The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Delay pedal placement in the signal chain
Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2018 1:41 pm    

I noticed that the placement of a delay stompbox sounds different (better-to my ears) when placed after the volume pedal & before the preamp, as compared to placing it in the pre-amp FX loop.

Anyone else ever observed this?

If so, why would that be the case?

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2018 2:58 pm    

Depends on what the difference really consists of; change in distortion, change in noise, change in linearity, something else, or all the before mentioned.

Also, when placed after the VP, does the delay become the first active stage in your sound-chain? That will definitely sound "different" compared to having it in an FX loop and run the signal with no buffers and/or effect units all the way from PU to amp-input.

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2018 3:30 pm    

Georg Sørtun wrote:
Depends on what the difference really consists of; change in distortion, change in noise, change in linearity, something else, or all the before mentioned.

Also, when placed after the VP, does the delay become the first active stage in your sound-chain? That will definitely sound "different" compared to having it in an FX loop and run the signal with no buffers and/or effect units all the way from PU to amp-input.

George, thanks for responding. The delay pedal is an Earthquake Dispatchmaster and it is the only device in the signal chain placed between a Hilton volume pedal and Quilter Steelaire input. As far as sound quality is concerned, the delay sounds more distinct and pronounced, when placed after the volume pedal as opposed to the in the FX loop.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2018 3:50 pm    

Just guessing here, as I no nothing about the Steelaire or the Earthquake … the average levels coming out of the Hilton VP (which is the first active stage in your sound-chain), are probably quite a bit lower than what comes out of "send" in the FX loop.
So, the delay unit probably distorts slightly (sounds a bit rawer/rougher) when placed in the FX loop, and sounds cleaner right after the VP.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2018 4:02 pm    

Click Here

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 8 Feb 2018 4:53 pm    

This is probably and Electronics topic, BUT I always found it changes the impedance going to the amp if you place it before the preamp and you don't get the FULL benefit of the pickup load. as in 17K 18k whatever your pickup is wound to.

Once Peavey started making loops, I started going from guitar pickup direct to Amp input then placing the volume pedal AND the delay and/ or reverb in the loop 1 and loop 2 slots. With what I would describe as a BETTER tone for my ears. I also hooked up this way when I used Evans stereo equipment. In my opinion, the BEST tone I ever had, consistently.

Going direct and using the loops, At the very least, the full load of the pickup is present at the preamp, which in my opinion represents the guitar at its maximum tone, if that makes sense. Electronically and sonically, it makes sense to me to have FULL load on the preamp at all times.

I'm sure others will have opinions and your mileage will vary depending upon your specific needs, wants and expectations of the tone you expect to hear from the amp.

Its a great topic. I learned a lot experimenting with this in different configurations.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2018 5:19 pm    

Bill C. Buntin wrote:
Going direct and using the loops, At the very least, the full load of the pickup is present at the preamp, which in my opinion represents the guitar at its maximum tone, if that makes sense. Electronically and sonically, it makes sense to me to have FULL load on the preamp at all times.
Not arguing with your - or anyone else's - taste and/or setup, so I'll just add a correction: The preamp's input loads the PU in a setup like you describe, not the other way round. The PU clamps down the cable leading from it to your amp with its impedance and DC-resistance, but that's another matter.