The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Travis Toy Speaker shoot out - p2pAmps Shop
Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2018 6:30 am    

Wednesday nights at my house are always fun and entertaining... This week we decided to do speaker night. Travis Toy brought over a car load of amps and speakers along with Randy Beavers, Wayne Dahl, and Billy Easton. We stayed busy swapping speakers all night comparing this to that and different combinations of stuff. Some of the amps we tried were a few I built, Telonics, Stereo Steel, Peaveys (Nashville 400, Nashville 115, and the Robert Randolph model head too), and Randy's Brad Sarno Pre with Furlong powered speaker setup. All the amps sounded good but it was an interesting night comparing speakers.

Some of the speakers we compared to were Telonics 12" and 15" in both my combo and a 15" extention cab, JBL D120F and 15" K140, Black Widow 1501, and stock speaker in the Peavey 115.

At the end of a long night it was pretty darn unanimous that the Travis Toy T-12 was the winner over every other speaker we compare to.

Here is a link to some videos pieced together. More than the speaker tests, it shows a bunch of friends just having fun.

As an adding laugh I introduced Travis to my 175lb dog! Now that was funny Smile

Youtube video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0b7qUPPKwI&t=26s

Zum double Hybrid 8x9, 64 Twin (JBLs), p2pAmps Bad-Dawg, p2pAmps Tremendous Reverb, Visit my website www.p2pamps.com

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2018 6:38 am    

Also, make sure you stop by and say hello to Travis at the Dallas show and check out his speaker line-up. I will be there as well with my p2pAmps loaded with his speakers. Come on by and get to know us

Zum double Hybrid 8x9, 64 Twin (JBLs), p2pAmps Bad-Dawg, p2pAmps Tremendous Reverb, Visit my website www.p2pamps.com

Chris Tarrow

Maplewood, NJ
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2018 7:48 am    

awesome thank you for this!

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2018 8:12 am    

The most fun I’ve ever had in a garage with Billy Easton...

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2018 8:31 am    

Cool stuff guys. They all sound good. Thanks for posting.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2018 8:39 am    

Thanks for posting! Good to hear positive reviews on the TT 12 speaker since I just bought one for the Allen Amplification Encore kit I am building. It will have 6L6's with the upgraded iron and a tube rectifier since I am also using it for guitar.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2018 9:01 am    

I've had a TT12 for a while (last year). I find it works very good on E9th and "OK" on C6th. However, it was bought primarily for a speaker for my wife and her GFI S-10 (E9th) so it works great for that.

I use an EPS-15C with my D-10 Franklin.

Randy Beavers

Lebanon,TN 37090
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2018 9:46 am    

A lot of folks take a speaker for granted, but in my opinion there's nothing that changes the character of an amp more. Some of the swaps they made were huge.

Again it was a fun night of frienship, story telling (some of it true), and learning. We all left with more than we came with. Sorry Mike...

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2018 10:37 am    

Well I'm glad to say I just got my TT T-12 hooked up to my new Quilter 101 Reverb head,,,great combo,,,the whole rig weighs around 20,,,maybe 22 lbs!! I have made a bracket to attach the head to the side of my pac seat,,,I'll post a pic soon. You know what,,,I STILL don't sound like Randy B.,,,,LOL!!!!

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2018 10:42 am    

Randy Beavers wrote:
A lot of folks take a speaker for granted, but in my opinion there's nothing that changes the character of an amp more. Some of the swaps they made were huge.

Again it was a fun night of frienship, story telling (some of it true), and learning. We all left with more than we came with. Sorry Mike...

Randy lifted my Telefunkin tubes darn it!

Ray DeVoe

Hudson, FL
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2018 3:25 pm    

Randy lifted my Telefunkin tubes darn it!

Hey Mike,
I would bet that you probably had those chrome 705's under lock and key Smile

Great tests guys and it sure looked like fun. I have 2 of the Double T twelves in Furlong splits and they sound great with an Octal Revelation.

Ray D

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2018 3:29 pm    

That's a great speaker demo Mike. They all sounded good to me but the TT model for sure sounded better to my ears. Did Travis design those speakers or just endorse a model? I would have to set amp on a stand before I could get an opinion. I can't stand the sound of whatever amp I'm using on the floor but a lot of players set them right on floor.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Mike Taylor

Wetumpka, AL
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2018 5:06 pm    

Nice

Last edited by Mike Taylor on 9 Feb 2018 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2018 5:35 pm    

Nice impromptu speaker shootout. Gonna check me out one of the TT 15”!

Mike Taylor

Wetumpka, AL
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2018 5:57 pm    

Gents..

Any thoughts on how it would sound for those of us doing double duty on 6 string???

Thanks
Mike

Billy Easton

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2018 6:41 pm    

And may I say it is the most fun I have had in a garage with Travis Toy......and Randy Beavers and Wayne Dahl and Mike Skaggs! Thanks guys, it was a great time! And the TT speakers are tops! We all agreed!!

Billy

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2018 7:08 pm    

Henry Matthews wrote:
That's a great speaker demo Mike. They all sounded good to me but the TT model for sure sounded better to my ears. Did Travis design those speakers or just endorse a model? I would have to set amp on a stand before I could get an opinion. I can't stand the sound of whatever amp I'm using on the floor but a lot of players set them right on floor.

Hey Henry. My speakers are completely new builds from the ground up. I spent 9 months with an engineer on the 12”, and 6 more months on the 15”. They are unlike anything else on the market, and unlike anything else that Eminence makes.

-t

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2018 8:52 pm    

Thanks very much Travis, you all ate awesome

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Steve Sycamore

Sweden
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2018 12:26 am    

Revealing! It gets unclear though what speaker is being played at what time. Any chance text could be added to show that?

I'm also curious how the speakers sound with electric guitar through a tube amp, clean and with maximum gain. I'm reconing a D130 that I intend to use only for electric guitar. The 15 inch speakers currently being manufactured vary a lot in tonality and good shoot-outs are lacking.

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2018 3:39 am    

Steve Sycamore wrote:
Revealing! It gets unclear though what speaker is being played at what time. Any chance text could be added to show that?

I'm also curious how the speakers sound with electric guitar through a tube amp, clean and with maximum gain. I'm reconing a D130 that I intend to use only for electric guitar. The 15 inch speakers currently being manufactured vary a lot in tonality and good shoot-outs are lacking.

Steve, I will know soon about how the T-12 does on guitar. I have ordered a 1x12 baffle for my custom DR I built and plan to through Travis's speaker in there and give it a whirl. I will be replacing 2x10 golds which are great too.

As far as the video goes, it was a bit confusing but I think we kinda say out loud most the time what we are playing through. Keep in mind this was all recorded with an iPhone LOL. When you get your ears on these guys the sound difference is very apparent. I think the biggest contrast I heard all night was the T-15 vs the JBL e140. The JBL was way brighter and more sizzle than the T15. The 12s were just more clear and defined without being harsh or brash.

It was a good night no doubt and this will continue to be the highlights of my week.

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2018 3:41 am    

Mike Taylor wrote:
Gents..

Any thoughts on how it would sound for those of us doing double duty on 6 string???

Thanks
Mike

I will have more on this soon as my 12' baffle shows for my DR. I will make another video with that amp and post soon.

Mike Taylor

Wetumpka, AL
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2018 2:15 pm    

Mike..
Looking forward to it. Love my fender tube amps, but not the weight!!!

Mike

Bruce Bouton

Nash. Tn USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2018 9:25 am    

What was Wayne Dahl playing through at the end of the video?
Curious as to both the amp and the speaker.
Thanks!
BB

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2018 10:25 am    

Bruce Bouton wrote:
What was Wayne Dahl playing through at the end of the video?
Curious as to both the amp and the speaker.
Thanks!
BB

The Telonics 12” combo amp, with my 12” speaker in it.

-t

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2018 1:30 pm    

Guys, that is really cool. I've heard lots of pedal steel comparisons on this forum... and they all sound the same. I've heard pickup comparisons... that all sounded alike. But the amps and speakers - those difference I can hear! I am convinced that what impacts tone, in order of significance is:

player

equalization of the amp

type of amp

speaker

followed by, in no particular order,

guitar

pickup

This is based on somewhat limited experience, so I could change my opinion down the road. But that is what I've heard based on my own tests and what's been posted.

So, to the test - the moment the Stereo Steel started, my ears perked up - Wow! Nice sound! Only then did they tell me what I was listening to, so no personal bias (Stereo Steel is my favorite amp... so far). I really like the SS with the TT. Maybe I just like alliteration? haha! The JBL (was that 15 or 12"?) was too bright. Maybe adjusting the amp EQ would have tamed it, but I did not like it as demo'd. It might work for a total West Coast sound maybe.... Then the Telonics - I was surprised as I expected these to sound very similar based on them being made by the same company. But the distinctions are very clear. At first listen I preferred the TT. But as I listened more, I sensed the the Telonics stood out for lower mids-bass - and would probably work better than the others on C6.

At 6:28 there is a cut - I think you are using the TT, then switch to the Telonics at 6:40? If so, you really hear the bass come through on the Telonics - that would be really important on the lower range of the C6.

The final stuff, with the Telonics sounds great - but amazingly different than the stuff with the Stereo Steel - but you changed players.... See #1 above! I don't know if it is the amp or the EQ, or the player but the Telonics has a more modern sound vs. the brighter tone of the SS. If you compare the tone at 4:45 to the tone at 7:22 you hear what I mean. This is the SS with the Telonics 15 vs. the Telonics amp with the TT 12. We've already heard the TT 12 - and it sounded pretty bright - so the difference in tone is either the player or the amp. Or both.

My conclusions - if I only played E9 I'd strongly consider the TT, probably the 12, but depends on what box I was putting it in. If I played D-10, I think I'd opt for the Telonics 15. the subtle differences in the midrange should be well within the range of the amp's EQ - particularly the Stereo Steel, which has really great EQ to dial in your desired tone.

If I wanted a more classic steel tone, I'd opt for the Stereo Steel (of the amps tested). If I wanted a more modern tone, I might consider the Telonics.

Some additional thoughts - In future tests like this I would suggest mounting the camera in one place and leaving it - the angle relative to the speakers can greatly influence how they sound. I applaud you for not having too many variables. We obviously did not hear every possible combo, but heard enough to draw some tentative conclusions. Be careful of overly-done effects (the delay at the outset was a bit heavy, IMO and distracted. Either I got use to it, or it was reduced).

Again, great job, guys. Not all of us live in Nashville where we can easily test gear. Good tests like this help everyone buy gear that works for them!