The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  D6/D overG
Paul DiMaggio

Fort Nelson, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2018 5:34 am    

I have been using this tuning, DAF#DBG, on my Dobro as a easy retune from high bass G. I like to play and sing and I use this for the tunes that have lots of minors in them. My question is; to put this tuning on an 8 string what notes would you use on the additional strings? Keeping it strumable is a priority.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2018 7:30 am    

I have the same question. I use the same intervals with an E over A tuning on lap steel. The easy answer would be to continue with the alternating minor and maj 3rds on two lower strings (an E and a C, in your case) but that doesn't really open up any different intervals. An F for your seventh string gives you a dominant seven for your G chord and a useful whole step interval but I'm not sure where to go for the eighth string after that. I know you mentioned strum-able but a nice thing about adding on the low end is that it's easy to avoid those strings when you don't need them. I hope we get some more suggestions.

Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2018 1:53 pm    

I like the F on the bottom to make the Dom7 chord.

My knee-jerk inclination would be to add a re-entrant C on the top, so you would have a D7 on top with the whole-tone interval between the 2 highest strings.

Chase Brady

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2018 2:52 pm    

The 6 string tuning you're using was suggested by Bob Lee in another thread some time ago. He called it D/G. His 8 string version was lo-hi G B D F# A B D F#. He called that one D6/G. I might point out the 8 string version is Don Helms' E6 only tuned down a whole step. I find the 6 string version great for Blues. The 8 string version is great for traditional country, and if you tune that 3rd string up to a C, it oozes blues.

Paul DiMaggio

Fort Nelson, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2018 3:30 pm    

Thanks Chase. I've been using that tuning since b0b wrote about it. For some reason I could not find the post where he extended it. So thanks again. You are also very right about inserting the C , it definitely oozes the blues!