The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Static
Joe DePascale

New York, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2018 1:01 pm    

Good Afternoon everyone -
I’m having a little issue with static coming through the amp. I have a Peavey Nashville 112 and a Goodrich volume pedal. I notice when I depress the pedal I’m getting a little bit of static and I’m not sure if it’s the pedal or the amp itself. If I press the pedal to a certain volume level and take my foot off there’s no static until I depress it again. Also - the amp is right next to the guitar and would that cause interference ? The static is low not loud, but still annoying. Any idea what it could be ?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2018 1:16 pm    

You have a noisy pot in the pedal, or...your amp is leaking DC to the input. Try spraying the pot first with a cleaner/lubricant. Some pots have a metal cover on the back, and you can remove the cover by prying the tabs up holding the cover on, spray the element and slider inside, and then replace the cover as best you can. Other pots are molded, so there's no way to take them apart. You can spray them where the shaft enters the bushing, and sometimes it'll help. Other times, it won't, and you'll have to replace the pot. (Remember to use a spray/lubricant designed for pots and controls!)

If the amp is leaking DC to the input, it'll need to be serviced. If you try the above cleaning/lubing procedure, or replace the pot, and it still makes noise, the amp will require service.

Joe DePascale

New York, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2018 1:30 pm    

Ok and thank you for the help - I’ll have to get the lubricant and start with that

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2018 7:10 pm    

What Donny said.

It may take a few applications of cleaner/lubricant (Caig D5 and F5 are both good ones for pots, switches and jacks) followed by moving the pot through its travel.

If the noise does not stop after a few applications the pot may be shot. This can happen if pots are untreated for long periods of time - especially in humid conditions - or if a cleaner (without lubricant), WD40 or some other inappropriate material was used.

Non-lubricant types can destroy a pot almost immediately by flushing out the oils needed for proper operation. If the pot is ruined any competent guitar/amp tech can replace it - most pedals require a special pot that's not found "on the shelf".
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Joe DePascale

New York, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2018 10:10 am    

Just an update - I had D5 and sprayed the pot in the foot pedal and it looks like it solved the problem.
Thank you all again for the help