The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Telonics 84 Adjustments
Rick Myrland

New Orleans
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2018 6:38 pm    

I installed a Telonics 84 on the E9 neck of my Mulled D-10 a few years back. Lately I’ve been wondering if I really am getting the tone potential out of it and want to make some adjustments. For starters I put a decibel reader on it (set at a consistent volume) and noticed a few strings are louder than the rest (particularly #6). I also noticed that when I futzed with a few poles they were really hard to turn.

I know Telonics provides a generic manual for setting these up and I essentially followed it upon initial setup, but can anyone offer some better insight on these things?

Should I reset them all to the middle and start over?

They are hard to turn: is it safe to use a lubricant like WD-40 (my guess is no)?

Can someone take a picture or even YouTube a video of how they have theirs set and why they are happy with it?

I think these are great pickups but a little better guidance on maximizing the tone would be hugely appreciated.

Thank,
Rick

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2018 7:14 pm    

David Hartley, the chap from England, has a YouTube video about adjusting the poles on a Telonics pickup.

John Hauck

Long Beach, California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2018 11:12 am    

Rick, I think this is the David Hartley YouTube vid. that Paul was referring to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T1KTOHacLs

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2018 11:46 am    

This is how mime came out, Ext E9..the same on all 3 of my guitars...Larry

Rick Myrland

New Orleans
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2018 5:19 pm    

Thanks for the info. I was adjusting one of the poles for the 3rd string and it was so tight it seemed to have stripped, thus making it impossible to turn. Any thoughts on how to address this?

Dave Beaty

Mesa, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2018 6:21 pm     Tight poles in Type 84 pickup

Rick,
We had a batch of material on the early 84 pickups that grabbed the adjustable poles too tightly, we thought we had caught them all but it sounds like the problem you are seeing.

If you wish, we will exchange the pickup at no charge and pay shipping both directions.

If you should wish to pursue using the one you have, we have built some small Tee-handle Allen wrenches with string protectors on them specifically to remove tight poles. We will be glad to send you one immediately at no charge if you will call Sophie or send an email with the address you would like us to use (sophie@telonics.com or 480 892-4444 ext. 102)

In the interim, if you have access to a properly fitting Allen driver on a 1/4" socket, or a large commercial Tee-handle Allen wrench, feel free to lean into the adjustable pole and remove it. The worst thing that could happen would be a broken pole and we would replace the pickup in any such case. Coating the pole with a VERY light film of thin oil and blotting off all you can before re-inserting the pole may resolve it. In any case, if you are not completely satisfied with these approaches, we will be happy to replace the pickup - please let us know at your convenience.

Whether you use your current pickup or a replacement, we'll be glad to help you with the alignment. if you will set up your guitar and amp ready to play, call Sophie and ask here to find me or Stacy, we'll be glad to walk you through the process.

I might add that adjusting the poles with an voltmeter or oscilloscope as some do, will not provide the same results you will hear with your ears due to the way the human aural system works. This is explained by the Fletcher-Munson Curve, which you can Google and gather a deeper understanding than time and print space will allow here.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fletcher-munson+curve+explanation&rlz=1C1RNBN_enUS528US604&oq=fletcher-muson&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l5.6007j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

We're glad to help in any way we can, we're all in this together!

Pick clean!

Dave

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2018 2:21 am    

now THAT is customer service!

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2018 11:19 am    

I also have an 84, and the poles are so hate to turn, it feels like the pickup is going to explode. I just leave it alone.

Dave Beaty

Mesa, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2018 12:15 pm     Pickup

Richard,
Sorry for your inconvenience, please see my post above - the same goes for you. Contact us at your convenience and we'll take care of it.
Dave

Rick Myrland

New Orleans
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2018 4:54 pm    

Richard,
I knew they were tight, but I ended up stripping not just the pole, but the hex tool that I had to adjust it upon installation. I ended up getting another Allen wrench and using a vice grips even to turn that.

All that said, I followed Dave’s advice and he was spot on. I agree with Dave Campbell, outstanding customer service. If they hadn’t won future business before, they have now: I’m looking to replace my amp speaker and it seems Telonics is the way to go.