that these are the very same guys that wound pickups for a whole bunch of my steel guitar heroes in the past.

So like Paul said...call David or Harry first and talk to them. I feel sure that you won't be disappointed.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2018 3:04 am    

Damir I think you and Bobbe had the "Madison 63" model which I nearly bought one from Gary Sill. That particular model was a copy of the old Sho-Bud Permanents and was a pull release with welded bellcranks. They sound incredible but you are pretty well stuck with what it comes with. I believe they dropped that model from the line. The Blackjack is an entirely different animal.

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2018 9:13 am    

Chris LeDrew wrote:
I swear by my Jackson SD10 Pro IV. These are QUALITY instruments, I've put thousands of miles on mine since I got it in 2011, and it's still perfect in every way.

This is a steal of a deal. Just go buy it now before someone else does. If you want to sell it later, you'll make money. It's a no-brainer.

Well,it is still up on CL and is still for sale as far as I can tell. I have emailed the gent a few times since we came to the agreement that if it was not sold by this weekend I could come up and pick it up for the price agreed. I have asked him for a phone number numerous times. So far he has quit answering my emails and has not sent me a phone number. So, I have to assume he does not want to sell it for what we agreed on and I will have to look elsewhere?

Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2018 9:54 am    

Jerry Dragon wrote:
Chris LeDrew wrote:

Well,it is still up on CL and is still for sale as far as I can tell. I have emailed the gent a few times since we came to the agreement that if it was not sold by this weekend I could come up and pick it up for the price agreed. I have asked him for a phone number numerous times. So far he has quit answering my emails and has not sent me a phone number. So, I have to assume he does not want to sell it for what we agreed on and I will have to look elsewhere?

As Paul F. said above, it would be a good idea to give David a shout. He may have a used Blackjack or something hanging around the shop in that price range, and you'd get a guaranteed instrument with no worries. If you were more so looking for a used steel in your neighbourhood as opposed to a Jackson in particular, I guess it's back to trying the seller again or looking elsewhere.

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2018 11:31 am    

Chris LeDrew wrote:
Jerry Dragon wrote:
Chris LeDrew wrote:

As Paul F. said above, it would be a good idea to give David a shout. He may have a used Blackjack or something hanging around the shop in that price range, and you'd get a guaranteed instrument with no worries. If you were more so looking for a used steel in your neighbourhood as opposed to a Jackson in particular, I guess it's back to trying the seller again or looking elsewhere.

I looked through this thread for a post by someone named Paul F. and I can't find one?

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2018 11:42 am    

Jerry Dragon wrote:

I looked through this thread for a post by someone named Paul F. and I can't find one?

Paul just uses his last name; Franklin, when he posts.

We have been talking about the quality of Jackson guitars
but we have not talked about whether the seller is being up front. The fact that he won't give you his phone number is troubling.

If this deal falls through, you might want to get one of the guitars being sold here on the forum. There are a lot of good ones here.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2018 12:55 pm    

The guitar has been sold. Steel guitarists here in western Mass. have been aware of this Craigslist post for two weeks.

Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 9 Feb 2018 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total