The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  60’s Emmons fretboards wrong ?
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2018 5:59 am    

This post reminded me about how the original metallic fretboards on my 67 Emmons steels are not accurate.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=314418&start=0

I am thinking about replacing them as long as I can remove the originals without damaging them.

I have not seen any information about the original fretboards being slightly off on the forum. They do look way cooler though.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2018 6:24 am    

I’ll donate $10 to the forum in honor of the first person to tell me about how it didn’t bother Buddy Emmons Smile

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2018 6:56 am    

I once read that Buddy practiced in the dark. I believe he didn't need to see the fretboard

john widgren

Wilton CT
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2018 7:36 am     Fretboards

Bob. I dont think you should remove the old fretboards. Just overlay the new FB amd install with a 1/4" strip of double stick tape around the edges of the repro FB with some gaps. Jut enuf to keep it on and no more. Be sure to align the octave correctly and if the two fretboards dont pass under the headstock neck clearance (too tight) just cut the repro with 3/32" clearance away from the headsock casting. The new FB will not slide underneath, but the neck with the old FB underneath the new FB will have room to move without binding on the casting. If you want to return to original, gently and slowly remove the FB overlay. The small amount of tape should not be destructive if you dont use too much. Neatness counts.

JW
widcj@hotmail.com

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2018 12:11 pm    

Hi Bob -

I'm pretty sure that whoever informed you the original metallic fret boards on your 67 Emmons steel are wrong,
was spreading "fake news."

Regards
Ron

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2018 12:13 pm    

Tom Bradshaw includes extensive instructions on how to remove the old fretboard with each of his after-market fretboards.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2018 12:39 pm    

I'm not going to mess with the fretboards for a while. So no worries.

And thanks to Rick the forum will be receiving a $10 donation !

I have gone over the fretboards with some great Texas players and as far as I can tell the old ones are not quite right after fret 15.

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2018 4:43 pm    

Quote:
I’ll donate $10 to the forum in honor of the first person to tell me about how it didn’t bother Buddy Emmons

Maybe that's another reason he disliked 66 and 67 aluminum Bolt On's so much. Very Happy

Do you have to play flat or sharp to be on pitch? To take it further. Are your fret-boards installed out of place? To close or to far from the roller bridge. Or, are the fret marks not calibrated correctly?

b.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2018 4:50 pm    

Up that high, frets are only a suggestion, anyway.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2018 4:56 pm    

They make fretless basses, violins and guitars/more, why not a fretless steel? I think I'm gonna cut a piece of cardboard and cover my fretboard, see how it goes. Winking

Jerry Jones

Franklin, Tenn.
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2018 6:50 pm    

Some time ago I created this table to compare similar fret distances without having to know the exact scale length. If you don't use a ruler you can make tick marks on a sheet of paper to make these comparisons.

Similar fret distances @ 24.250 scale length

fret 12 ⟶ 1 = fret 16 ⟶ 3 /.004 diff

fret 12 ⟶ 4 = fret 25 ⟶ 11 /.002 diff

fret 12 ⟶ 5 = fret 22 ⟶ 11 /.001 diff

fret 12 ⟶ 6 = fret 23 ⟶ 13 /.001 diff

One of my early Emmons guitars appeared to have slightly curved fret lines…..probably from the screening process.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2018 8:44 pm    

Tim Russell wrote:
I think I'm gonna cut a piece of cardboard and cover my fretboard, see how it goes. Winking

I've been covering the original fretboard on my lap steel with this specially made one. Very interesting! Razz

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2018 9:11 pm    

I discovered a while back that several original fretboards from 60’s Emmons guitars that I have had in my possesion were indeed “off”. Somewhere I have measurements and photos that document my findings. If anybody is interested I will try to hunt them up and post them.

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2018 9:25 pm    

edited for redundancy.🙂

Last edited by Tommy White on 2 Feb 2018 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2018 9:44 pm    

🤭

Last edited by Tommy White on 2 Feb 2018 7:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2018 10:06 pm    

Quote:
I discovered a while back that several original fretboards from 60’s Emmons guitars that I have had in my possesion were indeed “off”.

So did you replace them or learn to live with them?

b.

Last edited by Bobby Boggs on 2 Feb 2018 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2018 5:51 am    

I remember a lesson with Buddy Charleton where he showed me how he didn’t trust the frets on his steel past the 15th fret.

I was finding myself playing more country music where I needed to play 3 note chords constantly. Getting every note in tune with the band took some adjusting especially way up the neck. I was having some issues with my old Emmons and had a talk with Tommy Detamore who said to check the fretboard. That’s where I found that it was off. I started tuning straight up and playing a LeGrande III. Now playing up high was easy. And my intonation improved while on the bandstand. In my case having an accurate fretboard makes a difference. I need all the help I can get !

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2018 6:10 am    

Bobby Boggs wrote:
Me neither.

Quote:
I discovered a while back that several original fretboards from 60’s Emmons guitars that I have had in my possesion were indeed “off”.

So did you replace them or learn to live with them?

b.

In one case I did not want to remove the originals. However they were the steel “chrome look” boards and in certain lighting conditions the frets would all but disappear. So I bought some new repro boards, trimmed them a bit at the nut end, and put thin 1/32” magnetic tape on the back. This allowed me to attach them to the original boards. This is when I discovered the scale discrepancy between the two fretboards. My initial thought was “woah, these repro boards are off!”. But curiosity made me get out my calipers and calculator. And in doing so I determined that it was the original boards that were off, at least according to established mathmatical standards for the calculation of fret positions as they relate to scale length.

In another case, the boards were off the guitar already, having been replaced by repro boards.

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com

W. Van Horn

Houston, texas
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2018 8:50 am    

It's true. The original boards on my '69 are off. The 70's era PP's i've had were correct.
For the record - incorrect fretboards are indeed a pain. Especially if you play for a living and have to switch between two or more steels every day.
Muscle memory can get you used to a wrong board, but only if that's the only one you play.