The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Started my homemade PSG
Jeffrey McFadden

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2018 11:35 am    

Having puzzled with it for a while I've decided to scratch build. I'll be working off Ray Moonraker's video series, https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL418CE24D80B70F7D
although I expect to make some changes to suit myself.
Living on a Veteran's disability, I have enough money but not a lot to spare. For the price of a decent PSG I could buy a mini lathe and milling machine plus considerable tooling, and might. But Ray's plans are buildable with tools I already own.
Anyway - made the first parts yesterday. The first step is, for me, always the hardest.
Probably won't finish for a few months, but I'll get there. Meanwhile still got my lap steel.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2018 12:12 pm    

Jeffrey,

I built my own with pretty much the tools I had. I bought a drill press but nothing else except a few taps and dies. If you have time and patience you can do a lot with very little.

Best of luck with your project

Ian

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2018 6:25 pm    

So far, I haven't built any steels. But wanting something I couldn't get elsewhere is what got me into building banjos. Turns out, I've done OK in the banjo building world, but getting the opportunity to make music out of something that I made with my hands and out of an idea I had in my mind is worth a lot. It's very satisfying, and I think that's what it's all about anyway. Press on!

Dave

Jeffrey McFadden

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2018 7:43 pm    

Thanks, guys.
I built my lap steel. 7 string, 2 pickup, cigar box for the electronics. Been playing it a few years now. I find it rewarding to play an instrument I built.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2018 9:07 pm     Started my homemade PSG

GOOD LUCK on your adventure. In 1968 I jumped in and what a trip. I thought a steel had to be a double neck. There 3 local guys I met that had made a set of masters for End Plates, Key Head, Pedal Bar, Pedals and Changer Pick Up Housing. A local foundry cast them of Aluminum, The foundry is now gone. The Changer Pick Up housing was built to light, I ended up casting 3 new heavy ones myself. That was another Adventure in itself.
The Pickups cost me 50.00 and a Fifth of Old Crow to get the Pickups, And the guy gave me a lesson in winding pickups in the process.
I had access to a friends steel of the same scale. I even made the Fret Boards of Plexi Glass. I rounded the edges and polished the edges, Then laid it on my friends steel fret board upside down and taped everything leaving the frets uncovered, Cut the markers then painted it white. Then removed the tape and painted it black. They have stayed in good shape for 40 years and kids around the steel set up. I felt like Johnny Cash and his Cadillac. Some screws and machine work went in and out of where I worked in my pockets and lunch box.

This was what I had at the end. I only got 3 pedals for the E9th neck. It tunes and holds tune well. It has 1/4" full apron aluminum rails in the front and back.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2018 9:11 pm    

You can't beat the satisfaction of playing something you built yourself.

Paul Arntson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2018 9:30 pm    

Very cool looking, Bobby!

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2018 8:15 am    

Hi Jeff, Years back I did the same thing. I had a good drill press, (Rockwell) so I brought a compound vise from Sears, a vice that travels both ways and a couple of end milling tools and along with a band saw made a lot of parts. You just cannot take a very big bite at a time with the drill press but you can get it done. It is a good feeling to step back and say I built that. I still have my first one. I sold it then brought it back a few years later just to have. Most tools that you will need you can get at Harbor Freight for half the price of Sears. Good Luck on your journey. J.R.

Jason Lynch

Essex, United Kingdom
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2018 8:23 am    

Good luck with it. Have a look at the pedal steel Builder’s forum. Lots of info on there.
I’m building my own too.

Jeffrey McFadden

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2018 10:55 am    

Jason Lynch wrote:
Good luck with it. Have a look at the pedal steel Builder’s forum. Lots of info on there.
I’m building my own too.

I don't see a Builder's Forum. Is that a separate site? I haven't stumbled across it. Do you have a link? Thanks.

Jeffrey McFadden

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2018 11:13 am     Re: Started my homemade PSG

Bobby D. Jones wrote:
The Pickups cost me 50.00 and a Fifth of Old Crow to get the Pickups, And the guy gave me a lesson in winding pickups in the process..

I've wound one pickup before. I bought an old treadle sewing machine which I am converting to a pickup winder, with a turn counter (magnet - reed switch - digital counter.) For fret spacing on my lap steel I used Stewart-McDonald's online fret calculator.
Machine head "ladders" can be very simple, made of wood, and work for years.
I'm seriously considering making the long sides with plexiglass windows so you can see the works. May use some exotic hardwood - there is a super good locally owned hardwood supplier not far from here. It's expensive if you need a lot, but it doesn't take much to build a guitar.

Jason Lynch

Essex, United Kingdom
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2018 11:14 am    

It is a separate site. Try
http://steelguitarbuilder.com/forum/index.php

Also look for the Amateur steel guitar builders page on Facebook.

Last edited by Jason Lynch on 7 Feb 2018 7:18 am; edited 1 time in total

Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2018 11:59 am    

Jeffery you have an email

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2018 8:55 am    

Keep us posted with your progress. As has been mentioned, hearing those first notes out of something you made is a truly wonderful experience.

I've been making stuff professionally and for my own self satisfaction all my adult life....heck, I still get a bit of a buzz when I'm tugging the garden cart I made for my wife around the farm!

Satisfaction from using things one has made is truly a gift that keeps on giving! Have fun!

Stephen Williams

from Wales now in Berkeley,Ca, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2018 6:42 pm    

I built my first with a cordless drill and a hacksaw. So there is hope.

Go on over to the Facebook forum....Amateur steel guitar builders. Lots of good information and good ole american ingenuity.

For example, i was having trouble tracking down springs heavy enough to hold my lowers. between $2-$3 each! Richard Miller who hangs out there said he uses Screen door springs and cuts them up. They are strong, and cheap at $2 for a 16" long spring. You then cut it into lengths as needed.

There are also builders there that can make parts for you for a pretty reasonable fee.

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2018 1:27 am     Bobby, A respectable Steel

For Bobby,
A respectable Steel for the time it was built.
Reminds me a bit of the early ZB's...
I think it looks great and bet those red pickups sound good.
If I'd done that back then I'd be a very proud fellow.
Have you ever thought to upgrade it now with knee levers?
Best wishes,
Andy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.