The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Possibilities-Watch this
Charley Hill

The Dirty South
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2018 7:02 am    

Open your mind and think outside the box for a second. To think this is closer than it is not.

Although this video doesn't relate to the pedal steel guitar, it could be closer than we think.

So, if this could be accomplished with Pedal Steel, which guitar would you prefer to use and whose style would be best emulated?

In essence, this would be very difficult to accomplish with what the Pedal Steel is known for: The emotional content of music.

But, just like Johannes Gutenberg, the evolution of the printing press has evolved into-type writers, computers and so forth. So, can it be done with the Pedal Steel? Something to think about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAdqazixuRY Cool

Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2018 7:21 am     Boring

Charlie, that would be boring, the part I love about playin musical instruments Is making mistakes....hope you are doing ok, and Dixie....thanks jack

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2018 7:37 am    

I totally dig that- thanks Charley

Charley Hill

The Dirty South
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2018 7:37 am    

Jack,

Hope you and Martha are doing well, too. Dixie and I are working like honey bees here. New Projects are keeping us maxed out. I am working at the cabin from sun up to sun down. It is a busy time for us but thankful for the health to do what we are doing.

The message here touches on what you said and what I insinuated. Yes, it would be "Boring" on a singular level. But the innovator who designs and produces this technology, would be fascinating to him or her.

The technology to have an instrument to be played flawlessly without mistakes. Perfect pitch and tone?

The fantasia involved in just the thought process is invigorating and cultivating on a quantum level.

But, as you mentioned Jack....it would be boring and the sense of mechanical input. Absent the human effects and emotional content. In essence, thats what the drawing effect for most of us to the instrument. Thats what plucked our heart string....the emotional content.

Life is about the "What if's" and "What could be done" and the possibilities. Bud Issacs took that idea from one pedal to the next level of multiple pedals. What if Jack? What if.....

Please tell Martha hello for me! Love you guys!

Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2018 8:53 am     My steel

I just purchased a 1973 emmons pp from a friend of mine and it played the Opry with Connie smith last night on Opry encore....thanks jack

Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2018 10:08 am    

You can't argue that this took a lot of time and, yes, talent to arrange such a piece of very good music.
But as you and Jack brought out, the emotion and mistakes would be missing. Also ad-lib playing. The computer would only play what was programmed and play it the same way each time, what it "learned". People may play the same song, but differently each time (the ad-lib content), because of emotion. Also, it would not be able to "play" along with another unknown piece on its' own like people can. Just something to chew on............

....................Pat

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2018 4:09 pm    

I would like to have that much control over my band. LOL

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2018 7:49 pm    

Quote:
Perfect pitch and tone?

Small variations in pitch are a part of playing a string instrument. Whether steel or 6 (or 12, or 4 or whatever) string small pressure fluctuations, vibrato and such are HUGE parts of an individual's musical style! So playing perfectly-pitched notes is completely useless unless you want to play a relatively styleless type of "musical oatmeal".

And tone changes constantly with changes in hand position. I don't know any players that lock their hand into one position, and picking dynamics also change tone, attack, volume and so on.

Yes, you can create music robotically. That was some of the most mechanical and boring stuff I've ever heard. Because it *was* mechanical. I quickly reached the point of "who cares?"
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2018 7:54 am    

I'm reminded of the 80's "synth" groups, (like the Cars), am glad we got past all that!

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2018 9:54 am    

I find videos like this one fascinating.
I also like the music.
Whether you like what he does or not he is an inventive soul with just a wee bit of imagination,
skills with computers and robots and as I understand it it is his music.
There is music for everyone out there.
We aren't required to like all of it.
I certainly don't.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.